Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Enthusiast fluff* Re-bonding with the 951.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 01:30 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default *Enthusiast fluff* Re-bonding with the 951.

So I moved about a year ago, and the 951 got stuck in the front of my 4 car detached garage. 2X2 parking setup. So it's a pain to tetris it out, as well as I live way out in the country now and 99% of the time if I leave the house it's for a reason and not just do take a drive. And so the 951 has sat. Last month I took on a big rearranging project with part of my goal to make it easier to get the 951 out, as she needed to stretch her legs. Found the battery dead, and couldn't even jump it the battery was so dead. Left it on the charger overnight and got it to start, drove her about 70 miles, got a trickle charger and a car cover, and parked her back in the garage. Yesterday I wanted to take her to look at an N/A a friend was looking at, found the battery so dead the dome light wouldn't even come on. Had an error on the trickle charger. Hooked up my big charger, and it wouldn't even try to charge it. Said it had 6v. I later found the trickle charger had somehow been changed to 6v, not sure if that finished off a 8 year old battery or not, but was interesting. Not matter what, this battery was fused and toast.

Anyway, tonight, went up to Walmart and got a new battery. FYI H6 https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...ze-H6/16782658 fits perfectly. What was in it, so I just got another. Got it home and fired up the 951. Decided was going to put her through her paces. But right off the bat broke the rear tires loose hitting boost in 1st, it's about 37 F out today, so I was a little leary of the tires. Kumo Ultra High performance Estca's. Not summer tires, but I'd never gotten the rears to break loose on dry pavement while already rolling before. So worry over the tires being cold put a damper on things. Then as I pull out on the highway, I end up putting her in overboost protection (cause cold?). First time I've ever hit OBP. Things are not looking good for this jaunt. Shut her down, get out of OBP, and continue on. Choose a back road close to my house that I've never been on to let her stretch her legs. I'm super nervous as I don't know the road and the cold tires have me a little on edge. But slowly I put her through her paces. Gaining confidence mile by mile. And I started to remember why I fell in love with these cars to begin with. The rolling hills and sweeping corners, all on a solid 55 mph two lane country blacktop is what the cars were made for. She's loving it, 4th she had all the power I needed with the boost, but I started getting froggy and using 3rd to really push her through the corners. She's loving it, I'm loving it, and smiles all around! She did perfect, didn't lose her footing once. God I love my sport seats!

From time to time I consider selling, just because she sits more than she should. But days like this I fall in love all over again, and know I could never sell her! These are such amazing beautiful cars. I've never had so much fun with my clothes on! Had a few missteps tho. Got behind someone who thought going 10 mph under the speed limit was the way to go. A few miles behind them and I was itching to get back to tearing up the road. Finally got a broken center line, dropped it to 3rd, and shot around them. As all us 951 owner know, that's like strapping onto a rocket, I was doing 80 before I was even past them, went to grab 4th..... and for the first time ever... grabbed 2nd instead.... OOPS!!!! Pucker factor. These things love the RPM's, but not THAT much RPM... Caught my stupid mistake instantly, and no harm no foul. Felt lucky I didn't lose the rear end, or a rod. But still, you can't beat that high boost passing feeling these cars give you. When your passing you really get to sense just how much those 220 horses under boost can really make these cars scoot! I'm overboosting a bit, so maybe 230? I've driven plenty of cars with more HP, but with these things gearing, and weight.... It's just like nothing else when the boost kicks in!

I finally made my way back to the freeway, and managed to put it into OBP again on the entrance ramp. I'm not happy about that, and I'm off to research where this new issue could be coming from. Normally I boost to just right a 2, and OBP doesn't kick in. I know i've been flirting with it the whole time, but not happy it's an issue now. But either way, I'm in love all over again!
Old 02-01-2020, 11:33 AM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Very nice! That was an enjoyable read with my Saturday morning coffee. Now to get out to the garage and install my wastegate, exhaust, intake manifold, throttle body, air box....maybe I’ll just have another cup and read your post again. Anyway, enjoy your car and good luck with the troubleshooting.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:01 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the read. I miss my 951 so much more after reading that. I parked it to catch up with some deferred work - mostly a suspension overhaul - and it revealed bunch more work to be done that I am slowly dealing with.. I think I'll hit the garage after work!
Old 02-02-2020, 11:06 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I once had the Over-Boost protection come on over and over on a drive... stopped to fill gas... never happened again. I figure bad gas maybe triggered knock sensors.. who knows. Thought I'd mention it as you said it's been sitting for a while.. not sure if you filled up any fresh fuel
Old 02-03-2020, 01:04 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds great! Your story underlines how just a single drive in a 944 can spark those good feelings.
Do you know if your tires are old or not? You can check the age of the tires by looking at the sidewall if you haven't noticed. Old tires slip and it happens suddenly.
These cars are the best.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:23 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I once had the Over-Boost protection come on over and over on a drive... stopped to fill gas... never happened again. I figure bad gas maybe triggered knock sensors.. who knows. Thought I'd mention it as you said it's been sitting for a while.. not sure if you filled up any fresh fuel
New fuel, I ran it out once I got it started last month, then filled it back up with fresh gas. Good call tho!

Originally Posted by bonus12
Sounds great! Your story underlines how just a single drive in a 944 can spark those good feelings.
Do you know if your tires are old or not? You can check the age of the tires by looking at the sidewall if you haven't noticed. Old tires slip and it happens suddenly.
These cars are the best.
I guess they are about 5 years old now. I suppose it's about time to replace. Hmmmmm.... Pilot Sports... here I come? My wallet already hurts just thinking about it....

Old 02-04-2020, 08:02 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
I guess they are about 5 years old now. I suppose it's about time to replace. Hmmmmm.... Pilot Sports... here I come? My wallet already hurts just thinking about it....
Always fun driving these (or really any sports car) after you've been out of the seat for a long time.

I'm not a fan of Michelin so I'm going to recommend you search for some Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires. They can be a little hard to find but I absolutely love them on my 951. My G8 had the Potenza RE080 on it and they were not nearly as good as the Continental Extreme Sports that are on it now. The 760s are even better.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:59 AM
slinger569
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams

I finally made my way back to the freeway, and managed to put it into OBP again on the entrance ramp. I'm not happy about that, and I'm off to research where this new issue could be coming from. Normally I boost to just right a 2, and OBP doesn't kick in. I know i've been flirting with it the whole time, but not happy it's an issue now. But either way, I'm in love all over again!

You had another post the other day about this issue. Have you tried either pulling the LBE off or dialing it back yet?

Quick Reply: *Enthusiast fluff* Re-bonding with the 951.