Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Race Bred
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear timing cover

Just checking to see if anyone has one for sale. I looked on eBay but they are all for the front cover. I need the one behind the belts that backs up to the block. It’s for an 83 n/a. must have no cracks! Thanks.

My email is fss_611@msn.com
Old 04-11-2004, 03:34 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll check my stuff...can't promise, but I'll look!

- Julie
Old 04-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Race Bred
Advanced

I am still in need of one. I got all of the valves in today and I am planning on putting the head on tomorrow... So I’m in the home stretch and need the parts. Other things that I need:

Stock air box: good shape minimal scratches (or none ) and no stripped nuts (problem with this one)

Throttle cable (or should I go with the dealer)

Huge nut that’s not a nut on the cam shaft pulley

Woodruff key for that (might have to go dealer)

And the bolt for the cam shaft pulley

Thanks!

Eric
Old 04-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have the cover and maybe the airbox. Let me know if you still need them.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Race Bred
Advanced

I do. Shoot me a pm or e-mail with how much you want for them and also how you want payment. e-mail is fss_611@msn.com Thanks

Eric
Old 04-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Race Bred
Advanced

up
Old 04-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Sorry, I've been real busy at work the last couple days. I'll look tonight.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Race Bred
Advanced

Update: Parts I still need

Rear timing cover- I forgot to mention that the car has an updated water pump with the deflector bar. So I need the cover that will accommodate that.

Lower section of the air box with the nuts (non stripped)

Cap to the windshield washer reservoir with the lines going into the tank.

The hard coolant line that runs next to the passenger side of the block over the header and connects to the firewall (via a rubber hose). Must not be corroded.

Coolant elbow on the drivers side rear of the block that also goes into the fire wall. Again none or very little corrosion. If you have the two OEM hose clamps for that line I would be interested in them also.

Lmk!
With only four days of driving it and a month working on it I really want to get this thing on the road again.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:34 PM
poormans9fitty1
Banned

race bred...look on vertexauto.com they should have all the stuff that you need and they dont have too bad of prices. I just checked and they had then for my car a turbo.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Race Bred
Advanced

I will look into it. Thanks for the heads up. Any insight on which timing cover I should order (for the new style water pump)? Just get one for the cars that had that water pump (86+)?
Old 04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a rear timing cover off ebay for about $15.00 incl. shipping that was an "unmolested", original cover. I say unmolested, because I've seen a few of these covers that someone cutout, or should I say HACKED OUT the original opening in it to accomodate the newer style pump (I have one in the garage right now that is so badly hacked, it is now in 2 peices). I think its Clark's Garage that has the procedure, and a template that you can print out, and use to mark out a cover, then cut it out yourself. I just used a sharp utility knife, and kept scoring over and over till desired result is achieved. Just make sure if you get one of the older style covers, the very top of the cover, where the step up is on the cover, that the support ribs do not extend above the main surface of the cover. I doubt there is even any of these around anymore, but, I did see a TSB on these support ribs needing to be trimmed down to make sure the cam belt cannot possibly rub on them, thus causing not so good things to happen. I'm putting the one I trimmed out, on my '83 tommorow, as a matter of fact. (I just bought an updated pump, roller, and such). These covers have been changed/modified several times over the years. Some later cars don't use a vent hose from cover to airbox, some have a plug on the rear cover, some are solid plastic. I'd just used an original cover from another '83-'85/1.
Good luck!
Old 04-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

I used the soldering iron method to melt the plastic and make the mods for the updated water pump. It was pretty easy this way (but do it outside)...
Old 04-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opps!, template is not at Clark's, it is from a TSB. Here are links to get the upper and lower template if you want em. Just print them out (may have to adjust size a little), place template inside your rear cover, mark out and remove all of the remaining cover between the two templates. This is whats needed in order to fit the updated pump in.

upper template

lower template

Old 04-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Race Bred
Advanced

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I will be getting most of the parts needed from vertex... But any thoughts on just ordering an 87+ rear timing cover? Will that work for me? I would rather do that then cut up a new cover if I can help it. One thing I do need that I did not see in the vertex catalogue is the 90* elbow on the back of the head. Any thoughts on where to go for that?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Race Bred
Advanced

Sorry for pushing this so much but I need an answer. The only thing I could see making it not work is the 87+ having the auto tensioner. Also I'm still looking for a place to find the 90* elbow on the back of the block. Thanks for the help. Also who sells the 90* elbow on the back of the block. Someone with a parts car help me out... I still need a 32mm nut on the front of the camshaft...the dealer is saying they will have to get it from germany...any ideas?

Quick Reply: Rear timing cover