Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glovebox locking mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 12:24 AM
oconnor0
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Glovebox locking mechanism?

I've got my 1986 944 automatic back in July. A few months ago in the cold, I was attempting to open the glovebox and ended up breaking the metal arm on one side rendering it useless. I removed the glovebox door and have pulled out the lock mechanism - hoping to replace it. In an ideal world, I'd be able to buy the replacement mechanism (which looks like this one on eBay) and swap out the lock cylinder so I can still use my key to lock it, but I can't see if that is possible. One thread on Pelican Parts leaves me without an answer either; and they don't seem to sell replacements. I've looked online and played with the mechanism but have had no luck in removing the cylinder. I'd be fine with replacing it with a lockless version but have been unable to find one. Is the only solution (save spending 200$ on a new lock and key set) to just buy a used one from another 944 and accept that I won't be able to lock it?
Old 04-28-2022, 06:16 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

There are two versions of glovebox mechanism on 44 cars one is press button style the other is rotary. It is definitely possible to re-key the lock but there is probably some sort of catch you have to release to get the lock out.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:32 PM
secondchris
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Many places sell those metal arms so you could just fix the one you broke.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:20 PM
88Silver924S
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Have you tried a full service locksmith?

The Ebay one looks different than mine. If there is an old school full-service locksmith in town you may find that they know how to remove the cylinder. If you're lucky they may even be able to fix the broken latch. Good luck. Let us know how your conundrum turns out.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:28 PM
oconnor0
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Voith
There are two versions of glovebox mechanism on 44 cars one is press button style the other is rotary. It is definitely possible to re-key the lock but there is probably some sort of catch you have to release to get the lock out.
Yeah, I have the push button version. There's this little nub from the lock cylinder that sticks out through the plastic housing that I tried pulling out with needlenose pliers but either it won't move or my pliers are useless.

Glove box lock mechanism cylinder nub

Originally Posted by secondchris
Do you know where I would find a place like that? I'm not sure how I would take out the broken piece and stick the new arm in. I also think I probably lost the spring that pushed the two arms out.

Originally Posted by 88Silver924S
The Ebay one looks different than mine. If there is an old school full-service locksmith in town you may find that they know how to remove the cylinder. If you're lucky they may even be able to fix the broken latch. Good luck. Let us know how your conundrum turns out.
I hadn't considered that. I will have to see what I can find.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:36 PM
secondchris
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, just realized you meant the metal retaining finger on the lock and not the metal arm on the door itself. The door arms are available for sale but that's not what you need. I also broke this little piece when I had a classic saab 900. I was able to swap in a new locking mechanism. Not everyone knows this but the glove box lock on the old saabs were universal so that any saab 900 ignition would open any saab 900 glovebox lock. So, it was easy to swap one in from another car. To be honest, I don't know why it matters to have a locking glove box as long as it opens and closes and doesn't fly open while you're driving or going over a bump.

Funny, my '84 944 came with 4 different keys: one for the exterior alarm switch, one for the ignition, one for the wheel locks, and finally one dedicated for the glove box.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:57 PM
oconnor0
4th Gear

To be honest, I don't know why it matters to have a locking glove box as long as it opens and closes and doesn't fly open while you're driving or going over a bump.
Do you know if there is a non-locking mechanism that will fit the 944? I don't care about the lock, necessarily, but want a door on the thing.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:53 PM
orig944
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 166 Posts

Funny, my '84 944 came with 4 different keys: one for the exterior alarm switch, one for the ignition, one for the wheel locks, and finally one dedicated for the glove box.
Glove box key is always different than ignition key, same with the alarm. You have the correct number of keys, as it came new.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:01 PM
oconnor0
4th Gear

Originally Posted by orig944
Glove box key is always different than ignition key, same with the alarm. You have the correct number of keys, as it came new.
That means someone already re-keyed my glovebox lock since the ignition key worked in the glovebox lock. My car came with two keys - ignition and alarm - and I didn't have keys for the wheel lock nuts.

Quick Reply: Glovebox locking mechanism?