Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OE NA Ignition map

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021 | 03:22 PM
willrobinson
Instructor

Default OE NA Ignition map

Im in the process of road tuning my somewhat stock 85 NA fitted with a Haltech standalone.

Would anyone have the original ignition map to copy as a starting point? I wonder were there differences between UK and US ignition maps? Does UK 95-97 burn any faster or more slowly than gasoline? I see some maps in search results running as much as 46* in the WOT cells?

Here is my current if anyone has some critique-

Old 12-31-2021 | 04:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Under no circumstance should there be 46 degrees of timing at WOT - years ago when I was tuning my US spec 944 NA it stopped making more power above 32 degrees @ 5500 rpm at WOT, that was US 91 AKI octane which I think is around 94-95 UK equivalent.

You would see timing in the 40s at light load cruising RPM range.

Old 12-31-2021 | 04:34 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Sorry, no help here with an NA map, however -> The OE maps don't use manifold pressure as the load axis, so unfortunately I think you will be hard pressed to find someone that has an "original" map in the format you are looking for.

IIRC the OE DME used some combination of 2D table/s for idle/WOT, then an actual 3-D map for part load. You could check out Rouge Tuning's website to see if they still have the necessary TunerPro files you can download. It's a free SW and if those files are still available, when you open it up you should be able to see those tables/maps. However, like I said, the load axis won't be manifold pressure.

The combustion chamber design is pretty old school so timing can be quite advanced given how slow combustion occurs. That being said, 46deg sounds like waaaaaaay too much…

I recently tuned my 951 on a standalone and was looking for a starting point, similar to you. I ended up just doing it completely from scratch (started with 15deg across the board and iteratively tuned each rpm column to MBT up to 3.5krpm then extrapolated to redline, then did incremental 500rpm full load pulls up to redline. Finally interpolated/smoothed all the cites I couldn't reach in-between for a smooth map then fine tuned on the road). Requires a dyno but honestly it's the only way to do it safely and efficiently. To save money/time you might be able to go to a dyno to have only the first few low load/rpm sites tuned to MBT, as well as the full load column. Then interpolate/extrapolate between them and do the rest on the road. That way you can minimize the money spent on time on a dyno but still have a pretty good starting point…

Someone here may have tuned an NA on a standalone that could share their custom maps, but I'd make sure you have some way to monitor/listen for knock when using someone else's values as a starting point...Too many variables to copy paste blindly...

Last edited by SirLapsalot; 12-31-2021 at 07:10 PM. Reason: can't spell
The following users liked this post:
willrobinson (01-01-2022)
Old 12-31-2021 | 04:40 PM
JustinL
Drifting

I would ditch the columns of positive manifold pressure unless you are somehow making some boost. Here's a calculator that may help you generate a base table. Your's looks somewhat unsmooth as it ramps up and down then back up again with load. There's also some oddball cells that look out of place compared the their adjacent cells.

http://www.useasydocs.com/theory/spktable.htm
The following users liked this post:
willrobinson (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022 | 09:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

some tables to look at here - these are not stock but they work well.
note that mine in the first post is from a modified NA ECU - so the X axis is "load" which is not directly applicable to MAP, but WOT was the 112-124 cells.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ng-tables.html

Last edited by V2Rocket; 01-01-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2022 | 05:04 PM
willrobinson
Instructor

Thanks, I think I had been reading the tables wrong, it looks like a peak of 36* is where people are, interesting there was no increase in power past 32, I will maybe call that an upper limit untill I get it properly tuned.
Old 01-01-2022 | 05:07 PM
willrobinson
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
some tables to look at here - these are not stock but they work well.
note that mine in the first post is from a modified NA ECU - so the X axis is "load" which is not directly applicable to MAP, but WOT was the 112-124 cells.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ng-tables.html
Thanks, I had just been reading that, trying to get my head around it. Is it fair to say all the 0.0 cells are the same as the WOT cells or is there more to it?
Old 01-02-2022 | 06:20 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by willrobinson
Thanks, I had just been reading that, trying to get my head around it. Is it fair to say all the 0.0 cells are the same as the WOT cells or is there more to it?
Your ignition map is using MAP for the load axis, which is an absolute pressure. So 0kpa in your map is atmospheric pressure, and is close to where you will be at WOT... Due to pumping losses you won't actually achieve 0 kpa throughout the rpm range. So your ECU will interpolate between 0 the adjacent load column, -10.3kpa in your case currently.

Not to nitpick but since you asked for critiques... Personally I'd reduce the number of RPM break points in your map. There's probably no need to use 250rpm throughout the whole range. Typically 500rpm is sufficiently everywhere except around the idle or maybe some cruise area for the primary ignition map. Using 250 across the board sometimes just creates more work/larger map than is really necessary IMO. For the VE map though there may be more area's where it makes sense to have smaller break points, like idle/part load where you spend most of your time on a street car, or if there are areas where there's a large change in VE over a relatively short RPM window.

Quick Reply: OE NA Ignition map