Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken turn signal, no blinkie?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 02:39 AM
sangohan03
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken turn signal, no blinkie?

Since I got my car a year ago, 80% of the time, the turn signal wouldn't automatically shut off after a turn. That I could live with. Now, the turn signal doesn't blink anymore or go "clickity click". But the lights still light up (they just stay on on whichever side, but don't blink).

Do I need a new relay (I checked all the fuses...the relay I have says VW on it an has an Audi logo and is three pronged, when the socket is four..is that right?)? Or do I need a new uh..turn signal switch (whatever the assembly is right behind the steering wheel)? Part numbers; advice?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm not completely sure. do all the lights light up? mine i cant hear the click. And when the car is off, they are supposed to stay on if you leave on on, just like your saying yours does. The auto shutoff can be fixed by putting tape on the nub that sticks out the back of the steering wheel.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 AM
TKS
Intermediate

I had the same problem (lights on but not blinking), and a new relay solved it. Pretty sure it's a cheap relay too--it's the same one used in the old bugs.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehe, been there! I couldn't figuire it out forever.
Is this on an early or late car?

Here's the scoop on mine, tell me if this is how yours is being.
Mine would intermittently act up. You would turn on the turn signals/hazards, and the lights would just come on. Wouldn't blink, also, the light inside would not come on. I guess it blinks opposite the outside lights. So, after fiddling around with a few things in the fuse box, it worked for a day, then problem came back. Out of frustration, I flicked the relay, and instantly the turn signals came to life. So, I took the relay out (quite PO'd at this point) and shook it, then put it back in. Now it happens like 1/1000 times, and when it happens, I just turn the signal off and turn it back on.
So, try shaking your relay! =)

If that fixes it, I would just replace it, it's pretty cheap, and it's probably easier than the frustration.

If it's a late car, I can help you troubleshoot, I can pull my relay and start checking for power and such, but if it's an early, the most I can do is look over some wiring diagrams.

Best of luck to you on getting this fixed.

Oh, about the clicking thing. I know on the late cars, the turn signal relay is supposed to be very quiet, I cannot hear mine click unless I am completely stopped with the radio off. And yeah, that's right about them staying on, but if I recall correctly, it's the park lights on that side that are supposed to stay on, for parking on side streets in europe. If the turn signals stay on, there may be an issue??
Hope that is helpful in some way!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:53 AM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

It's most likely your flasher if it won't blink on either side.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:59 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

The automatic cancelling is a function of the switch. The flashing is the function of the relay. Sounds like you need both.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:21 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

the cancelling is a function of the steering wheel tab going over the t/s switch.

i have gotten 2 t/s switches from the same wrecking yard and none of the 3 will cancel after a left turn but the right side cancels fine and i suspect it's the steering wheel.
the tab on the wheel is not touching the white part of the switch that does the cancelling after the left turn, you can hear the difference from the right side which works ok.
my first replacement was for just what you described, t/s light on, not flashing and wouldn't cancel on the left turn.

replacing the switch allowed the turn signals to work properly but just wouldn't cancel after the left turn and the replacement the yard sent was the same so i have to hand cancel after the left turn and i just live with it.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Really? I have never seen the turn signal switch cause a no-blink problem.
That would be pretty neat if it happened.

So, check both the switch and the relay!

I as well have the issue that my signals will not auto-cancel on left turns only.
I checked out both pins on my aftermarket wheel, and tried re-arranging them, no luck.
I will take apart the switch, it's a long shot, but maybe I'll come up with a solution.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:17 PM
elf89
Pro

My car had both problems. I did a little writeup on fixing the cancelling problem on the turn signal switch. It was pretty easy and kind of fun.

Turn Signal Cancelling Fix

I also had the lack of flashing. I picked up a cheap ($10) flasher from Autozone. It was smaller and cheaper looking than the original German one in the car, but it had the right prongs and all the right markings on it. It worked, as in it made the signals flash, but one side blinked faster than the other which was very annoying.

I took it back and the Autozone guy was convinced it was a wiring problem in my car. I put the German one back in and it's worked great ever since. So I agree with the guy who said to take it out, clean the contacts and give it a little shake. I suspect my problem will come back, and I'll have to find a better quality flasher. If anyone has any leads on that let me know.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Lol, shaking it worked for somebody else too! =)
I haven't read the write up yet, but good job on getting one together, I'm sure it will come in handy.
Did your car sit for a long time before the blinker problem started?

Mine started about a month after I bought the car. Before I bought it, it sat for about a year, outside.
Perhaps it just gets a little stuck or something.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:37 PM
elf89
Pro

Zero10: My "no blinkie" situation started when it was really hot during the summer. By the time I started fixing it, the weather was getting cooler, so I figured that's why it was working again. I'm more hopeful that between cleaning the contacts and shaking it that did the trick since it worked for you too.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:50 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

great tip using the tape
Old 04-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get a generic VW flasher relay at an import auto parts store. Should cost under $25. You could try used, if you're really tight on cash, but they do last a long time.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Zero10
Race Car

From what I hear the VW flashers work just fine, but they do tick a little louder (who cares really??).
It looks like my blinker is fixed for good. I guess it gummed up either because of sitting for over a year, or because it's right beside my window relay which keeps burning up.

Quick Reply: Broken turn signal, no blinkie?