Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi I'm new :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Eyal quit trying to show off in front of the lady bragging you do all the maintenance yourself we all know that already

Welcome aboard, you'll find the usual stuff going on around here in forums, especially the ebay trashing and troll hunting of falsified info on rennlist...

Andy
Old 04-13-2004, 02:21 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool More girls on Rennlist, yaaay!

Hello, Lisa, glad to see that I'm not the only one anymore!

Sounds like you have a fairly sound plan for obtaining your 944, but I would suggest having a known 944 enthusiast/mechanic look the car over, and help grill the owners!

I know of several out here in California available, if you are willing to drive that far. Otherwise, I suggest our Classifieds on here.

Also, www.autotrader.com , www.recycler.com

Good hunting, and welcome aboard!

Oh, a girl I know out here has a newer Red model, with linen interior, except the black leather seats. She may or may not keep it, we are planning on doing her head gasket next week at our S. CA get together!

Yes, dudes, I invited her to meet you all! Very nice, hard working gal...and can strip an AK-47 faster than you can say it!

- Julie
Old 04-13-2004, 02:24 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 16, and I used to own a 1988 944. Here are some of the things I would look for and some things that I found wrong on my 944:

1. Like everyone said, make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced, and there are valid receipts. Water pump should be done every 60k miles, and the belt every 30k. It might be a good idea to change the belt anyways when you get the car.

2. I purchased my 944 with 132k miles on the clock. While the milege was high, the car ran like a top. Make sure the owner is not afraid to start the car on a cold morning. I usually schedule test drives in the morning, that way the car is cold (I usually request that the owner not warm up the car), and there's less traffic for me to battle with when i try to spot issues. The clutch on this particular car was replaced at 110k miles, and the car felt great. If the car you are looking for has over 100k miles, and the clutch slips, walk away. A clutch job on these cars is over $2000 for a mechanic to do it. Otherwise, look for a car with a new clutch, or one with under 80-90k miles on it.

3. While often overlooked, make sure the brakes are fairly new. Porsche brake rotors are rediculously expensive, and a high milege car may have rotors that are worn down past the machining limit.

4. Even with the car cold, the shifter should slot into gear fairly nicely. My 88 made light crunching noises when going into 2nd, which is signs of synchro wear. While it is possible to live with, it annoyed the hell out of me, and if I were to driver the car more, I'm sure a transmission rebuild would have been needed.

5. Check the dipstick and make sure it is clean oil. It should not be like a "milkshake." This usually indicates that the oil cooler is leaking, or the head gasket is blown, both something that you would like to avoid.

For $4000, i'm sure you can buy a decent late model 944, but with that budget, I'd avoid the 88 and 89, since they usually hold a better value, are more expensive to maintain (Many parts are different). I picked up my car for $3300, put relatively little money into it, and sold it for the same price I payed, but the brakes were getting worn, and a timing belt replacement was coming, so my bill could have easily shot to $5000.

My recommendation: Look for an 85.5, 86 or 87. I'm sure that you can find a decent one in your area in the $3000 region. Take your time in looking for one. Don't rush in and buy the first car you look at. For $3000, you should be able to find a car in the 100k mile region that needs relatively minimal work.

The best decision you've made so far is to join this forum. If you ever have problems with the car, I have found the members here to be some of the nicest people around. I've enjoyed the advice and help they've given me, and especially the get togethers some of us have had.

Good luck in finding your perfect 944!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:27 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: More girls on Rennlist, yaaay!

Originally posted by Devia
<snip> Very nice, hard working gal...and can strip <snip>
I liked her more with a few less words.

Yeah, Lisa .. someone should have said to contact Julie. Seems like she always knows of every 944 and variant that's for sale.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:39 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Exclamation

Red 944, um, I really don't think you'd want her to see what you just wrote!

Anyway, I love these cars like candy, much to my boyfriend/partner's demise, lol.

I doubt any of you will meet him, but I will try and haul him over for the Headgasket Party...or at least bring my Playstation for him, lol.

- Julie
Old 04-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Lisa:
Welcome to Rennlist! There are plenty of Rennlisters around the DC/Metro area. Nothing cooler than a female who likes Porsches as much as guys do (I married one).

Are you in the DC/Metro or Baltimore metro area? There are two good Porsche Club of America (PCA) regions covering both areas. Don't worry, PCA ers really are a friendly bunch. Check out www.pcapotomac.org. I think there are a few 944s for sale in the "Swap and Sell" classifieds.

For $4K you should be able to find a nice 944. ALL records are a must (unless you know the car). Poor maintenance can really make a mess out of a Porsche and put a serious damper on owning one. A well cared for 944 will last forever (my 86 has over 215K miles on it).
Old 04-13-2004, 11:23 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Welcome!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, Lisa, glad to see that I'm not the only one anymore!...
- Julie
Noy you KNOW that's not true Julie.. You are scaring the girl..

anyhoo.. Welcome the Rennlist. The only Porsche site that can:

1. Answer a technical question.
2. Get you a marriage proposal.
3. Provide mental and psychological support when the **** hits the fan.
4. Enjoy the "special" comeraderie with fellow watercoolers who are ALL crazy..
5. Have a laugh.
6. Help you find your desired vehicle. (Most of us look at 944's for sale all the time).
7. Talk you into doing a little wrenching on your own. (Not retching, that's 944 fest!)

all that in your first post.

Congrats on your decision to obtain a (watercooled, not the REAL kind of) Porsche.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:53 AM
fiercestcalm
Advanced

Hi Lisa! Nice to see another girl posting! I don't do a lot of posting, more lurking and reading, but the guys here are an unbeatable source of information.

Good luck in your search and don't be discouraged if it takes a while to find just the right one. It took me quite a few months to find mine, but well worth it. She is in beautiful condition and absolutely amazing to drive -- she will put a smile on my face no matter what kind of day I'm having!

You seem very well informed, which is great. When I was calling about cars in my search I would actually have some sellers feel the need to explain to me that the car is a five-speed and ask if I knew how to drive one -- just because I'm a girl! Sad! So you hit them back with a series of intelligent questions that show you know what you're doing and they'll change their tune quick!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly 4k will get you an Ok car.

Not great, but not really bad either. For about 5k you can get a really nice one.

It really depends on how much you are willing to fix. 944 ownership is an interesting experience. Pretty easy to get in. Once you are in the cars bring great joy when working, but can be nightmare's when not. The nightmare part can be minimized by two things.

1) Getting good solid car to start with. Pre Purchase Inspections are must if you can't do it yourself. Most folks can't unless they have done a few years of 944 ownership and maintence.

2) Prepare a budget and time for two type of problems. Fixing what the PO (previous owner did not) and normal and old car maintence. These cars do require maintence due to their age and miles along with a insensitivity to poor maintence. If you don't fix it when it needes it it can get very expensive. Most maintence work can by done by the owner if they have some basic mechanical skills, have a source for knowledge like rennlist and have the patience to take their time.

With all those warnigns in mind these cars provide a driving experience that few other cars at any price can provide. They trully are something specical. Where people run into problems is when they buy a "cheap" car without plans of doing repairs. All too soon something happens and they realize they in for more than they planned.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:36 PM
elf89
Pro

Lisa, Welcome to Rennlist. 944's are great cars and you have the right attitude to enjoy the heck out of one.

Laura, when I bought my 944 I had my wife come out to look at it. The PO went for a drive with her and when they came back he kind of took me aside and said, "She's pretty good with the 5-speed. You don't have to worry about the clutch with her." I laughed and told him that she taught me to drive a manual!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:39 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello, Lisa, glad to see that I'm not the only one anymore!
Hey! Don't forget me!

Lisa, welcome. You'll find this board to be a great source of information. Take some time looking around, you should be able to find the right car for you. If you can't find the perfect car, gimme a shout. I've got a red/black N/A that may be searching for a new mom
Old 04-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Better yet if you are located somewhere that has a well organized group of Rennlisters to help teach you (Kansas City, DFW/Houston, a few others).

Soon to open: Windy City Chapter!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
Better yet if you are located somewhere that has a well organized group of Rennlisters to help teach you (Kansas City, DFW/Houston, a few others).

Soon to open: Windy City Chapter!!!
Sure Matt, after I LEAVE the damn state.. i digress..

Matt is correct- Rennlist is everywhere, and a lot of grass roots self administered wrenching societies are springing up - Look for one in a neighborhood near you soon!
It's a great time to be a member..
Old 04-13-2004, 05:24 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did she say yes?

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new :)