Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What you think?
I'm a dickhead/asshole like he said.
4.11%
I should do his belts for free.
0%
I'm a nice guy and tries to help everyone on rennlist with problems.
26.03%
Don't do it for free.
69.86%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Poll Please about me Semi OT

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 04:32 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your own belts or pay a shop. End of story.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Jess951
AutoX

I can also vouch for Seb when he says Adam calls him an ******* way too much. He can have his opinions but when he repeatedly calls Seb an ******* only because he wont help with one thing, its really uncalled for. AND when Adam talks to other people he refers to seb as an *******, so its not even that he tells seb he's an *******, its that he tells OTHER people he's an *******. So sitting here "bashing" Adam, as Rock called it,(which it really isnt) is only fair.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Like sands through the hourglass these are the days of our lives.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Dick Ruddell
Instructor

Seb: email me - I have a job for you - Clutch springs / brakes / alternator / etc

DRUDDELL@ AOL.COM
Old 05-10-2004, 07:03 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

You have mail.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:32 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ERAU-944
the fact that he has two p-cars is irrelevant. adam has used up every possible cent he could get his hands on to purchase the 951...
Just my opinion, but you shouldn't buy a car you can't maintain.

Don't do it for free, but come to an agreement. If he won't pay, give him a Haynes manual and be available by phone.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:53 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

I already told him he can ask me all the information on how to since it's information it's free but anyhow him and Mike think I'm the bad guy in this whole thing. I'm not doing anything for him I don't need that money from him and be called dumbass and ******** behind my back. Some of you may know I will give out my phone number and anyone is welcome to call me if they need help I can always try to help them out by telling them how to fix something or trouble shoot something.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:28 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

The advice that Seb928s gives on the boards makes me believe that he is a nice guy. If Adam has $250, he should realize that seb is offering him a good deal and take him up on it. If Adam doesn't have $250, he should read up on the job and tackle it himself (its really not that hard). Regardless of adam's financial situation, I fail to see how seb is acting as a crook. Isn't there a saying such as "beggars can't be choosers?"
Old 05-10-2004, 10:38 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ahofam123
"beggars can't be choosers?"

it's one thing for seb to offer to do if for free. it's another for someone to expect handouts or ask for handouts. those people are just moochers and are the reason i hesitate to offer up help or parts. do it once, and those moochers will tend to expect more in the future.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

For what it's worth, my very good friend who is helping me with the engine swap didn't have to say a word about payment. I took what I had at the time (on a few different occassions) and gave it to him. And if the engine blows up when we start it, I would never hold him responsible.

People should not take friends for granted. In the same way, friends shouldn't expect to be paid for helping a friend. If both lived by those principles, everyone would be happy.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:08 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

this is what it boils down to:

this problem should have been settled off rennlist. where it started. bad form seb for bringing it on here. adam doesnt expect you to DO it for him free, he just wanted a hand. who said he couldn't afford the car? he can afford to do the work, all he wanted was some tech assistance. immediately salesman seb offered to do it for his price. i would have turned him down as well - no warrantee or guarantee of any kind. plus i like working on my car myself. if i lived in tampa i'd have been over at adams helping with his tb long ago, unfortunately this isn't the case. seb is always trying to sell stuff to people. thats not really the right way to make friends so i really don't want to hear about no friends or any of that. like i said before i'd help anyone friend or not. if they aren't my friend so to speak i may sell them things they need, or ask if they want something i have, and sell it to them. but to try to sell a belt job to someone who was just asking for a hand isn't cool.

if seb doesn't want to help thats his own choice. however, to drag the problem to the internet to try to make adam seem like the @$$hole is wrong. and if adam called seb that name, then that was wrong of him, but i've never heard him call seb that before.

the way i see it, seb offered free verbal help, and adam was looking for an extra hand in the engine bay from someone who'd done the job before. its getting blown way out of proportion here.

guys, lets step back, have a cold one, and play nice!
-Mike-
Old 05-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Adam Roberts
Instructor

Ok.. FIRST OF all I'm ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGED at you BRINGING an argument like this to rennlist, seb... THIS IS NOT THE VENUE FOR THIS!!!

Rennlist is NOT FOR A PISSING MATCH of who called whom names...

SECOND.. . I never asked you to do a beltjob seb.

I was going to do the belts MYSELF and asked you, since you're nearby, & done a belt job a few times before, a helping hand on getting it to TDC, and how to lock the flywheel and anything else that might make the job go faster.

There's a lot of risk in getting the beltjob done correctly and I wanted it done right. So I asked for help on how to do it.

You told me that you wouldn't lay a finger on the car and help unless I paid you $250.

I won't pay you $250 for you to just turn the engine over to Top Dead Center and stick a screwdriver in the inspection hole while I do the rest of the work. And no.. I don't want you to do the whole job. I just wanted a helping hand. I would have driven up there. I would have helped you with something or bought you dinner or given you a tank of gas or something....

Sure.. you could just stand there and watch without touching anything... but that's just assanine.

I said I didn't want to get into this, and post to this thread.. but its just getting PLAINLY out of hand and I just want it to stop. You changed the story to a "Belt Job for free" and not what it really was. I never asked you for a beltjob. I just wanted some pointers and help. You Spun it into a completely different story then asked what people thought about that.

I'm not going to publically bash you sebastian. I'm just going to do the job myself. You should know I do all the work on my car except for balancing and installing.. but only because I don't have the expensive machines for that.

I have 2 cars.. but I bought the 951 and I'm selling my 944. I got the 951 at a good price that I couldn't refuse. I want the next owner to have a 944 with a beltjob and a new water pump and not have it break a month later. the 951 needs a job too because I don't have records..

It never was about the money.... just the principle of things:

If you would have called, I would have come and helped you with anything you wanted. Even if it was just holding a wrench or something heavy. I could have done that for you. NO problem. That goes for anybody in the Tampa Bay Area....(AIM:Skalarboy) If you have a problem, I'll come to your house to help you.. for FREE... that's what friends do.. that's what this board is about: Help.

But I don't know about now, seb. Posting this has made it hard for me to help you or say anything nice about you for that matter.

So I'm just not going to say anything at all.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:50 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

First time you talked to me about the belt job you asked me to do it for you I gave you a fair amount and don't give me this I didn't ask you to do it. Jessica always is here or either reads the messages. She can pick it up. Also you are the one bashing me all the time everything you talked to Jessica the word a$$hole would come up or ******** talking about me. Also my name isn't Seb ok Ad. Well I'm of but who cares will it make you happy if I don't do anyones work on there cars around the Tampa Bay area? Is that it that I know and work on these cars and get paid for it? If you want to do every persons works for free that I do go right ahead you can start with Dick first PM him and do his work for free

Later
Old 05-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Jess951
AutoX

Adam, you said alot for someone who's "not going to say anything at all"
Old 05-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been unemployed for a lengthy term (thankfully not now) and I paid form my belts to be done by a Porsche certified mechanic. I also paid to have a wrench put in a flex disk.

That's over 3 grand out of pocket I could not afford when I had NO income. I have fixed other's vehicles GRATIS in the sprirt of evangelism, expecting just a thanks and maybe a beer DURING my unemployment in the spirit of comeraderie and Rennlist.
I HAVE since LEARNED how to do this PM myself. I have sought the expertise of others who willingly helped.
To state "He has 2 P-cars, so he must have some cash" is ludicrous.

What goes around comes around.

Oh, and take it outside if you REFUSE to grow up boys. I've suggested that this thread be removed, and inflammatory threads like this be deleted immediately.

Junk like this is derogorrotory and counterproductive and flies blatantly in the face of "helping others" which Rennlist and I support.

And please- sell your cars and buy something else you can afford and can handle fixing. I recommend a bicycle.

I dont want to be associated with this segment of the crowd. I support Rennlist by purchasing a membership (Ahem, Adam), expand the pool of talent and get the word out by tagging other P-cars with my Rennlist cards. and have a 4" high "WWW.RENNLIST.COM" as a windshield banner.

I wasnt going to add validity to this by commenting but this has gone WAY over the line.

I'm incensed at the language used, the mean spirited attacks and complete WASTE OF BANDWIDTH this is.

John D. Please remove this thread.

Peace out.

Last edited by Chris_924s; 05-11-2004 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Poll Please about me Semi OT