Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to make early 944 keys, all

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004 | 09:50 AM
boomerang
Intermediate

Question Need to make early 944 keys, all

I read somewhere that an Audi or Volkswagon blank key could be used as a duplicate when you need to have a new key made for an early 944? Is this true?

Also, the previous only gave me one set of total Keys. So, I need a duplicate for the WHEEL LOCK, GAS CAP, CAR and I think the rear HATCH?

Can I go to a Volkwagen dealship and pay less per key, or should I pay the $10 per blank from the P dealer or Performance Products? Can I go to a lock smith?

Suggestions appreciated! Thanks
Old 03-16-2004 | 09:51 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

i got 2 for like 4 bucks on ebay
Old 03-16-2004 | 09:58 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

gas cap key is the key that unlocks the doors on my 84.
Old 03-16-2004 | 10:23 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

VW key blank is the same, from a Rabbit or similar. I had my spares made at a hardware store, I don't care that they don't look right, I only use them when I can't find the main keys.

When the car was new the doors, ignition, hatch and gas cap all opened with the same key. You might want to look into having the locks rekeyed if carrying extra keys is inconvenient.
Old 11-04-2004 | 12:44 AM
Chase72
Racer

Boomerang: I had the same problem with my Porsche--only came with 1 key, and it was pretty beat up. I bought two key blanks from Pelicanparts.com. One was an OEM key for $6.75, and the other was a P-Crest key with flashlight for $19. I went to a number of places: Home Depot just recently changed over to a computerized system, whereby they can only cut specific blanks from their store. They also tested my original key to make sure there wasn't a chip inside--I assured them that my generation 944 was before chips... To test their system, we found a house key (Size A) and successfully copied my original. Unfortunately, when we went to try the blanks I bought on-line, they didn't fit in the machine. They told me to go to a locksmith.

I found a guy in the mall who copied keys and brought my blanks. The problem here is that you have to be willing to use the nice blank you bought to "test' the machine and the locksmith's skills. It's a gamble, since some guys are good, and others are not--ask them what their success rate is with copying car keys.

For me, I tried out the OEM key first (since it was cheaper). It didn't work the first time--luckily the guy who was working went back to re-adjust the settings and after 3 tries, managed to get the cut to work. We then used that same key-copy position (on the machine) to cut the more expensive blank. It worked too.

Moral of the story: it's gonna be trial and error, but your local locksmith should be able to do it. Buy your blanks on-line (dealership will cost you an arm and a leg for some plastic and metal). Then go to the local locksmith who has one of the old fashioned "key copy" machines (not the computerized ones).

Good luck. C
Old 11-04-2004 | 01:00 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

The one people have trouble with is the alarm key; apparently they're a "NLA" (No Longer Available) part at the dealership, but I took it to my local locksmith and they were able to cut a perfectly working one from a blank for (I believe) an Audi (might've been VW though). Porsche blanks are easy to come by - on the early cars the "main" key goes to both doors, the hatch, the gas cap, and the ignition. There is a separate alarm key, another for the glove box (blanks ARE still available from Porsche for those, so I'm told), and finally one for the wheel locks (the little one).
Old 11-04-2004 | 01:22 AM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Walmart did mine, I just told him that it was for an audi. (worked for both 931 and 951).
Old 11-04-2004 | 03:05 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

All year 944s use the same key blank and they are the same as Audi VW. One key should work for both doors, ignition, hatch, and gas cap unless someone replaced it without rekeying alike. You can get one made for $2.50 at any hardware store.
Old 11-04-2004 | 03:21 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Ace hardware cuts keys for free...as long as you bring your own blanks. They cut my porsche lighted key...good job too.

Quick Reply: Need to make early 944 keys, all