Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

evilBay fraud alert!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Ben Plaisted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"m with Eyal on this, Lets F*ck with him and then get him arrested !! What a dumbass this guy is.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:40 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The phone number is funky though -- he lists a UK address (Birmingham, UK) and what looks like a US phone number (area code: 760). Birmingham UK would be something like 44(0) 121.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:42 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phone number comes us as Verizon Cell Phone in CA on a reverse lookup.

760-777-9738
Old 03-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow.. so strange. wonder why noone does this with my car. oh wait, because they wouldnt get much for it.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:52 PM
starr944
Instructor

Someone needs to just report this to eBay - you never know what this con-artist will do with your information once you contact him. I'd let them handle it - then again, messin' with him does sound fun. Tell him you'll Western Union $20,000 if he ends the auction early.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Call him now he is up, i just called blocked I D to see if the number even works, and some dude answered, I hung up.....I just jumped into this though so I dont know if I should be the one to talk.....SOmebody please call this guy and **** with him, or i will...Is this for sure, Is the veidence that strong..Cause I wil also call the local cops in his area and have him arrested for fraud..I don not tolerate this type of bull****....Somebody call him..

DAmian
Old 03-28-2004, 11:58 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw something similar with a Porsche engine I was interested in buying. I bid on it and recieved an e-mail warning me that it was a fraud and that the account of the seller had been hijacked by someone. So I e-mailed to seller and sure enough got a message similar to the one you posted here. I replied saying that I would have someone from the local PCA come pick up the engine and pay for it. I got a incomprehensive response so I never replied. I then reported it to E-bay.

I have been stung on 1 deal so far on e-bay to the tune of $200 for a rear spoiler for an RX7. I currently have a manifold that I paid $100 for that is way overdue. Since this is obviously a fraud I encourage everyone to get as much contact information as possible and report this to the police. Do you have to pick up money in person at western union? If so maybe a small amount can be sent and the police can wait for him to pick it up. I notice he says not to put down what it is for. I assume this is so that if he does get asked he can give some bull**** answer. There has to be a way to shut this guy down and make him pay. Contact the police and see what they say.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:03 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damian you need to breathe man! We all hate seeing this stuff A LOT! I received his email and i responded asking why the car was being shipped etc. just to yank his chain a little.

Maybe someone should just call saying they ran a carfax on it, and the car is totaled or salvaged or better yet the car is located in Boston MA. Put him on the spot a little.

-Erich
Old 03-29-2004, 12:07 AM
josephsc
Race Car

I'm going to mess with him a little -- while collecting as much info as I can. I still can't bid on it my own car, yet though -- gotta remind him to put me on the approved bidder list.

I'm trying to contact the real owner of the eBay account through his former trading partners to give him a warning.

Also keep in mind that the cell phone number is also probably some unlucky guys' legitimate cell phone number. I doubt that the seller has given any legitimate contact info, except possibly the Western Union address in UK (most of these guys operate overseas).
Old 03-29-2004, 12:16 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No one else call or do anything...let Joe handle it, and Joe, tell us if you need our help to bid on it or call him or go and find him.
Good luck.
Let's show this guy that you don't F*CK with us.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:21 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Yes, don't call that number -- I'm sure that's not really him but someone innocent... I'll call to be sure, though.

Unfortunately, the guy's address also turns out to be fake; it's a Holiday Inn Express in Birmingham, UK.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:23 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait to see if he asks for a mailed payment - once he does it's mail fraud and a FEDERAL crime (to add to the list he's probably already committing).

I think in some states the auctions actually ARE legally binding - you're damn lucky you're under 18, which means you can't legally enter into a contract, so you're still off the hook, but for a different reason. I suspect if they ever tried to call someone on the carpet for something like that and they could prove that they had their username / password comrpomised they'd get off though. . .
Old 03-29-2004, 02:23 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait to see if he asks for a mailed payment - once he does it's mail fraud and a FEDERAL crime (to add to the list he's probably already committing).

I think in some states the auctions actually ARE legally binding - you're damn lucky you're under 18, which means you can't legally enter into a contract, so you're still off the hook, but for a different reason. I suspect if they ever tried to call someone on the carpet for something like that and they could prove that they had their username / password comrpomised they'd get off though. . .
Old 03-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

This is nothing new. There was a brand new Pontiac GTO with a price of $18,000 -- the car sold, then was for sale a week later with the EXACT same VIN number under a different eBayer.

I hate scum bags.

What a skunk.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:56 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Put the car away somewhere where it can not be seen and call the police and report it stolen then give them the ad at Evilbay and let them go knock on his door. The police now MUST go investigate him. I can see his face now as the cops get out the cuffs! Dal

Quick Reply: evilBay fraud alert!