Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner qusetion - 1990 S2 CAB

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:05 PM
944REDCAB
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner qusetion - 1990 S2 CAB

Hello all,

I have been a silent viewer of this board for some time and have recently become a 944 S2 cab owner. I came across the car at a police auction. It is in great shape.

I used to own a 924 as a high school and university student and could not pass up the opp to get this rare cab for a great cost. I am aware and am ready to change all the belts, pulleys and chain. The car has 74K on it.

The car itself came with no paper work. Not even a owners manual. This leads to my problem. I am not sure if there is some special procedure that need to take place for the top to move down. I can't get the top down and I have no way of reading about it because I have no manual. Also if the motor to the top is dead there may be some type of manual way to get the top down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:27 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off welcome to the list You picked a great car to buy, one of my favorites actually. On you question about the convertible top, i have taken the top done on my father in laws 968 cab a few times.

Heres what i remember(its been a while): There is a latch on either side underneath the sunvisor. once those are disengaged simply press the top button. Then button up the cover that goes on top of the convertible top that holds it down. I think that's the general procedure, someone else can correct me if im wrong

Enjoy the car!
-Erich
Old 03-09-2004, 08:46 PM
bigbass37
Instructor

Default Top Down

You should have 2 hand cranks(?) in your console that you insert into the 2 openings around your visors. You only have to turn these about a 1/4 of a turn before you feel them release. Then hit your button on the console to bring it down. Open your trunk so you can attach the 2 snaps for the cover and snap the others that you will see line up withe cover. In the event your top does not respond to the button on the console there is a way to manually put it up and down. However, I can't help you there as I have never had to.

Good luck with the car. I love mine and I wasn't even looking for a convertible.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, if you don't mind sharing, how good was the deal? i am interested in what you paid just because im interested in how good those police auctions are.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase- and Welcome to Rennlist!

You may want to visit www.p-caronline.com and set up a user page. free of course..
Old 03-09-2004, 09:49 PM
eshane
Instructor

Default getting top down

Hi,
This is my first post to help a fellow Renn-lister. I too, just bought a cab ,a 1990, but I was lucky enough to get all the manuals & records.

So....use the small, hand lug wrench(s) to undo the top closures. Then lift the top slightly. There are lots of micro switches & they all must be right to get the top motor to work. Hit the button on the console. Both the windows should go down & the top should lift & retract. Hint...put a folded towel across your rear window to keep it folding correctly & keep it from scratching/rubbing on itself while down.
If the motor doesn't work, don't give up. Remove the plugs on both side of the rear seat side panels. They are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and in the middle of the panels. Use a small flat blade screw driver & be careful not to scratch the vinyl. Inside there are two hex head bolts, one on each side. They are a standard big sparkplug socket size, about 13/16ths (don't know the millimeter size yet) I believe. Use a flashlight if you need to see them. Untighten them about 1 to 2 ful turns. Just loose, don't take them out! This will loosen the tension on the top frame. Then you can lower the toop manually. Be careful again & lower it slowly, making sure you down pinch the top or head liner. Once down, you can attach the boot cover & go topless. Putting the top up is the reverse. Remove boot. lift up top carefully and center the locating pins in the windshield frame. Re-lock the top with the lug wrenches. Repace the side panel plugs ( don't lose them). Put the towel away in the trunk for next time.
Nothing so great as blasting down the road in this great car with the top down!
BTW, Ebay has a 944 cab manual for sale often. Get one! They're not too much $$'s.
Have lots of fun!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow lucky guy!
Have fun with it, and post pics, we all love pics!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

Don't forget the key must be in the #1 position (not off, not start, not run.) It'd be a shame to manual-ise the top because the key was not in the right position.

-Joel
Old 03-09-2004, 10:08 PM
eshane
Instructor

Default post pictures

Be happy to....as soon as I can get my 9-year old to show me how to do it. I got the pictures, but haven't been able to figure out how to reduce them to small size for posting. I will soon though, ...when I'm not out driving!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's nice to see posts from new cabriolet owners here. Please tell us more about your cars -color scheme, features, etc., and don't forget to register them in the Rennlist Registry. Welcome!

Here's a tip: if you use the tonneau (top cover) and tuck the front flap behind the rear seats (lower them first) attaching the velcro to the matching strips beneath the rear tray, your plastic window won't develop that ugly horizontal line.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:06 PM
eshane
Instructor

Default my cab

Luis & All,
I bought the car on Ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

It's as clean as it looks. 3 lady owners, all records back to when it was delivered, plus the window sticker, radio code & all manuals. $11.5K, easy, smooth transaction. New tires, black with linen leather interior. Drove it home from Anderson, S.C. with no problems. Do have to do some top alignment work.
I put four new Infinity "Plus 1" 4X6 speakers in this weekend & now the sounds are really nice. Blaupunkt Reno 2 radio/cassette (stock).
I'm sooooo... happy with this car!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

So you're the lucky buyer.

I was seriously considering that car. If I didn't have 2 of them already and import duties to the Caribbean weren't 30%...

Glad it went to someone who appreciates it. It looked super clean for an eBay car. Congrats on a great purchase!
Old 03-10-2004, 01:01 PM
944REDCAB
4th Gear

Thank you all for the help. The problem was that I did not have the key in the right position. Thanks Jfrahm for the sugestion!!!

I am extremely happy with this car so far. I too was looking at the car that eshane picked up but it was only available to the US. Being a canadian these cars are even harder to get and even more rare. The more I examine this car (spent 3 hours with it in the garage last night) the more I find (good). I found a receipt in the trunk under the carpet where the spare goes for the clutch performed @ 68K. It also has the name of the previous owner. I am going to do some searches here at my local registry to get more info on the car.

I will also post some pics when the car is all cleaned up. And also when it is a nice enought day to bring her out of the garage.

Thanks again for all your help!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:38 PM
eshane
Instructor

Default cabrio top seals

Hey guys,
I'm getting sticker shock pricing top gasket seals. Window seals - $235.00 (each!), top inner gaskets $105.00, window rails $70.00. Any suggestions for who has the lowest prices for OEM or Poarsche parts? I'm looking at AutomobileAtlanta right now. Anybody lower? Thanks
Old 03-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Congrats on the purchase. Some 968 cab owners simply use the top in manual, avoiding the problems if the motors don't work properly.

Automobile Atlanta? If you're new to these cars do a search for every vendor, you'll get lots of information.

Quick Reply: New owner qusetion - 1990 S2 CAB