Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No radiators available anywhere- since when?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 09:32 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

They did say the stock fans will work on the CSF radiator.

Black painted tanks, black core...no one will know it's not an original rad.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:28 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
They did say the stock fans will work on the CSF radiator.

Black painted tanks, black core...no one will know it's not an original rad.
Have you used this radiator? Can you comment on the fit?
Old 11-17-2022, 01:05 AM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

I appreciate wanting the “correct” Porsche radiator (and not wanting an aluminum one)... But if you _need_ a radiator... the Wizard aluminum unit is very nice...
Old 11-17-2022, 08:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis A.
Have you used this radiator? Can you comment on the fit?
No - this is a brand new offering only a few weeks old.
But CSF is a big name in aftermarket radiators known for quality. They've been making 928 radiators for a long time since those have been unobtanium for years. Haven't heard anything bad.

I modified my radiator frame and currently have a Fiero radiator in my 944
The following users liked this post:
Luis A. (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 01:43 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

[QUOTE=Luis A.;18467899]Not a bad price as far as used rads go but unwilling to risk in short order being in the same place I am now.

Small leak between left side tank and core

The reason I asked is that my radiator had a failure at the radiator vent connection to the coolant expansion tank. I screwed in AN fitting and applied several layers of JBWeld epoxy to seal for leakage. Still functioning after 4 years.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:07 PM
L964
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very annoying, I am also looking for a radiator for my automatic and wasn't able to found one, I installed one of the eBay aluminum and it leaked a ton, not even running it.
For your leak try to press the tabs a bit more on the ends see if it helps with the leak, mine was leaking from there but after the squeeze it worked again, only yo later found that I have a leak in the aluminum core. Sometimes you just can win.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:11 PM
boom10ful
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by L964
Very annoying, I am also looking for a radiator for my automatic and wasn't able to found one, I installed one of the eBay aluminum and it leaked a ton, not even running it.
For your leak try to press the tabs a bit more on the ends see if it helps with the leak, mine was leaking from there but after the squeeze it worked again, only yo later found that I have a leak in the aluminum core. Sometimes you just can win.
Definitely don't buy those cheap Ebay aluminum radiators! I bought one and pressure tested it at home and it leaked like a sieve. Got it for free afterwards though but ended up buying the Wizard radiator and sending the Ebay one to the curb for scrap.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:10 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Luis... gently squeeze the tabs around the end caps as someone suggested... do both sides... cut a bicycle tire tube, clamp it on the ends, block any other holes, pump it up in a bathtub... if no leaks, install and enjoy

Years ago I did this and still daily driving.. seriously
Old 11-20-2022, 11:03 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Dan, thanks for confirming the pressing of the tabs has worked for you for so long. I had already thought about pressing the tabs down but didn't want to do it until I had figured out a way to go beyond that for a more permanent solution. I drive my cars long and far and over the years my tolerance for dealing with old car hassles on the road is much lower.

So I rigged up a pressure gauge set up through the small nipple on the left tank and sealed up the large hose nipples with these "rubber freeze plugs" from Amazon (where else?!). The 1-1/8" size fit perfectly and pretty cheap for a set of 4. A small silicone 'cork' from a set of various sizes (the blue one fits tightly) goes on the overflow tank hose nipple. Pumped it up to 22-23 PSI and confirmed the leak front and back; soapy solution made it obvious and confirmed no other leaks elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I located a side tank and seal on eBay so I can remove the tank, which is in good condition, replace the seal and crimp it back which I expect will give me a lasting repair. I'll post more pics of the core and the new seal install in a few weeks. Thanks again to all.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:25 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

The CSF radiator looks like a quality piece. They also have a fan kit as well. Does anyone know if this radiator and fan kit will with the 968? If so, I may try it out.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:07 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Pictures of the core for sure. Once you look in there you might decide its not worth the repair. How are you going to compress the tank while resetting the tabs?
Old 11-21-2022, 11:54 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasngo
How are you going to compress the tank while resetting the tabs?
Three ratcheting clamps such as this should do it.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:53 PM
Chalt
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I modified my radiator frame and currently have a Fiero radiator in my 944
I love this.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:37 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

As it turns out the seal from Ebay was too narrow, likely for the early cars radiators. I purchased the uncrimp and re-crimp tools for $40 from Ebay. Not necessary but the uncrimp tool allows to pull the crimp outwards with not too much lift possibly avoiding metal fatigue by too much 'hinging'/metal bending action.

De-crimp tool

Cover removed and old seal exposed. Not sure what purpose the seal 'bridges' serve, not functional for sure, but they were all cracked. Not so the seal, it was compressed and a bit non-compliant, but in one piece. This is a 60K mile car. The core was exceptionally clean. Running a high volume of water from the other end tank showed all tubes passing water at a high rate with none having reduced flow.

I ordered an end tank and seal from Ebay (primarily for the seal) but it turned out to be too narrow, likely for the early cars. Mine is an '87. I then made my own out of some roofing EPDM rubber sheet about 2.14 mm thick. The original seal, slightly compressed was about 1.9mm.

Clamped down hard on the tank and recrimped using a the crimp tool but also a vise-grip pliers set to a stronger crimp than the crimp tool could provide. I had to bring together the sides of the core lip before crimping the tabs down as otherwise they are too far separated from the edge of the tank to entirely lie on the tank's lip. For this I used a large "C-Clamp vise grip pliers.

Pressure test at ~25 PSI demonstrated no leaks. I also pressed in the tabs of the other tank.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:44 PM
Scottmyl
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luis, thank you for posting these detailed pictures. My radiator has a leak on the upper drivers side and this post has boosted my confiedence to try the repair myself. If anyone happens to know if those inner side seals are obtainable please share the source. Many thanks and Happy Holidays.

Quick Reply: No radiators available anywhere- since when?