Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA Exhaust manifold removal...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:41 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NA Exhaust manifold removal...?

Did a search and every where I have looked the proceedure found is for a 951. I see that is a night mare!
What is the way to go about removing an 944 na manifold? Studs have to be removed? TIA! Dal
Old 03-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
I just did this job a couple weeks ago, man what a bitch it is!!!
Okie dokie, let's walk through this.
First, pull the nuts. Everybody will tell you the studs have to be removed, but mine did not.
To get teh 1-4 header out, you must first remove the 2-3 header. Once it is unbolted, it will pretty much lift out (providing you loosened the 1-4 header).
I had the oil cooler and filter removed when I pulled the 1-4 header, but I don't think you have to remove it. It takes a lot of twisting and turning to try to get it out, and it's pretty difficult to explain how to snake it out, but essentially, you will pull the #1 pipe out the front, underneath the top of the timing belt cover, then twist it a bit, and the #4 header will slip over the cam cover, then it pretty much lifts out.

Sorry to be so vague on this, but it's a tough thing to explain.

So, long story short, remove coolant pipe, unbolt the manifolds from the head and from the downpipe, remove the PS resevoir (perhaps before unbolting, it makes access easier), just set the PS resevoir aside for a bit (providing it does not leak), then lift out the 2-3 header, then squeeze out the 1-4 header.

If you are able to remove the entire exhaust, or at least the y pipe after the manifolds, they may fit out the bottom. I never tried.

Sorry to laugh at the beginning, but I spent about 3 hours getting them out and back in (several times, they were welded wrong), after reading instructions for a turbo.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:35 PM
car_slave
Pro

I just did mine without removing the studs, and it was a b-------. So in retrospect I think taking out the studs would have made the job a lot easier. Also, I pinched off and removed the heater hard pipe.

Break out the penetrating oil

Good luck
Old 03-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Greg Wood
Intermediate

Don't know about the exhaust, but ran into Tony this weekend at Homestead. Great guy. Let my ten-year-old sit in his car for a photo. The car was fast, but went out at lap 8. Don't know why.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:48 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

I had the manifold loose when I did the cooler so I know it is not corroded at the stud and nuts. But can't picture any coolant tube on that side that is in the way? I am going to drop them vs. out the top.

Greg....Good to hear! I had not heard on the out come yet, too involved on my own car.....weeeeeeeee! And you know that the boy of yours is now in Rookie School!!! Dal
Old 03-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

I just took the nuts off and the studs are still in. planning to try to remove the manifolds this weekend. How do i get the studs out, and are they reusable? I think i will go out right now and start shooting penetrating oil.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:13 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Double nut the stud and back it out with a wrench on the bottom nut. Dal
Old 04-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed my headers with the studs in (removed them thinking I needed them out, but they are easier to install without the headers in).
Provided you have the tubular steel headers, there is no reason why the studs have to be out. It just takes a tad more work getting them around the studs. Much easier than removing/installing the studs.

However, for the cast iron headers, I cannot say anything. They look the same though.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:05 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

I have a set of ceramic headers going in. Right now the entire bottom of car is off so access to the manifold shouild be straight forward. HAS TO BE MUCH EASIER than the Torsion Bar install!!!! OH I am not going through that ordeal ever again!!!! 2 days and still going at it indexing the darn thing. Dal

Quick Reply: NA Exhaust manifold removal...?