Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Photoshop reques.... 951 color change....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Photoshop reques.... 951 color change....

Ok, well I really need to learn photoshop and have been saying that forever, but because I don't have the program I guess I need to buy it first....

but anyway my request...

Photoship Zanzibar Red (spelling), onto a 951.... I think its a great color and just currious to see how it comes out....

Here is the color

and if you need a 951 to put it on, here is my 951....

Thanks in advance guys.....
Old 03-31-2004, 11:21 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Zanzibar Red is a great color and looks stunning on a GT3. It was one of the colors I considered for my car. But I was afraid the 80's styling of the 944 wouldn't go hand in hand with that color.

But I would sure like to see 944 in the color!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:30 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Yeah i'm thinking well down the road on this one, the paint on my car is good, but not great and I have come up with this three year plan for my own life, so I thought I might come up with one for the 951 as well.

I love gaurds red and all (even though mine is much more orange than that) but when I get around to doing the mirrors, rear bumper, hood, and a few other bits that I want to do I'll be painting 30% of the car, so why not pull the motor and go the whole 9 and have it switched to something unique....

I want to stick with an OEM color, and Zanzibar Red with a set of wheels with a black center and polished lips has my attention at the moment.....
Old 03-31-2004, 11:36 AM
IllMillRam1500
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats so beautiful.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:58 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave it a shot, maybe this will help? The color isnt a whole lot different, i think it looks great (the color, not the pshop job).
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2004, 12:08 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

I took a few tries, but the only results I could get out of it were various faded blends of Guards Red that we see from our cars.

While quite a unique color, it certainly does polarize opinions
Old 03-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Bret 944
Pro

My color looks almost the same, except I made the center's of the rims black like you were talking about.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:30 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

I gave it a try and ended up with Barbie's Porshhhh, it's a nice color but difficult to match.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:04 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Yeah I was thinking this would be a hard color to pull off, thanks so far for giving it a shot guys.....
Old 03-31-2004, 01:37 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Gimme till this evening Ian....and if you have a paint chip that would help a lot. I'll render up a version in LightWave Right now I have the C2s on my model that I'm rendering with so I can even match the rims in that photo above......

I'll look for a paint chip image online as well....
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

turbo944 i cant say enough how good those 3D models you made look. The attention to detail, curves and reflection are VERY good. Nice job. Any cabin shots?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:39 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Thanks The chrome on the tailpipe is wrong though...I was using the same surface as the inside of the taillights and it doesn't work on that....give it the same look as the wheel lips and it looks much better....that's about 2 weeks old now.

It's getting just about done....for some reason I can't seem to stay awake at night lately and work on anything much.

As for the cabin, you'll be able to see parts of it through the windows, but I've got to get some more real images to finish up the interior buttons and so forth, but it's almost all there right now save for the steering column and pedals. I'm not super concerned about the interior at present though as long as it looks right from exterior shots. Get some animations rendering of the outside and I may go back and tweak on the interior further.

Sorry to hijack, Ian BTW...I found my paint chip....just got to grab that color and toss it on the surface and render again.

BTW Rich....I'm using FPrime now to render with much higher settings and getting much nicer render times!

Originally posted by Antonioali
turbo944 i cant say enough how good those 3D models you made look. The attention to detail, curves and reflection are VERY good. Nice job. Any cabin shots?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:25 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

is lightwave a 3D cad program that's used for cosmetic rendering or for structural design, like Pro/ENGINEER and Inventor are used for? I never heard of it until I saw your posts about it a while back. What is the interface like? How long did it take you to model that?

Either way, great job! That looks about perfect to me!! Happen to have a Guards Red 951 with PDs on it??
Old 03-31-2004, 04:41 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

LightWave is a 3D application for rendering graphics. There have been people to write plugins and more and more natively you can use realistic physics simulations in the program, primarily to help in creating real world effects with minimal work by the user and to have them to be realistic. Realflow (fluid and gas simulation) and in LW8 (due out any time) they have incorporated rigid body physics (hard objects) in it as well as softbody simulation (clothing, etc.). It's not really something you'd design an engineering blueprint with though, although you could.

You've actually seen it a bunch and just never knew it. Tomorrow Never Dies, Star Trek Voyager, Enterprise, Nemesis, Roughneck, Starship Troopers cartoon (CG), Children of Dune, and Attack of the Clones to name a few projects that LightWave has been used on.

Unlike some of its competitors, LightWave uses a primarily text based interface instead of little picture icons (which drive me nuts trying to learn) and it is a polygonal based modelling tool rather than more spline based like Maya, although you can certainly do splines in LightWave. You can see images of the interface at their homepage, http://www.newtek.com and the interface and all of the keys you use in it are pretty much customizable the way you want.

Modeling time....well, I worked on this off and on and whenever you first start a new project you learn more about the package you're using. I tried to keep as much of this car in subpatch mode, so I spent some time learning some new techniques on some of it, but otherwise if you discount my web surfing, chatting, etc. while working on it, probably 80 hours now. This version has a splitter I can add or remove, I can replicate 100 of them in a scene together, paint them any color I want, and I have built my FRH turbo twist wheels, Cup 1s, phone dials, Fuchs, Club Sport, and I'm most of the way done with the D90 wheels. I've also got a 968/S2 rear wing, door handles, and mirrors in the works as well as the Turbo S 3-piece wing. I'll also have both the ROW (pictured in that image) and the US versions of the car and once I finish up the sidemarkers, I'll be ready to start the NA version, which will be that model with a few changes. Also going to build Ruf wheels, some Kinesis, and whatever else sparks my fancy. If there is interest, I'm going to do some posters and see about getting them printed for sale so the 944 lovers will have some neat artwork to hang on their walls. T-shirts, mousepads, or whatever else maybe through cafepress as well....

Thanks! I've spent enough time on it that it should be quite accurate. I am still tweaking the reflections in it with this new renderer though.

Guards red and PDs are a snap

Anyway, before Ian kicks me off his topic

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
is lightwave a 3D cad program that's used for cosmetic rendering or for structural design, like Pro/ENGINEER and Inventor are used for? I never heard of it until I saw your posts about it a while back. What is the interface like? How long did it take you to model that?

Either way, great job! That looks about perfect to me!! Happen to have a Guards Red 951 with PDs on it??
Old 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how about this color?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Photoshop reques.... 951 color change....