Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 12:20 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Early 944 wiring harness

Since my wiring harness immolated itself under the dash back in November?, and following a recent move to another garage,/ house, I have been seeking a new harness. I called Kroon over in Holland today to check out what they had. Nothing for 944’s or 951’s. They would entertain the idea if they had an order(s) on the books for 50 units.No telling how long it would take as several of the harness parts are no longer available. So if anyone has an interest in placing an order this is what it would take. Price was not discussed, but since these are now about 40 year old cars, it might be worth considering. I will be pulling out the entire front, dash and console harnesses for a total replacement / rebuilding of them. Wish me luck..as this will not be a weekend project, nor will it be painless. I will be getting in touch soon with Sherco for the wire. Glad I have blown up schematics of the harnesses. HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Yeah right☹️😳
Old 01-03-2023, 08:12 AM
DHS928
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Tiger,

I also have a 87 928 with the cooked engine harness, instead of trying to fix all the issues I pulled it and sent it to Kroom, they made a copy with it. Did you ask about that? But with the web you should be able to duplicate your harness. Good Luck!

Dan

87 924S
87 928
Old 01-03-2023, 10:03 AM
drscottsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

As daunting as it seems (and it is tedious work), you will have a MUCH better understanding of how this thing works afterwards.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:56 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 523 Posts

@Tiger03447 : It's not that bad, if you just copy everything 1:1. I didn't make the plywood template that is often suggested. Instead I just took careful measurements of each wire's length, color, and where it was attached. I made a bunch of diagrams in PowerPoint (actually, the Libre Office version, but you get the idea) and kept the notes in Google Sheets.

It's a lot of attention to detail but if you do it in discrete chunks it's not so bad. I'm happy to help if you run into any issues.

ETA: I guess the other thing I would say is that, unless you really want to keep everything stock, there's very little downside to changing some of the connectors to more modern, readily available versions. For example, I ended up using some WeatherPack, or other TE connectors, where the original Porsche ones were a pain to source, expensive (like those 14 pin guys, sheesh), or required soldering. I'm not tied to originality, but you may feel differently. If you want a good source for pictures of connector options, I like Waytek Wire and Wirecare for that info. The other thing that probably is most difficult to source is the DME connector, but that can be reused very easily. Unlike other connectors on the harness, Porsche didn't seem to make those pins difficult to remove and a standard depinning tool worked great for me.

Good luck

Last edited by Zirconocene; 01-04-2023 at 02:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 07:51 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Early wiring harness

Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys. Doing this is daunting to me as I have had prior experience with. The headlight motor harness. I would like to “ modernize”? The harness by segregating the harness into 3 major sections. Front lighting harness; the rear lighting section and the central section. At this time the central section needs all the help . I would like to put plug connectors between each major section and the central harness. Perhaps smaller plugs to each major component addy to be able to work with just that section( ie.. Rt door ..which would include the window motor, door mirror, and any other door functions. Blower motor, AC blower and systems, dash lighting..well, I guess you can get the drift from here where I would like to go with this. Any suggestions as to what kind of weatherproof connectors might be small, and good would be highly appreciated. Thanks TiA!
Old 01-04-2023, 08:05 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

For the small openings, like the parts of the harness that go to the mirror, I've been using these types of connectors: https://smile.amazon.com/YETOR-Water...07KK9J6VC?th=1 I'm in the middle of replacing the mirrors on a 928 and I found it hard to find things that would fit through the circular hole in the door; these fit through nicely.

Those in the link are actually better than what I've been using, as the AWG is comparable to the OEM wiring.

For other connectors I've been using the Deutsch type recently, like these from Wirecare: https://www.wirecare.com/category/co...ries-connector

I find that they're more compact than standard WeatherPack connectors, and don't require extra seals on the wires, which is nice. That said, I've used the WeatherPack connectors a good bit, as well, and they seal nicely and are easy to assemble.

For larger numbers of connectors, I've used the GT150 type: https://www.waytekwire.com/products/...50-Connectors/ (these are what I used to replace some of the 14 pin connectors, for example.)

No affiliation to any of these companies.

Cheers
Old 01-09-2023, 06:54 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Wiring harness

Zirconone…which of the backshell connectors did you find to be most prevalent in your harness rebuild? I created an account on wirecare for this type of item. Which part # in the PET is for the small flat connector that Porsche uses in most of the plugs? It’s about 1/4” wide , brass/copper, and about 3/8-7/16” long with a crimp fitting on one end to hold the wire. Usually has a central spur on top to hold it in the plug shell. TIA😀

Last edited by Tiger03447; 01-09-2023 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 01-09-2023, 08:30 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Is it these kinds of guys?: https://www.amazon.com/Davitu-Electrical-Equipments-Supplies-automotive/dp/B089W8Q36P

ETA: Here's a better source for those JPT type - https://www.corsa-technic.com/catego...ategory_id=146
If you search for "Junior Power Timer" on a competing (but not really) forum there's a thread with a whole lot of information.

That doesn't sound exactly like what you're describing to me.

Most of my harness used those JPT connectors but if you can grab me a picture of what you're dealing with, I can give you a more exact answer.

Cheers

Last edited by Zirconocene; 01-09-2023 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:59 PM
orig944
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 157 Posts

Have you thought about buying a complete wiring harness out of a salvaged car if you can find one? Go through it and replace anything suspect before installing it in your car.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:21 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Early harness

Yes I have two semi-cooked used harnesses in addition to the one in my car. I have used one for a connector source when I encountered melted parts in my current harness. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:02 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Not totally on topic...

I just ordered a Kroon engine harness because I don’t fully trust my cobbled together Lindsey engine harness (long story).

I thought I’d look up dash harnesses while I was at it. As I’m sure all of you know... there don’t seem to be any “new” options at the time.

But... you can apparently get a new dash harness for a Mclaren 720 for under $200:

https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-p...ren-720s-2018/

For some reason... I have a problem with that.
Tiger03447 (03-01-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 10:52 PM
frod
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted harness

Hi guys, my dashboard wiring harness for an early 944 has melted due to a short. I bought a used harness from a part out car but wow, the replacement task looks daunting. Question, does the engine harness and dashboard harness interconnect? And if so, where?
I welcome any suggestions or tips as I will soon take on replacing the harness.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:11 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Wiring harness

If you look at the harness from the parts car, hopefully an early car also, you can see where the front harness to the lights, horned and everything else goes through the firewall. The later cars all went to 16 gauge wire instead of the 18 that our cars came with. I guess that the central harness section burned up in yours too. Get a hold of the wiring diagram and take it to an office supply store get it blown up so you can follow it easier. Probably your front harness is Ok and so is the rear harness. Yo’ll just have to go under the car, strip back some of the plastic sheathing to confirm that it’s OK too. I have a meter, a power probe and a tone generator to check out the wires. I’ve recently ordered wire from wire barn out of Mass to rework my center section. Hopefully the major plugs in the back of the fuse/relay panel weren’t melted. You may wind up having to pull the entire dash out like I did. If so, take lots of photos and tag where every goes, BEFORE you disconnect everything. Good luck keep us posted😀
Old 07-01-2023, 12:11 AM
Chalt
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

@Tiger03447 How is the progress coming on your harness replacement?

Also, to anyone, why do harnesses burn up? Wouldn't fuses prevent it? (Dumb question I am sure, sorry)
Old 07-01-2023, 08:04 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

A harness will melt for a few reasons. A short will cause wiring to melt, especially if the circuit is not fused. A stuck relay can cause wiring to heat up and start melting the coating on the wiring. I had a bad headlight switch in an early 85 and it had melted the switch and the harness.
Tiger03447 (07-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Early 944 wiring harness