Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Turbo dilema...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:19 PM
WannaGuards944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944 Turbo dilema...

I am going to get a nice 951 sometime soon when I have soem more money saved up. My first car was an E30 325i and I sold that because my freshman year at college, this year, I can't have a car and I got a good offer on it.

I have been looking at 951's on Ebay and anyone who is selling them to get an idea of how much I will need for a nice running car in good cosmetic and mechanical condition. If I had, say, about $7500 or $8000 by the end of the summer, could I get a nice 951?

Also, if anyone could do me a favor and let me know if anythign comes up or you know of anyone selling one, expecially a Guards Red one, around Albany, NY or in the Northeast.

Thank you for any help and I hope to own one soon.

*Sorry if this is in the tech forum and not somewhere else, feel free to move it if need be.

Regards,
-Ryan
Old 03-23-2004, 10:08 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Ryan,

I'm visting my mother in Troy right now. The way prices are now, $7-8k should get you a pretty decent car. I bought my '88 (non-S) with 47k miles for $9300, 5 years ago. Unfortunately, I just lost my headgasket at 163k miles, so my car is currently out of commission.

Good luck,
Old 03-23-2004, 10:13 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Hey Ryan,

Welcome to the family (soon...)! Take a peek at mine... click on the link in my sig. I just bought her from a fellow Rennlister 10 days ago fro $6700. Runs like a champ, wonderful interior. The only problems I have had with her recently were a flat 5+ year old tire after 4 days and general Porsche insanity.

Keep looking around Rennlist for one and elsewhere as well. I'll keep an eye out for you as well. You'll love 'em, they're a total blast to drive!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:15 PM
moreboost

ive had my turbo since last february, and its been great, i wouldnt trade it. i was going to school then, and making peanuts at an independant shop. but i could afford it because i got to use the shop when something broke, and i got parts at cost. now im going back to school without the benefit of a shop or cheap parts, and the car is staying in my dads garage... i wont have the financial ability to take care of it the way i want to 'till im done. they are great cars and are very reliable, but im not sure i would want to count on it for daily transportation if it was my only car. theyre fifteen years old, stuff breaks (more accurately, seals leak). and when it does, it is commonly an expesive fix if you dont do it yourself. there are a lot of guys here who use them at school, and im sure they have the means, i dont. dont get me wrong, im not telling you what to do, just trying to offer some insight to help your decision. im fortunate enough to get the use of my dads tracer while im in school. which is cool, because if it goes to hell, its not a big deal. good luck with your schooling

take care,
brian
Old 03-23-2004, 10:24 PM
WannaGuards944
Intermediate

Thanks guys for all the help and support. I have been lerking around on this forum for a while now researching and looking at members cars. I have been lucky to get my BMW for my first car and I love German cars so I am even more excited to get a 951 sometime soon.

All of you Rennlisters are great and I am soo glad there is a place I can go to enjoy my love of cars and not have to deal with people telling me ho efast or hot their Civic, etc is. I just wanted to say something and I can't wait to join the 9xx community.

One more thing, to help me find a 951 are there any good places to look other than Ebay or Rennlist?

Thanks again! Looking forward to see any Rennlisters in the Albany, NY area.

-Ryan
Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Ryan, I'm close to Albany, if you ever wanna meet up when I'm around there hit me up with a message and if you want you can take the N/A for a spin..

or the conquest
Old 03-23-2004, 10:32 PM
WannaGuards944
Intermediate

Thanks, I will send you a message when I get back home to Albany from college!
Old 03-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you save up about $2000 beyond the purchase price to take care of routine maintenance items. Then expect about that much per year to keep them alive. Some years more than others.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:53 PM
WannaGuards944
Intermediate

Yeah, I have heard that before. I plan on doing everything to bring the car up to a near perfect running condition and any regular maintainence that it may need. Come the fall, I plan on taking my car to college with me so it will have to be fairly reliable. I think this will work out well if I maintain the car and get everything fixxed that may need to be done with the help of my mechanic.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo dilema...