Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We are almost done

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 02:02 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default We are almost done

Guys, we are almost done with the 968 engine conversion. We have a few steps (big steps) left, but the bulk of the hard work is done.

If Morgan Kipper wouldn't have completely stiffed me (thus far) my DME and fuel rail/cover, we'd be able to finish tomorrow. But a few Rennlister's came to the rescue and are helping me out.

Special thanks to the following:

My buddy Eric! (1screaminZ)
Travis (Rennbay.com)
968turboS
George B. (944ecology.com)
Keith M. (TaboII)
Al (91S2)
Chuck (Paragon Products)
Jeff (PartsHeaven)

If you've helped me and I forgot to list your name, let me apologize in advance. It's late (1AM) and I'm tired -- been under a Porsche all day!!

Can't wait to start this beast up.

On a different note, Eric and I are going to write up the entire process, with all the parts you will need and how to do everything from mounting the oil cooler to splicing the DME to mating up the 968 engine with the 944 na torque tube... This process was much easier then we originally anticipated (thus far, knock on wood).

I will let you know how it goes the rest of the way (after we get the DME in, etc.). That should happen in about 2 weeks.

Cross your fingers.

Regards,
Matt Olde
Old 03-19-2004, 02:15 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on the first start-up Matt. Did you take a bunch of pics along the way?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:47 AM
mrmunky
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,
Damn impressive work.. going to make for some envious Rennlisters
Very best of luck on startin' er up.. Even better luck trying to sleep while you wait on parts, i've been there buddy lol.. i'll keep an eye out for that list, it needed to be done. Pics too!!

Later
Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Excellent! I look forward to seeing the writeup. I'd love to do this someday.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys, wait till you see pics!

I kid you not when I say we have just under 10 hours of work in this car. It has been relatively easy [knock on wood], and I hope the wiring issues don't prove to be too difficult. If that is the case, I say anyone with half a brain, time, and resources can knock this beast out.

I'll let you know how it goes. Off to the muffler shop today since we can't do anymore work without the parts.

-Matt
Old 03-19-2004, 12:22 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Congrats Matt. I hope she fires right up for you. I always wanted to do that project on my 85.5 944. I may be helping a friend do that swap one day soon and a good write up will be a big help.
Did Raj get you fixed up? Don't take too many of his parts 'cause he has a few things I want to buy from him!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:32 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Awesome Matt, congratulations!! I cant wait to see the pics/write up. Sounds like it went pretty smooth considering the delays.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sweeeet. Looking forward to the pics.

Too bad about the turby deal though....
Old 03-19-2004, 02:32 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

10 hours only? Time spent/enjoyment ratio should be pretty damn high!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:35 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Matt Olde
Thanks guys, wait till you see pics!

I kid you not when I say we have just under 10 hours of work in this car. It has been relatively easy [knock on wood], and I hope the wiring issues don't prove to be too difficult. If that is the case, I say anyone with half a brain, time, and resources can knock this beast out.

I'll let you know how it goes. Off to the muffler shop today since we can't do anymore work without the parts.

-Matt

Matt, congrats! I'm glad to hear it is going well. I can't wait to see pics, and, more importantly, hear about driving impressions!

10 hours!?! Damn, I have more time than that invested in repairing, painting, and mounting my rear euro bumper. Shees! Impressive.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:37 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Congratulations! Matt, you're better man than I for doing the conversion yourself -- I had to get professional help. Good job!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Predator
Pro

Congradulations Matt !! It is so refreshing to read a thread about a challenging project gone right instead of some mechanically challenged meatball wanting to know how to remove chrome or how to fit a wing on the glass hatch! Jezz, it's about 10 to 1 on interesting threads lately. OK, I'm finished venting about how this list is leaning toward the east (far east)! I look forward to future threads and pics on your project. (I need a hug)!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Predator, -- no kidding. BTW, you have no idea how much we've talked about the LT1 conversion the past few days. Honestly -- if we were doing the LT1 conversion it would have proved to be as much $$ and we'd probably be finished by now - no kidding. Eric knows the LT1 like the back of his hand and we wouldn't be being screwed over regarding parts. But ce la vie and I know I will enjoy the 3.0L in there. Should prove to be a bunch of fun.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I took lots of pics today I will upload tonight.

Thanks guys!

-Matt
Old 03-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

BTW --

I had to drop alot more cash on the exhaust today then I originally budgeted for... but man does it look good. The SFR 3" cat back with custom y-pipe coming off JetHot coated headers to 3" pipe.... looks gorgeous. Just got back from the muffler place an hour ago -- I need to try to snap some pics and get those up here too.

-Matt
Old 03-19-2004, 09:32 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Matt Olde
Thanks guys, wait till you see pics!....
Waiting.

Waiting......

Waiting....?????

Pictures!!!!????

Seriously - Good for you Matt...!!!!!!!!

I'm sure that they will be excellent!!! When are you turning the key on this beast??!!!!

JD

Quick Reply: We are almost done