Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive battery cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:17 PM
weizen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive battery cable replacement

Hey all!

Just went to get a new battery at lunch as mine was getting pretty shoddy. When I tightened the new one down the positive clamp cracked! Where can I get a replacement, what gauge and how long does it need to be? Is this something I can pick up at any chain, Advance/O'reilly's/NAPA? I'd like to get this fixed tonight.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:26 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do a search under user name IceShark. You won't regret it.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:33 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes....definitely. I got the Iceshark kit recently (only installed that main positive so far) and it's such a cut above the rest that it's not funny. You can buy that one cable separate, I'd just get both positives if you can now and both those and the negatives if you can afford it (I did, but the rest will have to wait a bit longer to get put on). The whole thing is about $200, but wow...the quality and the workmanship are top notch.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:49 PM
weizen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've heard nothing but good things about iceshark's kits and would love to get them! I am currently doing quite a bit to the car right now though to get it back into a more respectable and reliable state.

In the last 2 weeks I've had some bodywork done, replaced master and slave clutch cylinders, replaced rear seal hatch seal and pins. I have a replacement passenger door handle on the way and have all parts needed to rebuild the control arms (used arms will hopefully be here later this week). I'd like to get it in to be painted in the next 2 weeks as well. I'm starting to run low on the monies I can throw at my car at the moment, unfortunately I'm not a wealthy man

Is there a replacement part I can use off the shelf?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:42 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you can go to auto-parts stores and pick up replacement terminal-clamps. Then chop off the old one and install the new one.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:52 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Walmart has them as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:46 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Yes, you should be able to get a replacement one pretty easy, find one that will let you crimp in the wire into the terminal. Make sure to crimp/screw down/whatever the terminal does well so it won't come out though. I'd probably also get a little package of heatshrink to put over that end to help cover it up....or maybe wrap it well with electrical tape, which wouldn't look quite as good....

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2004, 10:19 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Can you actually get heat-shrink tubing in that diameter from a "normal" auto-parts store? Maybe liquid tape could be used instead.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:40 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Clamp on battery terminal:
Old 03-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I feel your pain, Weizen, but the fact is that unless you get the IceShark wires, whatever you spend is going to money Pi$$ed away. Bite the bullet!
Skip any cosmetic considerations and do the job one time and do it right!
Fires are not uncommon with the aged, poor wiring on these cars, believe me, I was shocked when I saw the condition of my wiring once out of the car, and amzed at the quality of Dan's wire kits.

Sorry for the bombast, my friend, but it true.

Good luck with the project!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 03-17-2004, 11:58 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Try this guy for better than auto store cables. He makes them himself and sells positive 36" cable for $22. Not close to the quality of Iceshark but should keep you going for now.

battery cables
Old 03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

I have had pretty good luck finding larger heatshrink at Home Depot, Lowes and the like for home use where you might have larger wires. Check in their electrical section. Usually a very reasonable price as well.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:57 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

If you want to do this on the cheap and the battery clamp is your first problem, just get a new universal clamp, clean things up as much as possible, apply dielectric grease or vaseline and away you go! You are going to have to keep in mind all those little positives and how to hook them up to whatever clamp you buy.

But as was noted, our old cars' battery cables are pretty well shot by now from heat cycling and plain old age. And they weren't built to last in the first place. So if you broke the clamp I'd be a little worried about the insulation on the positives. Remember you also have one that runs from the starter to the alternator, it is a direct connection from the battery with one stop off at the starter, and that is the real problem child and why I fuse mine.

From being a Porsche 931/951 owner for over 20 years now and on Rennlist and other forums, there are two things that usually catch our cars on fire: fuel line fracture; shorting of the main positive cables. Beware and don't take it lightly. Just ask Perry951.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:57 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone got pics of the Ice Shark kit? I am guessing they wont work if the battery is in the back cubby! Anyone looked at getting new earth wires before? There are some kits out there... the stock ones look sh*t and probably dont earth well now.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

NZ, Yes there are pictures out there and I can search them out if you want but it probably won't do you much good since I never made a master for the right hand drive cars with battery in back.

The headlight packages work fine for you guys and I have a supplier for left hand drive lane Cibies since I've started to sell a few to guys in OZ.

But as far as rear battery I'd need a RHD car to work off of and I don't think there are many in North America.

Quick Reply: Positive battery cable replacement