Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt and other 944 Buying Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 01:11 AM
pat944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt and other 944 Buying Q's

I'm looking at purchasing a 944 in the next few weeks. I've had a look at a few cars over the past few months and have some questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer.

A car I looked at recently had a very loud whine or humming noise coming from the timing belts, this could be heard very loudly above the other engine noises, the owner told me it was because it was fitted with the new wider belts and the porshce mechanic told him it was supposed to sound like that, however none of the other cars I've looked at had this sound, or not to this degree anyway.

I'm also looking at a car some distance away and have asked some question's by e-mail about it, this owner says there is some noise from the timing belts but it's not that noticable over the engine noise.

I am wondering what is a normal amount of noise to hear from the timing belts as I have previously thought from what I'd read here that a timing belt that whines or makes a noise similar is often too tight.

I'm also wondering about the supposed "new" belts that porsche put on the 944's that was supposed to be making the louder noise on one of these cars. I thought that all the 16 valve motors did have a wider timing belt, but fitting it to the older cars required replacing the sprockets and rollers the belt runs on, does anyone know anything about and different belt designs porsche may have gone through with the 944 engines.

And finally, a query regarding the #2 rod bearing problem, to those cars that have had this happen to them, were they mostly track or DE cars, or daily drivers, were they running synthetic or dino oil, and how often was the oil being changed in them ie before, on, or after factory recommendations.

Sorry for being so long winded, hopefully someone here can give an answer about the timing belts as I may be travelling some 1000 kilometers or so to look at and probably buy this car which sounds in quite good condition from the information and photos i've been sent. I just don't want to buy it and find that the timing belts are sounding like they shouldn't or something like that.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Mike951
Drifting

The belts may be too tight, causing them to whine. Maybe he should have the tension checked out.

Mike
Old 04-18-2004, 01:33 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Defenetley sounds like the belt on the car you described is too tight. I had that problem when i changed the belts, pump..etc on my 924S. The belts were way to tight, if i remember correctly it sounded almost like a humming sound. A over tightened belt can cause premature wear of the rollers. Depending on how long the car has been with a overly tensioned belt, it may be worth pulling the timing cover and inspectiong each roller for excess play. Better safe than sorry i say!

Ive never really noticed anything that sounds like its coming from the belts that seemed out of the norm. If you want to include a loose alternator belt, than that is a different story. I think the only abnormal sound (which is actually normal) is the clicking that comes from the lifters...that had me concerned until i realized its a normal sound.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:38 AM
pat944
Advanced

Sorry guys, just to clarify a little bit what i posted before.

The car with the really loud timing belts i am no longer considering purchasing, there were too many little things about it that weren't quite right, but as the guy said the noise was caused by the new wider belt that porsche sells now for 944's I was wondering whether this was true or not as i have never heard of it, and just in general how much noise you should expect from a properly adjusted timing belt.

Thanks heaps
Old 04-18-2004, 04:22 AM
pat944
Advanced

bump
Old 04-18-2004, 09:15 AM
pat944
Advanced

Bump
Old 04-18-2004, 09:40 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had new belts, rollers, and waterpump put on at the Porsche dealer about 20,000 miles ago. The car was brought back for retensioning. The belts have whined since I bought the car 12,000 miles ago. Sounds almost like an electric fuel pump whine.

I have replaced the power steering pump, steering belt, and AC belt but the whine persists. I had the cover off this winter to visually check the belts and thought they were too loose - not tight.

I am hosting a timing belt party in late May and will be very interested in hearing other people's, properly tensioned, belts.

Trending Topics

Old 04-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belts that are too loose will whine also. A waterpump with play in the shaft will also make a whining sound. My 951 whines a bit when cold, but stops after it warms up.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt and other 944 Buying Q's