Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS brake line needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 03:37 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS brake line needed

I had one line snap and need to replace. I can only find them in sets of 4. Anywhere I can get just one? Or does someone have an extra one laying around? Front line for 944/924S. TIA! Dal
Old 04-10-2004, 04:07 PM
z3bra
Racer

Why did the one snap on you? Are you sure the other ones aren't going to do the same in the near future? You should really replace stainless ones every few years anyway. They're not a permanent replacement, look at them as a wear item like you would brake pads and rotors.

I would seriously recommend replacing them all unless they're fairly new and the one that snapped was because of something other than wear such as getting caught on something while you were working on the car or whatever.

It's only what 50 bucks or so for a set vs. a whole lot more if one of them decides to break while you're on the road or track and you end up wrecking the car. Plus there's the fact that you or someone else could get injured or killed as a result.

Not trying to bust your chops, but brakes aren't something to cut corners on.

If it is just broken as a result of something else then please disregard my lecture here, judging by your mods and age per your profile you're obviously not a kid going for the bling factor here. But look at it this way, if you do have to buy a set you'll have some spares at least.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Two most important things on a car..

A: The tires...
B: The Brakes...

If it snapped from wear.. I like z3bra would suggest that all should be replaced.... Its very important to have a reliable brake system.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:19 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

No, this one snapped during the suspension upgrade. Got wedged in the trailing arm. Otherwise normally I would replace all 4. Thanks Dal
Old 04-10-2004, 06:20 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

So, what is the supposed service life of the SS brake lines? I just ordered a set to replace my original rubber ones. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake, based on z3bra's comment.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:52 PM
z3bra
Racer

It depends, they last longer in warmer climates since the teflon stays more flexibe the warmer it is. The key is to inspect them regularly for any fraying or chafing on the braid or any obvious kinks on them. (True for any braided stainless lines on brakes or otherwise)

Usually it's the stainless that wears away whatever it's rubbing against instead of the other way around though. The ones with the plastic sleeve on them hold up longer and are a lot friendlier to everything else. The bigger problem is one you can't see in that the teflon inside can start to weaken from flexing and vibration. I think Goodridge makes kevlar braided brake line material that is a bit longer lasting since the braid iteself is more flexible whereas the stainless tends to be a little bit stiff and harder on the teflon inside. I've never seen any premade kits for anything using that stuff anywhere. The main thing is just to inspect them frequently and you should be ok and to replace them if you even remotely suspect they might have a problem. With you being in San Diego they should last several years at least. If you were somewhere cold and drove the car in the winter it would probably be a lot shorter usable lifespan. Even still replacing them every 3 years or so wouldn't be a bad idea. If you drive your car on the road make sure they're DOT legal. The test that stainless lines usually fail on is the "whip" test where they secure one end of it in a fixture and then whip it around. I don't know the requirements offhand but rubber hoses last a lot longer in that test fixture. Some of the new DOT legal kits have a spring based "strain relief" type thing on the ends so they pass. The other DOT requirement is that the fittings are permanently crimped onto the flexible line. Now if you don't care about the legal aspect, I've heard there's some earl's hose and fittings for brakes that is reusable that's actually really good as far as the life of the hose when it comes to the whip test but because it's not crimped it's not DOT legal. The only problem with not running DOT legal lines (even if they realistically are fine) is if you get in an accident, if the police or insurance even remotely suspected that you weren't using DOT legal brakes you're gonna get nailed. (especially the insurance guys, they're always trying to avoid paying out money and that makes an easy way to do so).

So anyway use the steel ones just remember they do require proper care and feeding. If they're not the plastic coated variety, what you can do to help avoid chafing is to wrap them with some of the spiral wire loom material that's made out of plastic. It just provides a first line of defense against things rubbing on them potentially causing a rupture. The plastic also keeps them from messing up whatever they happen to rub on as braided stainless lines are fairly famous for doing that. It's cheap and easy and works pretty good.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:12 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just did a search on this and considering no one replied to your very helpful response, i thought i would say thanks for the post!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Tb311
Racer

Well if you still want to get a set Paragon has the DOT legal set with the plastic sheild around the ss. I just got and set and I really like them. Gona be using them with my Big Reds
Old 03-09-2005, 04:43 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tb311
Well if you still want to get a set Paragon has the DOT legal set with the plastic sheild around the ss. I just got and set and I really like them. Gona be using them with my Big Reds
Yep I picked one up from Jason@ Paragon and I agree with you. Very nice lines!

Quick Reply: SS brake line needed