Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 09:33 PM
Crich
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt tool

I bought a 1986 944 last October with my father. Currently it's in the garage for the winter and we were planning on doing the timing belt, pulleys, and water pump sometime next month before the snow melts to get it fully road worthy for the spring. From reading the forums and having never done a timing belt change before, I realize I need either the stock timing belt tensioner tool or the arnnworx tool because I don't not trust myself for the twist method. But it is hard to rationalize spending $200 on a tool I will use once every 3 years. Does anyone have one that I can rent from them or work something out with? I live in Boston but the car is located with my father in Central Maine so anywhere in between I am willing to travel to. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2022, 10:34 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Which tool you meaning. The one for the tension? If so just use the twist method. Put the belt on, tighten rotate counter clock wise the 5 degrees and then forward a full rotation. Then you take the longest section and twist the belt with your fingers I believe about 90 degrees. If its firm then you should be good. Too lose or too tight then retension. Watch Vans videos, they are a huge help.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:36 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Here's all 3 videos.

https://youtu.be/nqc0mm-7ukY

https://youtu.be/K8T1SPook_k

https://youtu.be/UvzZ2objumY

Last edited by CyCloNe!; 02-05-2022 at 10:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CyCloNe!:
Duhvinci (02-05-2022), Zirconocene (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 10:44 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I have a 9201 but think the twist method is fine. You can also see if the water pump pulley can just be turned by hand (it will be hard) while at TDC and having rotated the engine a few times by hand.
More critical IMO is re-tension as the belts get very loose after they run in and mate with the sprockets.

Balance belt sprocket alignment is critical and often gotten wrong.
Balance tensioner turned the wrong way likewise.
The following users liked this post:
Zirconocene (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 11:21 PM
Crich
5th Gear

Okay awesome thanks for the videos! I have been skeptical of if the tool is 100% nessesary so these videos will help a lot.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:22 PM
Crich
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I have a 9201 but think the twist method is fine. You can also see if the water pump pulley can just be turned by hand (it will be hard) while at TDC and having rotated the engine a few times by hand.
More critical IMO is re-tension as the belts get very loose after they run in and mate with the sprockets.

Balance belt sprocket alignment is critical and often gotten wrong.
Balance tensioner turned the wrong way likewise.
How long after running the new belt should it be re-tensioned?
Old 02-07-2022, 10:24 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Having suffered a snapped timing belt after using the twist method (can’t say this was necessarily the cause), I am a fan of using the tool, and would encourage you to just get one, especially if you haven’t been doing the twist method for years.

Not all hands and fingers were created equal…
The following users liked this post:
tempest411 (12-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2022, 10:46 AM
SC924S
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I just went through this thought process myself. The Arnnworx kit is more expensive then the belt kit I need to put on, is it really worth it??

Let me tell you, as someone who did his first timing belt a few weeks ago, it is worth every darn penny. I would buy it again without a second thought. The added confidence that the tool gave me to get the work done made it so much easier to do the job. Moreover, you will need that tool more than once every 3 years, I can almost promise you. Cam Tower has to come off? You need to re-tension the belts. Water Pump? Belts are coming off. You definitely need the flywheel lock and at least the pin wrench to do the job anyway, so why not do it with the proper tools?

Just one man's opinion, but I love my set. Plus, if you ever sell the car, you will likely get your money back on the tool.
The following 4 users liked this post by SC924S:
Duhvinci (02-07-2022), Millermatic (02-28-2022), Spring44 (02-08-2022), tempest411 (12-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2022, 10:56 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SC924S
I just went through this thought process myself. The Arnnworx kit is more expensive then the belt kit I need to put on, is it really worth it??

Let me tell you, as someone who did his first timing belt a few weeks ago, it is worth every darn penny. I would buy it again without a second thought. The added confidence that the tool gave me to get the work done made it so much easier to do the job. Moreover, you will need that tool more than once every 3 years, I can almost promise you. Cam Tower has to come off? You need to re-tension the belts. Water Pump? Belts are coming off. You definitely need the flywheel lock and at least the pin wrench to do the job anyway, so why not do it with the proper tools?

Just one man's opinion, but I love my set. Plus, if you ever sell the car, you will likely get your money back on the tool.
seems like mine sees active duty about once every 6 months.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:09 AM
brooklyn944
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SC924S
The added confidence that the tool gave me to get the work done made it so much easier to do the job.
100% this. When I did my first timing belt job I got the full set and it definitely gave me the confidence to get through the process smoothly and successfully. Many many folks have used the twist method and swear by it, and I don't doubt them one bit, but the tensioning tool gave me peace of mind that was worth well more than the price of the tool.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:52 AM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 143 Posts

The flat offset wrenches are great, as is the pin wrench. But I use the twist method for tension.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:13 PM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Arnnworx tool is worth every penny.

I have used it for 3 TB changes and had it upgraded to the current version prior to the most recent one. It's a very small price to know the TB/BS belts are accurately tensioned.

Bruce has great videos, great customer service, he seems like a stand up guy. I'm thankful he spent his time to develop this tool so we don't have to buy the P9201, that is expensive!!

Last edited by GrantM; 02-26-2022 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:33 PM
Crich
5th Gear

Originally Posted by GrantM
The Arnnworx tool is worth every penny.

I have used it for 3 TB changes and had it upgraded to the current version prior to the most recent one. It's a very small price to know the TB/BS belts are accurately tensioned.

Bruce has great videos, great customer service, he seems like a stand up guy. I'm thankful he spent his time to develop this tool so we don't have to buy the P9201, that is expensive!!
To update this thread I did end up buying the tool as the piece of mind will be worth it. I will be changing the timing belt and water pump next weekend. Thank you all for your help!
Old 02-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Will you be changing the rollers and seals? If so, esp. the seals, you should read up and get a couple more tools before starting. Getting hung up on a missing tool the day of working means cutting corners, frustration, mistakes. For example, a new or good condition triple-square socket is a must for the cam gear... a seal puller.. small gear / pulley puller.. stuff like this.

I remember going to do just the belt and water pump once... not changing crank seal so no need to remove the crank gear, right? Wrong. The rear of the timing belt cover needs to come off on mine.. but it can't without removing the crank gear. Nobody mentioned this lol! That hung me up something silly... nevermind re-torquing the bolt needs a large torque wrench that can measure the amount needed.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:56 PM
Crich
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Will you be changing the rollers and seals? If so, esp. the seals, you should read up and get a couple more tools before starting. Getting hung up on a missing tool the day of working means cutting corners, frustration, mistakes. For example, a new or good condition triple-square socket is a must for the cam gear... a seal puller.. small gear / pulley puller.. stuff like this.

I remember going to do just the belt and water pump once... not changing crank seal so no need to remove the crank gear, right? Wrong. The rear of the timing belt cover needs to come off on mine.. but it can't without removing the crank gear. Nobody mentioned this lol! That hung me up something silly... nevermind re-torquing the bolt needs a large torque wrench that can measure the amount needed.
I am doing the timing belt, rollers, and water pump. Not planning on doing the seals. The only "special" tool I have is a fly wheel lock. I have a torque wrench that will go up to enough to re-torque everything properly and set of wrenches and sockets. I dont have the special tool to hold the balance shaft pulleys while you loosen the retaining nut but I figured that I will either leave the balance shaft belt on while I loosen them or I saw someone use a set of harbor freight 90 degree needle nose pliers and said those worked pretty well so I think that will be fine. Anything else I absolutely need?

Quick Reply: Timing belt tool