Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lifters - only Genuine Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021 | 10:12 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Here is a lifter

If you look at the center section it is held in by four stakes. These have to be cut in order to disassemble the lifter. Then four new ones have to be hammered into the lifter to keep the center section in. 944online seems to have a good reputation as a vendor for our cars, never hear bad things. However, they sell parts for the most part. I am with Nowanker in thinking the amount of tools, time, parts and skill needed to disassemble and rebuild these properly could never be profitable. If these lifters came apart easily like many other lifters, I could imagine a "refresh" would be possible, but not a proper "rebuild". A lot of companies "rebuild" things, some do it right and some do not. Half shafts come to mind as a recent topic on this forum. Do a search and see how happy people are who have bought rebuilt axles recently.
A member here, Van, has a video on YT where he cuts a lifter in half. If you are interested in seeing the inside of a lifter it is worth watching.
Sorry about the bad math, was thinking 8 cylinder not 8 valve!
Out of curiosity, Did RS Barn also recommend new valve springs? To me it would be strange for them to recommend you replace good lifters with new ones but not recommend new valve springs to replace the bad valve springs (if they are original they are bad - from day one they get softer and softer. 30+years later...) It would be interesting to know what springs they recommend, along with 'seat' and 'over the nose' pressure. I do not know anything about the grind of their cams and if they require more pressure to keep the valves from floating.
Old 12-21-2021 | 10:16 PM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by Breakaway944
Here is a lifter

If you look at the center section it is held in by four stakes. These have to be cut in order to disassemble the lifter. Then four new ones have to be hammered into the lifter to keep the center section in. 944online seems to have a good reputation as a vendor for our cars, never hear bad things. However, they sell parts for the most part. I am with Nowanker in thinking the amount of tools, time, parts and skill needed to disassemble and rebuild these properly could never be profitable. If these lifters came apart easily like many other lifters, I could imagine a "refresh" would be possible, but not a proper "rebuild". A lot of companies "rebuild" things, some do it right and some do not. Half shafts come to mind as a recent topic on this forum. Do a search and see how happy people are who have bought rebuilt axles recently.
A member here, Van, has a video on YT where he cuts a lifter in half. If you are interested in seeing the inside of a lifter it is worth watching.
Sorry about the bad math, was thinking 8 cylinder not 8 valve!
Out of curiosity, Did RS Barn also recommend new valve springs? To me it would be strange for them to recommend you replace good lifters with new ones but not recommend new valve springs to replace the bad valve springs (if they are original they are bad - from day one they get softer and softer. 30+years later...) It would be interesting to know what springs they recommend, along with 'seat' and 'over the nose' pressure. I do not know anything about the grind of their cams and if they require more pressure to keep the valves from floating.
I already replaced the springs with ones from the turbo model. Also I bought 4 lifters from them to replace my 4 bad ones, so we will see how it goes I guess. I will post when I get them.
Old 12-21-2021 | 11:19 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

If you could take a picture when they arrive it would be good to see whether they were actually disassembled or just thrown into a ultrasonic cleaner.
It will also be interesting to see if they are hard or soft.
When I refreshed my engine, like I said earlier, half my lifters were soft and the other half hard. I bought the engine without hearing it run so I did not know if the lifters were good or not. I stored them in containers filled with Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF or a combination of both, do not remember exactly. Since I was unfamiliar with lifters I thought the soft ones were bad. I tried "pumping" them up with the button. It did not work, mainly because the button is not a pump!!! In my mind if they did not pump up they were bad. I then went down the rabbit hole researching and learning about lifters. As I have stated, I ended up ignoring all the internet people (like me!) and listened to the manufacturer who ended up being right.
Old 12-22-2021 | 10:45 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

And what did the manufacturer actually say, I think I missed that?

I see this but can't really pull anything from it..."I listened to the person that MAKES lifters. It turns out he was right. ALL my lifters work perfectly, the soft ones and the hard. Go figure, the manufacturer knows more then random internet people."
The following 2 users liked this post by SamGrant951:
fejjj (12-23-2021), Jay Wellwood (12-22-2021)
Old 12-26-2021 | 09:41 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

And what did the manufacturer actually say, I think I missed that?

I see this but can't really pull anything from it..."I listened to the person that MAKES lifters. It turns out he was right. ALL my lifters work perfectly, the soft ones and the hard. Go figure, the manufacturer knows more then random internet people."
from post 11
As far as telling if they are good or bad....I have heard people say if the button is soft they are good. I have also heard people say if the button is hard it is good. I have heard people switch from hard to soft as good and vice versa. The only person who I believe was someone who was a rep for a lifter manufacturer. His advice was it does not matter if the button is hard or soft - the only way to tell is to install them and see if they work.
The following users liked this post:
SamGrant951 (12-27-2021)
Old 12-29-2021 | 02:36 AM
Acantor
Pro

Originally Posted by Breakaway944
If you could take a picture when they arrive it would be good to see whether they were actually disassembled or just thrown into a ultrasonic cleaner.
It will also be interesting to see if they are hard or soft.
When I refreshed my engine, like I said earlier, half my lifters were soft and the other half hard. I bought the engine without hearing it run so I did not know if the lifters were good or not. I stored them in containers filled with Marvel Mystery Oil or ATF or a combination of both, do not remember exactly. Since I was unfamiliar with lifters I thought the soft ones were bad. I tried "pumping" them up with the button. It did not work, mainly because the button is not a pump!!! In my mind if they did not pump up they were bad. I then went down the rabbit hole researching and learning about lifters. As I have stated, I ended up ignoring all the internet people (like me!) and listened to the manufacturer who ended up being right.
Here are the rebuilt ones compared to the new ones. You can tell they rebuilt them because the staples are in different spots and the inner button area is a different color.

Old 12-29-2021 | 08:27 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

From: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon

I'd love to see their process...

Quick Reply: New Lifters - only Genuine Porsche