Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy Interest: Wurth Paint Products

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:43 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Group Buy Interest: Wurth Paint Products

Group Buy Interest: Wurth Paint Products

Hey Guys – The Subject line pretty much sums up the point of this post. Let me first explain why I’m doing this. I am about to begin refinishing a set of phone dials for my 924S. I searched the archives and learned a lot about the process, and my conclusion was that I would prefer to go with the well-known Wurth Silver Paint.

However, when I started to research and source the paints I was shocked at the price as well as the variability of the price between suppliers. So I contacted Wurth directly! I was amazed that they do offer their products directly to the public, and their prices are the best I’ve found. They are between 30-50% cheaper than all the places I have looked. The only catch, I would need to buy three or more cans. Although that would be fine with me, I thought maybe I should organize a group buy for anyone interested.

Here are their prices:

Silver Self Etching primer: $13.10/can
Silver Paint (1984 and Newer Color): $12.05/can
Clear Coat: $9.47/can

This post is to gauge interest in whether any listers are interested in buying along with me. People could obviously order as many or few of each product as they desired. There would be one order placed with Wurth and I would then distribute them. I can’t think of any easier way. I will have to ask Wurth if they can ship to multiple addresses, as that would save me lots of time!

I am posting this in many other forums here on Rennlist. However for ease of dealing with this please respond to the main thread HERE.

Or you can email me directly as es002j@mail.rochester.edu. Please no PM’s please those boxes fill up very easily!

Thanks for reading!

Erich Schmidt
Old 03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm I would maybe be interested if you can check out the price for the black paint since I have fuchs and would let to refinish them in black.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Put me down for a set as well.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:15 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Hey Seb928 - I will call tomorrow and ask about that. They generally have at least a two sometimes three can minimun. Would that be ok with you?

Raj - I heard i'll be seeing you tomorrow, i be up there around 4:30 or so...Talk to you then!

Thanks Guys! Anyone else interested at this point?

-Erich
Old 03-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey ErichCS,

Any idea how many cans of each it takes to finish a set of 4 wheels? I need to refinish 4 17" turbo twists.

Thanks,
Old 03-19-2004, 12:22 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Hey Skip - I have heard no more than two cans, some have said in previous posts they only needed one. So i guess it depends, maybe someone else who has refinished their wheels can add some input...

I will only be ordering two cans of primer, paint and clear coat. I think that should be enough!

HTH
Erich
Old 03-19-2004, 09:09 AM
tresamore
Photoshop Bully
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If its the same color that is used on the cup wheels I'm in.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:43 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Wurth is the OEM paint on most porsche and european wheels. However i am not certain. Post a topic and see what others think.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this, im kind of surprised actually.

I'll give this thread another day or two to develop, and if not it looks like it will be a very small order.

Later!
Erich
Old 03-19-2004, 10:20 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Originally posted by ErichCS
Hey Skip - I have heard no more than two cans, some have said in previous posts they only needed one. So i guess it depends, maybe someone else who has refinished their wheels can add some input...
I just refinished my PD (just the face, not the entire wheel) and went through two 12oz cans of paint, a large can of primer and a large can of clearcoat -- but I was applying paint fairly liberally and a novice painter (a better man might have used less). BTW, this wasn't Wurth paint -- I went with white PDs -- but I'm sure the usage would be similar.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:24 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Joe - Thats similar to what i've heard! Appreciate the info!

Later!
Erich
Old 03-19-2004, 10:53 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by seb928s
Hmm I would maybe be interested if you can check out the price for the black paint since I have fuchs and would let to refinish them in black.
Hey Seb928 - I just got off the phone with Wurth and they sell two different black lacquers. The price is the same between the two, one is a matte and the other is a gloss. There is no minimum purchase with this product....

The price is $15.43.

I also talked to them about shipping to various addresses and they are fine with that.

I would like to have things nailed down by next friday for me to place the order! Let me know what you think...

-Erich
Old 03-19-2004, 12:34 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Very timely - I have some repairs to make on my cup rims and want to paint a non-Porsche set that color. Would be in for 3 cans of primer, 4 of silver, and 2 of clear.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used two cans of color also and one primer, one-plus of clear.

But you really do not need to spend that money. You may not want to hear it but Rustoleum makes a paint that is perfect and costs 1/2 to 1/3 what you are proposing.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paragon sells it for not much more, if you're talking about the lacquer.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:57 PM
tresamore
Photoshop Bully
Rennlist Member

I'm out. My paint guy said he'd scan the wheel color and mix me some base/clear for them.

Quick Reply: Group Buy Interest: Wurth Paint Products