Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another timing belt.. sorry

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 05:16 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another timing belt.. sorry

Ive done previous searches and havnt really found exactly wut im looking for. I wanna know approx. how much it costs to get the timing belt replaced at a shop and at the dealer. Shes a 1987 944 NA. Anyone know any good shops in or around los angeles? Ive heard of one in pasadena on colorado.. newhere else?
Also, is it hard to do it myself? Is it jus the timing belt that gets replaced? netin else?
again, i apologize to the veteren 944 owners that have prolly seen this post a million times, but after 2 hours of search, and bloodshot eyes.. i had to make it a lil easier and jus post it myself.

"soon to be official Rennlist member"
Old 04-27-2004, 08:05 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider.. and expect-
YOUR wrench's hourly rate. ($$$$$ in Cali.)
YOUR wrench's familiarity on this procedure. (Porsche certified at dealer, MANY dollars)
A markup on all parts.
IMHO between 700-1300 bucks based upon the above factors.

It can be done by a NOOB with some experienced help watching EASILY in a weekend. Save yourself 80% and get "experienced".
Old 04-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm doing all the belts, rollers, front seals, waterpump, gaskets, etc. on my car myself and (including tools) it will end up costing about $450. Dealer estimate that I got was $1,400, so you decide what makes sense here. Plus doing it myself gives me a chance to clean up the engine bay and stuff. . .
Old 04-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this have everything in it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

If so not so bad in price

How about this for everything but the waterpump that I really wouldn't replace till it went bad anyway

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
Old 04-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Brett Jenkins
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought that kit from Jomaxima, and it had everything, as far as parts, unless you also want to replace seals and balance shaft gears too.

Go to www.arnnworx.com and get the $85 porsche tool kit with krikit, flywheel lock, roller wrench, and pin wrench to do the job. Make sure you have a torque bar capable of 155+ ft lbs and a good breaker bar.

If you don't know the age of your water pump, replace it before it goes bad, not after.

Clarks garage has a good write-up on the procedure and www.arnnworx.com has good infom on using the krikit to tension.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

I have seen waterpumps in various vehicles last for many many many miles, why would you replace one before it went bad?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info Brett! The flywheel lock makes it SOOOO much easier.

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Shutemup
I have seen waterpumps in various vehicles last for many many many miles, why would you replace one before it went bad?
Most people suggest replacing the water pump during a timing belt job because you've done 90% of the labor necessary to get to the water pump. If you don't know the age of your water pump, it's the perfect time to replace it. If you don't replace your water pump, and it seizes or dies, you'll have to do the entire job all over again(plus fix whatever damage is caused).
Old 04-27-2004, 11:07 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The water pump is driven by the cam belt. If the pump siezes it can throw the cam belt.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

ahh, 944pete has the why behind the reasoning.....

do theese waterpumps not just start to **** out a weep hole when they go bad?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a water pump that never leaked a drop, it just locked up. I was lucky that the car only blew the head gasket from overheating and did not jump timing.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:19 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Correct spelling does help when you do searches.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Off-topic, but it would be useful for us if you include your car(s) in your signature (click the "my profile" link at the top and then "edit profile") as the answers to a lot of questions depend on the car you have (year, model & trim). Also it is helpful if you include your location as a lot of time anybody local will offer to help with jobs like that (it's on the same page as your signature).
Old 04-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Because of the cost of having it done later.

Water pumps do fail, and if yours looks original I'd have it done, with the front seals, while they're doing your T-belt. Cheaper in the long run imo. I just had my belts redone and skipped the pump this time because I know it's oem and has a few more miles in it.

These cars will kill you if you don't look after adjacent wear items while you have it apart.

Belts-only just cost me about US$600 at my shop in Toronto, which I trust more than the dealer because he does a lot of 944s.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally posted by Peckster
Because of the cost of having it done later.

Water pumps do fail, and if yours looks original I'd have it done, with the front seals, while they're doing your T-belt. Cheaper in the long run imo. I just had my belts redone and skipped the pump this time because I know it's oem and has a few more miles in it.

These cars will kill you if you don't look after adjacent wear items while you have it apart.

Belts-only just cost me about US$600 at my shop in Toronto, which I trust more than the dealer because he does a lot of 944s.
Also, when a water pump fails, it often siezes. On these cars it's driven by the timing belt. Therefore when the water pump fails, it breaks the timing belt, which breaks the valves (8x $100 or 16x $100) & pistons($bad), and maybe even the head ($even worse). Sure makes a water pump look cheep, huh?

Quick Reply: Another timing belt.. sorry