Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun Rod Bearing + Cylinder Scoring

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 11:09 PM
Acantor
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

LS swap....haha. But yeah that crank is gonna need replacing. If you can catch your nail on the scratches, that will most likely cause blowby, so a new block aswell. As for pistons, I would go with stock used ones, you can find some on plyhammers parts. So...if you have some more cash and a junk yard, I would go for an LS swap. If you are like me and want to keep it with the times, block, crank and pistons are a must.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:16 AM
redline7921
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thought had crossed my mind, but I think this is it for me... The plan now after 15 years of owning this car is to get it up to snuff... Quality work and then sell the car. As much as I love wrenching, the hobby and the car, I think it's time to move on. The rest of the car is is excellent shape, no rust, original paint, no cracked dash. I don't want to cheap out on the motor, but I don't want to spend a fortune. Just going to keep it stock.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:42 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

back in 2005 I spun the #2 rod bearing on my 944S; I was able to rebuild it with +2 oversize bearings after getting the crank ground and polished. is this not an option?
Old 12-09-2021, 03:22 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

My engine had the same failure, the seal ring for oil pickup gave up ad the oil pressure valve ( old style ) got stuck.

The OE oil pressure sensor is ****, my pegged the oil pressure gauge, but the pressure was sub 1 bar.

For a rebuild, get a new crank, sleeve the engine block, piston and rods.
400 bhp super safe
Old 12-09-2021, 09:01 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

You can try Retro Automotive in Claremont, NH. They have plenty of long blocks sitting around. Ask for Roger. They are a Porsche parts dismantler and warehouse. Very clean and professional outfit. Might save some on shipping costs.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:32 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by redline7921
Definitely interested in the crankshaft plus bearings but need a bit more time to see check the cost of other options. Good point with regard to the risks in a second block. I was thinking the same thing, I might end up spending money on a block that is just as bad. If LR has a set of pistons with rings for $800 that is reasonable considering like you said, the pistons would need replacing. It all comes down to the cost of honing the existing block. Is there a reputable shop in Canada that can do? I did call one local shop today who sends all the blocks to LR.
Not sure of depth of scoring but one other option is to check what tolerance group your block is.
This is stamped on top of bare block , 0, 1 or 2.
It's a possibility, that if your block is "0", you could find a set of used tolerance group "2" pistons, bead blast those, send them off a skirt coating ($24 per piston) and have finished piston that is .0048" larger than your current bore.
Whether this is enough to bore/hone the scoring away can only be answered by your machinist.

https://swaintech.com/race-coatings/...piston-skirts/
Old 12-09-2021, 11:55 AM
redline7921
Advanced

Thanks for all the suggestions... Keep em coming. I am definitely considering each one as an option... Minus the LS swap.
Edit...
BTW - I have tolerance group 1
​​

Last edited by redline7921; 12-09-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:19 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Redline where are you located? I think a guy in MN has a couple blocks with hood crank and pistons installed that could probably be had for a good deal.

ooops- loooks line you are in Vancouver- California is a lot closer!
Old 12-09-2021, 12:59 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions... Keep em coming. I am definitely considering each one as an option... Minus the LS swap.
Edit...
BTW - I have tolerance group 1
​​
Well, sooner or later, it's inevitable that I'll run out....., (of suggestions)

Since the car is in great shape by your description, isn't it beneficial to keep same engine block by means of 1/2 options..?

Bore/hone, new pistons seems like the most valued option if reselling when presenting history.

Old 12-09-2021, 01:59 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Well, sooner or later, it's inevitable that I'll run out....., (of suggestions)

Since the car is in great shape by your description, isn't it beneficial to keep same engine block by means of 1/2 options..?

Bore/hone, new pistons seems like the most valued option if reselling when presenting history.
To me, this is the most reasonable cost-effective path forward. Of course, you should include 951 and 944S offer of the crankshaft and bearings.

I know Canadian system to ship parts in and out of Canada is a pain in the butt.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:51 PM
redline7921
Advanced

I am going to try to track down a shop here familiar with the alusil block to bore/ hone the cylinders and see what price we are talking.

When it comes to shipping here the nice part is, I am 15min from the border so picking up in Blaine or Seattle is definitely an option.

For resale I am sure you are right... The most value is in keeping the original block. I might be partial to the car in general in regards to my over all opinions... But everything works on it (minus the engine lol) including the cruise control. I plan to do a complete refresh since it's more or less 100% apart .. all new hoses, venturi delete, refresh the wire harness insulation since it's pretty brittle now, new bushings etc.

I have a 26/8 turbo which I had thought of throwing in... Of course would need different chips. The car would no longer be stock from the factory, so I don't know how that would affect the value. Either way I will refresh one of the turbos. It's a slippery slope 😂
Old 12-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

try car-part.com
Old 12-09-2021, 06:26 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

I am going to try to track down a shop here familiar with the alusil block to bore/ hone the cylinders and see what price we are talking.

When it comes to shipping here the nice part is, I am 15min from the border so picking up in Blaine or Seattle is definitely an option.

For resale I am sure you are right... The most value is in keeping the original block. I might be partial to the car in general in regards to my over all opinions... But everything works on it (minus the engine lol) including the cruise control. I plan to do a complete refresh since it's more or less 100% apart .. all new hoses, venturi delete, refresh the wire harness insulation since it's pretty brittle now, new bushings etc.

I have a 26/8 turbo which I had thought of throwing in... Of course would need different chips. The car would no longer be stock from the factory, so I don't know how that would affect the value. Either way I will refresh one of the turbos. It's a slippery slope 😂
I would contact Michael Mount at michaelmount123@gmail.com for recommendations on determining if block has alusil or nikasil cylinder walls and honing procedure. If you are going to purchase the pistons from Lindsey Racing, then contact Mike Lindsey for the same information from Michael Mount.

On a 944 NA block, Lindsey Racing sent my block to Millennium Technologies, Wisconsin, for Nikasil replating because had Nikasil pistons.

Last edited by T&T Racing; 12-09-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:39 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 329 Posts

I would review completed auctions for 951s on BAT and see if you can come up with a value estimate for your car. You might be surprised/pleased. A "no stories" car is always the best but in my mind if you maintain the existing block, the "story" of refreshed cylinders and a replacement crank will not affect value IMO. You may want to post over on the 951 forum regarding the track record for steel sleeves. I put garden variety steel sleeves in a 951 block that was used in my N/A track car. No problems after much hard use but your results may vary. Spencer (@V2rocket) mentioned to me a while back a guy in MN? that is repairing scored cylinder walls cost effectively. Or just locally pick your favorite Japanese 4 cylinder aluminum block engine knowledgable machine shop and see what they say.

While you are in there look into the exhaust ports on your head and make sure the ceramic coating isn't falling apart.

You will need to replace your oil cooler element or external cooler, as recommended in the factory WSM for cars with major bearing failure.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:35 PM
redline7921
Advanced

All good points. I did some calling around today in the local area and found out that no one is able to work on an alusil block, perhaps they don't want to touch it. The added cost of shipping somewhere else and then retrieving it will come into play. As you mentioned (I was unaware), the oil cooler should also be replaced. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Spun Rod Bearing + Cylinder Scoring