Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What you think?
I'm a dickhead/asshole like he said.
4.11%
I should do his belts for free.
0%
I'm a nice guy and tries to help everyone on rennlist with problems.
26.03%
Don't do it for free.
69.86%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Poll Please about me Semi OT

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004 | 05:38 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Question Poll Please about me Semi OT

What do you guys think about me? I have been here for sometime helping people out giving them information and also asking some stuff when I needed to. I'm going to be a mechanic and I have some guy named Adam that I met on rennlist. Here is the deal he thinks I'm an ******* and ******** because I won't do his timing belt for free. I told him 250$ plus parts which is a pretty good deal. I have done some free stuff in the past for people I know that really needed the helping hand and are really short on cash that really couldn't pay me. I'm unemployed and he wants me to do a timing belt job for free because he knows me. I talked to few people about this. Basically he has two Porsche on an 1986 944na and the other 1987 951 on both he doesn't know when the timing belt was last done or almost anything about how the car was cared for. I told him also to get this taking care of since it will only end bad if time goes by. I told him to do it at a shop,himself, or me just get it done before the belts let go. I'm just asking what you people think of me as a person on rennlist I have helped many and always give out information for free since this is the USA isn't it info is free. I told him the same I can give him all the information he needs to do it. Just take a few seconds and vote what you think about me and add a commet if you want.
Old 05-09-2004 | 05:48 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

id say hes an ***. screw him. 250 is nothing.. belt 30-50 bucks, rollers anotehr 150-200, rebuilt water pump for around 100....... lets see, thats 350 max.. everywehre around here wants like 1100 total (parts included in that) for teh job......
whats this guy smokin. he has two porsches and cant afford that? idiot. sell your NA to support your 951 at least.
Old 05-09-2004 | 06:03 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, lets see.

You're unemployed so you could obviously could use some $.

Now, knowing that everyone that owns a Porsche isn't wealthy, but he has 2 and can't afford to pay for or do his own belts.

I can't think of anywhere to get something for free besides welfare.

For some reason people get pissy when they don't get what they "think" they are owed.

This guy sounds like an ex wife.
Old 05-09-2004 | 06:23 PM
Dick Ruddell
Instructor

Has he volunteered to do (or pay for) all your bodywork and paint your car for free? Sounds like a fair trade to me!
Old 05-09-2004 | 06:35 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Agreed, 250 is nothing for labor, but also keep in mind, that if anything goes wrong with the car (such as a pulley coming loose and throwing the timing belt resulting in bent valves..you know the senerio), and you have charged him for the work, you could end up on the losing end of a legal battle. When doing the work for free, at least you can pretty much say....hey i'll help you out, but no warranties since i am not charging you to do this.

I would flat out tell him....hey if you were an accountant, or doctor, or whatever, would you provide your services to me for free? But then again, as soon as someone called me a ********, i wouldn't help them for any amount of money..lol, they can go elsewhere.
Old 05-09-2004 | 06:51 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i have hijacked some of your threads looking for answers to my problems, and you gave me answers so id so your almost -not- bad.

Last edited by kennycoulter; 05-09-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2004 | 06:56 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Is there any job you need done that he could help you with? He helps you do something, wax your car, mow your lawn, paint your house, something, and then you help him change his belts. Make sure he helps you do it, then hopefully he can do his other car by himself.
Old 05-09-2004 | 08:06 PM
Nabeel
Pro

The guy has a 951 AND a 944 but can't afford $250? Even better, he has no clue when the belts were last done? What a waste of two fine cars. Screw this guy seb, you're trying to do him a favor and he's trying to take advantage of that. Certainly brings to mind the Porsche and the porcipine joke.
Old 05-09-2004 | 08:07 PM
MM951
Race Director

Seb is far from an *******..a. timing belt is a pain, and 250$ is nothing for it
Old 05-09-2004 | 09:08 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys that's what I thought. Also I have parted out some cars before selling parts to some that are rennlist members. I always try to make sure everything with the deal has gone right as you can see from my feedback on ebay people don't have a problem with me. Don't get me wrong I have helped a few for free or the price of some pizza around here that really needed it and really don't have the cash to fix some problems. I'm not talking about just Porsches I help others with problems that couldn't just take it to the shop and get charged an arm and a foot just to keep there only ride to work to get them there. I try my best around the forums to help out anyone that I can help on rennlist. I don't want to do the work on his car anymore all I just tell him is to get that taken care of since it's only trouble waiting to happen. Like you guys have said 250 is nothing in labor.

Dick I have that body damage fixed remember last meet? Also I have a spray booth lined up once I get a job so I can paint the 951 Until then it's going to be unpainted. Know anyplace where I can get a job? Also I think your clutch pedal springs needs to be adjusted because if you don't have any leaks if you didn't notice any then that's all I can think of about your clutch pedal. Also hows the brake pedal not getting soft and no grinding gears? I really believe it's the spring there mine did this after I replaced the master and slave I adjusted it and it didn't do it since. We will talk at the next meet later this month.

Some people have the cash to fix the problem but rather wait until the problem gets bigger Oh well not my Porsche.
Old 05-09-2004 | 10:06 PM
Jess951
AutoX

Hey, i know this Adam guy and Seb should definitely NOT do it for him for free. Ive talked to Adam myself and hell, i wouldnt help him (if i could lol ) even if he DID pay me.
Old 05-09-2004 | 10:29 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Your not an *******....someone needs an attitude adjustment...and its not you...You know what, do his belts for free...and what i mean by do his belts...is take the timing belts and wrap it around his neck...!!! The nerve/arrogance of some people. Chin-up Seb.
Old 05-09-2004 | 10:36 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

This guy is the *******. Why the hell should you take your time to help him out just because you two are on the same INTERNET LIST? He might get away with treating his friends like this, but he's gotta learn to show people some respect. Any favor any of us does for each other is because we CHOOSE to do it, not because we paid an $18 membership fee.

I'm pissed off right now and I have no idea why. You guys still rock, have a great night.
Old 05-09-2004 | 10:46 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for your support guys. Some people just don't get it do they? It's not like he doesn't have few bucks to spend all I was trying to do is save him some money and have a peace of mind driving with unknown belt history on his cars.
Old 05-09-2004 | 10:55 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Seb, this guy is a dick, wants handouts and sounds like he doesnt give a crap about the car if he wants belts done for free. I saw screw him and laugh when he's looking at all those bent valves and $2000+ in parts and labor to get his car fixed when all you wanted was a tenth of that to prevent it!

Quick Reply: Poll Please about me Semi OT