Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning a 87 944 turbo motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 06:08 PM
alexg123
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tuning a 87 944 turbo motor

Hey guys!
I live in midcoast Maine so anything you want to be done right, you have to do yourself. Especially with anything even the least bit exotic.
I need to tune my car, it hates starting especially cold requiring stupid amounts of throttle, and it is running stupid and I mean stupid rich. It gets like 4 mpg. The car has a bosch 058 DME and no KLR and the engine is in a 82 924 boosted with a Paxton ProCharger. I have never tuned a car, I understand the basics and could probably do it If the car had an obd2. And no I'm not talking a butt tune I'm sure I could find a dyno and someone to help me but I have never met a mechanic that has been successful fixing something of mine, not tried to rip me off, or just refused to fix the problem. hence why I fix things. I just need to know what needs to be done so I can assist whoever is going to tune the car.
Thank you guys for all the help I've received in the past!
Old 08-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm going to follow this one just to find out:

1. What a Paxton ProCharger is
2. What a '82 924 motor is doing in an '87 951
3. How you "tune" something like this

The following users liked this post:
J1NX3D (08-07-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:22 PM
alexg123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic

1. What a Paxton ProCharger is
3. How you "tune" something like this

A pro charger is a belt driven turbo so technically a supercharger.
2: the previous owner raced auto cross with the car so it has lots of goodies just not put together ideally
3: I wish a knew haha
Old 08-05-2021, 10:30 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Pics...

a centrifugal supercharger?
looks like a belt driven turbo compressor?

what engine management/fuel system?
what ignition?
Old 08-07-2021, 04:29 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic

2. It read like it is an '87 944 Turbo engine in an '82 924 and it is supercharged instead of the factory turbo?
alexg123 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:57 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking at your other thread, nice looking car! There is nothing vastly different about a 944 engine. Running rich, start with checking fuel pressure and the fuel pressure regulator.

As far as tuning goes, you are pretty limited if you stick with the 1980's technology.
  • You can get an EPROM/chip emulator, like the Moates Ostrich, and play around with factory maps but you will have no real-time feedback/logging and you're still dealing with 35+ year old electronics. https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-tunerpro.html
    • Focus 9 Technologies does have their OBD+ DME and is working on other projects. It is all still based on the 1980's DME though.
  • There is stuff like the M-Tune from Lindsey Racing which removes the air flow meter, adds a MAP sensor, and allows for data logging. This greatly improves things but it is expensive and the core of it is still the 1980's DME.
Running a 924S DME on a Turbo engine that is supercharged further complicates things though as these "plug and play" solutions are designed around stock/typical mod setups.

Also, it sounds like a Frankenstein wiring job...who knows what could be causing your issues. If it was me I would rip it all out and start over with a standalone ECU. If you are interested in learning to tune yourself check out sites like High Performance Academy.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:41 PM
alexg123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sixline
Looking at your other thread, nice looking car! There is nothing vastly different about a 944 engine. Running rich, start with checking fuel pressure and the fuel pressure regulator.

As far as tuning goes, you are pretty limited if you stick with the 1980's technology.
  • You can get an EPROM/chip emulator, like the Moates Ostrich, and play around with factory maps but you will have no real-time feedback/logging and you're still dealing with 35+ year old electronics. https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-tunerpro.html
    • Focus 9 Technologies does have their OBD+ DME and is working on other projects. It is all still based on the 1980's DME though.
  • There is stuff like the M-Tune from Lindsey Racing which removes the air flow meter, adds a MAP sensor, and allows for data logging. This greatly improves things but it is expensive and the core of it is still the 1980's DME.
Running a 924S DME on a Turbo engine that is supercharged further complicates things though as these "plug and play" solutions are designed around stock/typical mod setups.

Also, it sounds like a Frankenstein wiring job...who knows what could be causing your issues. If it was me I would rip it all out and start over with a standalone ECU. If you are interested in learning to tune yourself check out sites like High Performance Academy.
I really like that idea. What do you think it would cost to do a standalone, I was thinking haltech?
Old 08-12-2021, 04:45 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexg123
I really like that idea. What do you think it would cost to do a standalone, I was thinking haltech?
It is somewhat subjective as they will all run your engine. It will come down to budget, features you need, features you want, support, etc.. I have never used Haltech but they seem like quality ECUs, maybe a bit pricey when comparing features to others. I chose a Link G4X FuryX because it has tons of logging memory, built-in wideband, knock control, and HP Academy has a full course for Link. Look at the ECUMaster EMU Black and FuelTech, lots of features for the price. MegaSquirt is another one that has been around forever, budget friendly, and lots of people have used them on 944s.

Do some research on the trigger setup, the stock 944 stuff is a little odd from what I recall.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:20 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at the DIYAUTO Tune MSPNP Gen2 yes it says For S or S2 but if are willing to Swap the harness to a S or S2 easy route or get a Bosch 55 DME harness n swap the pins (the Hard way)
you can use a front mounted Trigger Wheel set up or Swap in a S/S2 Flywheel the route I took. Gives you engine control with Knock control like the KLR did Tuning software allows for tuning while you drive

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...sche-944-s-s2/
Would love to see pics of your build

Old 08-18-2021, 03:09 PM
alexg123
Intermediate

what is a trigger setup? and what do you think would work best for a budget of 2 grand I need a full harness and ECU
Old 08-19-2021, 06:12 AM
Dwizle
Racer

what is a trigger setup? and what do you think would work best for a budget of 2 grand I need a full harness and ECU
A $2k budget Megasquirt is the way to go If you are handy with Tools n wiring.
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...sche-944-s-s2/
MSPNP $800-$860 used S2 harness n Flywheel $400
Zirconocene (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 03:49 PM
alexg123
Intermediate

thanks for the info! wheres the best place to find a used harness and why do I need a flywheel? does it have something to do with the speed and reference sensors?
Old 08-19-2021, 06:46 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

It is the sensor or sensors that trigger ignition, fuel, and calculate RPM. The 944 Turbo has a 132 tooth crank angle/speed sensor and a single tooth "reference" sensor to identify Top Dead Center(TDC). This is an uncommon setup that doesn't work with a lot of standalone ECUs, some are compatible though. As @Dwizle has mentioned, if you go the MegaSquirt route then you need to run a front mounted trigger wheel or switch to an S/S2 flywheel which I believe has integral 60 minus 2 trigger teeth. 60 minus 2 is very common and supported by any standalone. Since there is no cam sensor you will have batch fire/non-sequential fuel injection and wasted spark or distributor ignition. Nothing wrong with this, just something to note. Sequential injection and ignition can have slightly better idle, low load, and fuel economy/emissions characteristics.

You will have to build/modify your own wire harness. I don't think there is anyone that offers a complete harness for 944s except Kroon which is very nice but lots of $$$. You will have to determine what will work best for you, budget friendly ECUs have already been mentioned.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:10 AM
Dwizle
Racer

thanks for the info! wheres the best place to find a used harness and why do I need a flywheel? does it have something to do with the speed and reference sensors?
I found the harness and flywheel on Ebay.
the more difficult route is to go to a junk yard find a BMW with a 55 pin DME cut the plug off with maybe 4 to 10 inches of wire. that gives you two options cut n splice or swap wires.
you will have to make some modifications to the S/S2 wire harness they use a external ballast resistor pack the MS has a peak hold inj circuit that takes care or that so you will need to run a common power wire from the O2 sensor heater + wire to power the injectors. Also to get the tach to work you will have to modify the plug that taps the signal to the gages the newer harness uses barrel connector while 86 n older use spade connectors it's the 2 wires in the red connector near the DME

Last edited by Dwizle; 08-20-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:48 AM
alexg123
Intermediate

ok right now this is seeming like the route I want to go, mega squirt with s2 harness. Where should I get the harness? I found one on evilbay for 250 bucks not sure if it's a good idea though. What would I have to do for the trigger setup, I would rather not swap the flywheel but my car could use a clutch soon.

Dwizle (09-18-2021)

Quick Reply: tuning a 87 944 turbo motor