Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement 944NA

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch replacement 944NA

Anyone have any suggestions for upgrading a 87 944 NA clutch

Centerforce
Sachs
Sachs 944 turbo
Sacks Power Kit
?????
Old 03-24-2004, 04:41 PM
'88-924S
Racer

I just put in the updated Sachs spring center clutch. Only have a few dozen miles so far and it is like a different car. I think youcan easily overkill on the NA with a clutch, save the money for something else. Others, of course, may disagree.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:12 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

I replaced my clutch last September. Go with the updated spring center clutch from Sachs. No reason to go with anything more extreme. While you're in there, make sure to replace the TO bearing, pilot bearing, and the two bearings in the release fork. Naturally, replace the pressure plate too.

It's not an especially hard job, but takes a LOT of effort. If there's somebody in your area that has done it, try to enlist thier help. It will go a LOT faster. With expreience, it can be done in a weekend.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

If you follow the directions on Paragon's Tech-Session site you should be fine. I found that it was an easier job once I had ALL of the tools they list on the page.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:26 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

garage has just put in a new clutch for my 944 N/A today (Sachs centre spring type)
Because they had to do the headgasket as well they chose to remove the engine. Hope to pick it up tomorrow
The clutch centre rubber doughnuts failed Actually they are like 1" thick rubber discs bonded together . When they fail the bonding between the discs fails and you suddenly get no drive.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:52 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jim - I would agree that the Sachs spring style is fine for an N/A. Thats what i put in 15K miles ago. While you are there as other have mentioned replace the clutch fork bearings and possibly the main seal. All thats required the change the rear main seal once your to the clutch is taking off the flywheel...which isn't a big deal...

You may want to update your location so guys know where you live, people often offer to come help!

Good Luck!
Erich
Old 03-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I updated with the Sachs spring as well. Very nice feel - I don't notice any difference between it and the original clutch.

That having been said, I wouldn't sell out entirely on the rubber-centered unit. Mine lasted well over 100k on the 85.5. Does anyone here have any longevity guesses on the spring-centered units? I've heard that they are actually quite a bit less durable in the long-run.

Micah
Old 03-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Rod Thomson
Advanced

Thumbs up

Jim,

I have a spring center Sachs in my 85.5 as well. As far as longevity goes it has 85k miles on it now and still going strong. Having said that I can get some grab if I heat it up, having to stop and go on the hills around here. I should really have a look next time Im under to see how much material is left on the plates but I havent had to spend much time under there lately. When it goes, I will be doing it myself.(with the help of the board that is, of course)

R.T.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:31 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Hey Jim. BTW great name. I watched a certain Jim Clark race in the 60's. I'm due for a clutch and options range from stock rubber centre to Kevlar Markus Blazek clutch. The original is pretty good but from what i hear if you intend to push the thing as in autoX consider an upgrade, as far as cost the kevlar really isn't much more and considering all the stuff that has to get done anyway maybe it isn't a bad investment.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:52 PM
JB '87 944
Instructor

Can anyone tell me...I suspect the 87's also came with the rubber pucks. How can you tell when these things are starting to give up...sorry if that sounds like a newbie question. Also, at what point should you clutch be engaging...1 inch from the floor, 2 inches? What's right?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

John,

There have been a ton of posts concerning what the car "feels" like when the rubber center goes. I would search the archives and you'll come up with a night's worth of reading...

In my case, I had a very slight (only I could tell - the two mechanics I initially consulted could not...) "bucking" sensation when coming on and off the throttle as well as a distinct vibration at 3k that transmitted softly (initially) through the shifter. The bucking became gradually worse as well, but at no point did the car give any kind of weird shifting tendencies.

In my mechanic's words: "when they're like this, they'll go tomorrow or in a year... take yer pick!"

Micah
Old 03-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yup, some good info in this thread. Just to add my 2 cents, I went with the Sachs spring center setup a few years ago (got the whole setup from Paragon). It's handled something like 60 or 70 track days without a problem, and it still feels fine. No need for kevlar or whatever.

The only downside I know of with this setup is that on some cars it produces more drivetrain noise, sometimes a lot. Mine is noticeably noisier than with the rubber center, but my car's noisy and harsh anyway, so it doesn't matter. Personally, I think the stock setup is fine for most cars, mine lasted 80k+ miles and a couple of years of track events.

Matt
Old 03-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey ya i was once considering a kevlar or performance clutch for my 89 n/a and then my dad forced me to go with a stock sach's upgraded spring clutch...even though he let me put in the aluminum flywheel ...anyway...after driving the car which i just got back from the shop the car is TOTALLY different...i actually stalled the first time when i went back in i was so surprised...but trust me...the stock sach's is more than enough...

jake
Old 03-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im curious also, where does your clutch engage? I am looking to buy a 944 from a friend of my fathers and on my test drive the clutch seemed to engage very high compared to other cars i have driven.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Bret 944
Pro

My '88 engages at the very top of the pedal travel, did this with the stock clutch, does this now with the Sachs spring clutch (replaced about 10K ago). However, my '87 Turbo (stock clutch still, 93K on the clock) catches about 1-2 inches from the floor. However, the turbo has some bucking, and I think the clutch may be going, so it may be catching there for that reason.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement 944NA