Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

job situation update

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:11 PM
jenket944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default job situation update

Update for those of you who read my previous thread....I'll try to catch everybody else up to speed.

I still haven't received an official layoff notice, but expect to soon. I bent my manager's ear last week to get some kind of clue as to how much time I had left. He suspects 3-4 weeks. Not sure what kind of notice they'll give when they finally get around to it, so no telling how much longer they'll keep me around. I asked about taking a voluntary layoff, but apparently HR has killed that idea. This place got sued for a class-action age discrimination suit last time a layoff happened, so they're pretty gun-shy. They are 'making their list' and re-checking it a billion times I bet to make sure all the demographics satisfy the EEO folks.

What complicates the issue a little bit is that I was planning on working for my thesis advisor over the summer at UCF. Well, the summer semester starts next week, but I can take the research asst position at any time. I'm kind of frustrated because I want to stay here and collect as many paychecks as I can but I also want to get rid of the distractions and concentrate on school. Fortunately I can work on my thesis at work since there's not enough work to go around....hence the looming layoff.

In addition to all this, I'm also job hunting for something local but haven't been getting much response. I finally heard back from the R&D firm near UCF that I interviewed with last month - unfortunately they decided not to pursue me any further. This after they said they'd bring me back in for another interview. Oh, well.

On a positive note, I did get a call yesterday from United Space Alliance........in Houston. Looks like they'll probably want to fly me out there for an interview. LOL...when they called I assumed it was USA at Cape Canaveral since I was working with someone there on finding a job. Just dumb luck that the Houston folks beat them to it.....still hoping to find something with USA in Florida though, for obvious reasons. Sure will make finishing the thesis a lot easier. What makes this hilarious is that I got the call in the middle of my girlfriend making an offer on a new house in Orlando! We had just left another developer (Lennar if anyone is interested) all ticked off because they had sold a house that morning that we had arranged to buy the day before. We were on our way to go and start the paperwork when our agent calls us and says they sold the house to some doctor from out of state. Damn incompetent bastards! We were ticked off but our real estate agent was absolutely livid because he set up the meeting and had told them we came with the intent to BUY - not look, not talk, but BUY. Probably better off not giving our money to them anyway. Well, we went across the street to Mercedes and ended up making an offer on a spec house there that's been on the market for over a month (we'd seen it before and really liked the floorplan). We should find out today if the offer is accepted.

Knowing my luck of late, I'll get a call from USA in Houston for an interview right after my girlfriend finds out the house is hers.

Sorry so long....a lot has been happening lately. In fact, I left out some stuff. Maybe later.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:21 PM
951Badger
Racer

Houston? Hmmm...some folks don't like it there but I don't think it's so bad. Good luck with the job hunt. I've been in your shoes more than once and it really is scary and depressing. Something WILL turn up tho...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I feel for ya. Recently got my WARN notice. June 11th and I'm a free agent again. I was looking for a job when I found this one! Damn plant closures.......
Old 05-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Good luck. I just got word that an offer is on its way and I've been out of work for 7 months, 5 days. This will be my first big job after getting out of grad school and I'm glad to be going back to work!

Houston is alright. A friend of mine from A&M works with the space program over there and he's having a great time.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you do come to Houston, you'll have a warm and friendly 944 community to welcome you. Hey, we need to add some new Grease Slingers to replace some who have left.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:48 PM
jenket944
Pro

Thanks for the support. It's really starting to wear me down, lately.

Will definitely give you Houston 944 guys a heads-up if I get an interview out there.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:26 AM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been out of work since December. Damn MIS degree!!!

But can you think of a better place to be out of work!

Things will work out, don't stress.

Have a few, go to the beach, relax

You will get that phone call. Don't worry.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been out of work since 1995...
Old 05-06-2004, 01:43 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

December here too! But in another month we'll no longer be unemployed as far as the statistics are concerned! Gotta love election years

On the plus side, so far I've done some plumbing, painted the master bedroom, refinished the dining room floor and the stairs, put in a pond, etc. etc. etc. Tomorrow I may start stripping the front door for refinishing, doesn't that sound like fun?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:56 PM
jenket944
Pro

WOOHOO!!
I got a call from USA in Houston today...they want to fly me out there for an interview sometime within the next 2 weeks!

I'll let you Houston R-listers know ahead of time when....once I find out anyway.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:44 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Congrats. Getting an interview is a great.

Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Awesome. The offer I mentioned hasn't gotten to me yet so if I get called out for an on site interview with the other company I've been interviewing with over in Orlando I might just have to head out there for a few days. Right now I'm pretty much done packing up, I want to get out of here and back to work!

Quick Reply: job situation update