Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a few words before I go...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm new here (a few months). I love porsches, and have since i knew what a car was. I'm dedicated to theme nough that most of my cars in my future, WILL be porsches, as long as i have the money to provide for them. As i am 17 now, thats a lot of cars. I have a passion for them. I look at the list 5 times at least a day, and read almost every thread..
But am I the only one who finds it a bit saddening that this much word bashing and hatred and disgust with each other, is all over a line of sports cars? I'm sorry, but perhaps porsche's are a hobby, or perhaps they are your job, and carreer, and what you have done your entire life. I still don't think its enough to warrant a drama like this.

I don't mean to start a fight, or have people on the list look negatively upon me. I love porsches as much as any of you, in a mature, realistic way. and I will defend that I do. I'm just stating what i see about all this. The help of people on this list is so important to me, that I probably would've sold my first 944 (the one i have now) the day after i bought it, and dealt with the 1000 dollar loss i probably would have taken. So in that respect, I'm sorry to see you go, i've used some of your useful information myself.
But sure, there is subwoofer topics, and racing cam topics and such. And you knwo what? i read them all. Perhaps porsche mailing lists aren't what they were in the past, but neither is the world. Audio is important to people, and they want to integrate it in their cars. whether its rap or classical music, it makes no difference.

Sorry for ranting. I know i'm young, and probably will be flamed for mentioning the word immature to an elder, but i am going to do it. Your title, looked like you were yes, leaving, but were going to leave with a simple advice, not a slash against all the dedicated people on this list, or even a few of them. I think it was immature of you to insult anyone on this list, because a porsche mailing list, is for anythingi you need help wiht on your porsche, or information about porsche, or things you can do to them or wish to. I don't see many things that aren't related to this in some way. Maybe they aren't your cup of tea, but they are helpful to others, which is why there are replys to them. I'm sure you will lose future customers because of your comments, and that is your own fault. I do not hold contempt against anyone here, including you, but i don't feel this was a very mature way to handle the situation.

I wish you well in your future endeavours... Good luck john.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:59 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

You know I wasn't going to post in this. But I've been mulling it over this evening.

No, I'd probably never buy anything from you, aint got that kind of cash. But you know what, I've read the stories. And I do buy from vendors here, notably Parragon, and soon to be Apex. Why, because they know what customer service is, and when there is a problem they fix it.

But I compare to what I've seen from them, and what I've heard of you.

Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:06 AM
starr944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents:

I have no idea what really happened in respect to the "bashing" that John may have recieved. But what I can tell you is, in the time that I've been here, I've found this to be a really great forum. I've joined others in the past, and this is the best one I've had the pleasure of of joining - hands down.

One thing we have to remember; this is sort of like a brotherhood - or a big collection of friends with a love for a certain automobile. I've never been dissed on a parts deal or had someone flame me here, so maybe I don't know the real deal. But, from what I've seen thus far, this is a GREAT FORUM - I'd say the best 944 post without a doubt.

That sucks if you have to go. I think you should lighten up a hair and remember that this is supposed to be fun. I've never been opposed to seeing naked pictures of anyone's girlfriend - but that's just me! And if another guy stops here and only dreams of someday having a 944, what's so wrong with that - you shouldn't belittle the dreamers.

Cutting on people who can't afford an exhaust tip is pretty bogue though - Yeah, that wasn't cool. Not all of us have the money or the resources to be what you may consider a true Porsche enthusiast - but nonetheless love the car.

Chill man. It's all good!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have sympathized with John had he made an honest effort to rectify the problems he shipped to Dave. It's obvious he has no intention of doing so. If I may borrow Sid's tag line - Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out....
Old 02-28-2004, 12:13 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation In a perfect world...

I do not know what to say. I wish we all could work together, and get things accomplished in a good way, and make everyone's problems with their cars go away.

But I can't. I may not get along with everyone here, we have our differences, but I look at each day as a new one. And yes, I forget who's insulted me, etc.

From a customer care point of view, there's always a solution, a compromise, if both parties are willing. but both parties MUST work at it!

I only wish the best for everyone in the future.

- Julie
Old 02-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

I used my collective three brain cells when I bought my 944, and when I spent a couple of thousand dollars at paragon. they never let me down!

I used my collective three brain cells when I suggested my brother sell his relatively new BMW to his ex wife and buy an 18 year old 944.

I used the same brain cells when i decided to put over 5k into the motor of my S2 last summer instead of selling the car and buying a cavalier. I asked around and fortunately the PCA guys i asked all told me three of the same names, and fortunately used SM motorsports to do my work. Unlike Dave, who lives less than 50 miles from me, and was doing similar work at the same time, everything Sonny said to me was done, done properly and ready when it was promised.

i was luckier than dave. I got my financial reaming in one shot from geico. Dave could have parted out his 944 and added less money than what he sunk into his money pit and bought Damians mint 968.

We are all working class schmucks trying to get the most out of our cars and our hobby while either paying for school (either our own or our kids) mortgage etc. John, you are included in that group as well. You and I are just working class schmucks trying to make ends meet. the difference is the minute I found out my car needed more than oil cooler seals I took it off the market because i couldnt take someone elses money without disclosing the problems, and it seemed financially better at the time to rebuild the motor "while i was at it".

i will give you the benefit of the doubt. you probably did what you think was your best to satisfy dave. Dave wouldn't talk bad about you while negotiations were going on. And I pressed him to talk, he wouldn't, insisting on giving you the benefit of the doubt. In fact, i dont think he spoke bad about you yet. I negotiated with geico, and even though owning my 944 cost a lot more than i expected it to, i was made pretty close to whole. Dave on the other hand; well, whose fault is it that he had to pay storage, twice for labor, and the list goes on. Who is responsible for the added costs? why is dave left holding the bag because of your mistakes. Am i wrong to assume they were your mistakes? what did Dave do to contibute to the damage?

What have you done to make Dave whole? Sure you saved people money, people on the board that were not, and would not be your customers. Unfourtunatly you dropped the ball when it came to a paying customer.

Not having you on the board will be a loss to the kids that will never pay you for anything. On the other hand, it may give you time to work on your business, quality control etc. I don't see complaints on the camaro forum about sam strano. he races has a shop and gives advice. I asked a question, he posted an answer, i thanked him for the info by purchasing the parts from him. everything was delivered as promised when promised. He runs a tight ship. what is he doing right that you aren't? Good luck.

Last edited by Tom R.; 02-28-2004 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Sorry to see you go John. Why don't you come back to the email lists. There are still a couple of us old timers left on it from back in the day. There a lot slower than they used to be but still fun. It is amazing to thing how much things have changed from when you, Lindsey, Dereck, Tim were major contributors of the email lists. While the outdoing one another flame wars got a bit old between you guys, the quality of advice on those lists was unparalleled.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:04 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 474 Posts

Sorry to see you go, from the threads that i remeber you participating in you allways were a big help...Good luck with whatever the future holds in store for you...but dont a be a stranger for too long...-chris
Old 02-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Geo
Race Director

Wow.

So many things said. So many things to say.

Like Matt, I'll say that this sort of exit message is a bad one. Nothing like burning bridges. I understand some of your frustration John. I have a fledgling business producing parts for a niche market. I'm working on a 5 year plan to get my fat *** out of the rat race. I truly appreciate the difference between running a business out of your garage and trying to make a real living at it.

I respect your obligation to make payroll and pay your vendors. But I still think you burned your bridges. But, that is your choice to make.

The Internet is a curious thing. It can build a business and it can kill it even faster. In my business we are more concerned about growing too quickly than not growing enough for this very reason (admittedly we are still doing this part-time). I think to lash out at a group such as this is just wrong. Would you really have thought you could make a go of your business without this seemingly ready customer list? Personally, I think this is what killed Huntley. Danno, if you're listening, I have a lot of respect for you.... take a lesson from Derek and John (not implying that you haven't, but it's always best to learn from the mistakes of others).

In my business (as I've said many times) Paragon is the model for my business. They don't troll for business and are always there with technical help. They are probably the best business I've found on a car list. I've met Jason and feel like I've met Skip and I'd toss either one the keys to any of my cars and not worry. If only I could say that of all on-line automotive vendors.

Anyway, I can't cry tears here. Don't use Rennlist (or any automotive list) to build your business and then complain when those on the list hold you to a reasonable standard. I don't know the ins and outs of the various issues brought up recently, but I do consider the bridges burned, and John, that is definitely your fault.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:38 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom R and Geo said it best.

Sorry I'm one of those who has never had dealings with John A and therefore I'm not entitled to put in my 2 cents. (well at least according to John)

John, I betcha anything that if you keep posting here and you get a good rep - you will definately get good business because of it. ADVERTISING is expensive man. here is it free. all you have to do is put customer service above everything else. So what if a bunch of free loaders use your advice and never give you business, you're still the better person!

Man oh man I've learned a lot about life (not to mention 944's) just by reading these forums!
Old 02-28-2004, 01:44 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But- BY THE WAY:

This is an enthusiasts community forum. IF you are answering questions or helping out fellow p-car owners, you should be doing it out of the goodness of your heart or because you share the same obsession.

As a 944-related business owner, you should NOT expect people to give you $$ business just because you give them free advice on the boards. If you feel let down that there are so many cheapos and free loaders on here, that is due to your own expectations.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:03 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
Danno, if you're listening, I have a lot of respect for you.... take a lesson from Derek and John (not implying that you haven't, but it's always best to learn from the mistakes of others).
Not to get too far OT, but just a few months ago Danno went through a period where some of his customers were left wanting, and it turned out Danno was going through a personal crisis. My understanding is the customers ultimately were made whole and happy, and Danno survived. I've bought from Danno, and I've referred others to him since.

Since I doubt John will read this, I don't really have anything to say to him.

This is a diverse community, and the main 944 board here does get kind of social at times. I've never had an issue with that. The best technical advise has always been on the model-specific forum. It's like this is the living room, and we can go into the kitchen if we want to compare specific topics. But we're still one big 944 family.

I'm never happy to see anyone leave, but there's nobody stopping you if you decide to do so.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:07 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

People talk about the "good ol days"... I was there, and my recollection of them mostly center around the MASSIVE flame wars were always taking place which derailed the content and nature of the 'list. I am sure John D remembers that as well. I also remember who some of the folks were that always seemed to wind up in the middle of them.

Jason Burkett and Ian Riley never got involved in those flame wars, and it seems to me that both of those gentleman (and I mean gentelman in the truest sense of the word when I talk about Jason and Ian) have businesses that are flourishing. Gee, a coincidence? Nope, just good business.

As for the knowledge base of the web forums today vs the expertise on the email lists of yore... while I admit that I miss the days when the likes of Don Istook would respond to questions online, I again remember WHY Don and some of the other TRUE experts no longer participate... its because of the FLAME WARS that we had to endure. You have the nerve to talk about all the free advice you've given out and bad mouth the folks that participate here today?? The disagreements that take place today are extremely mild compared to the "good ol days" and the damage that you guys caused by your "based on business" flame wars. I like the temperment of the web forums today better than the ego stroking and temper tantrums of yesterday.

I, for one, am happy to see a new generation of enthusiasts join our ranks. Yes, there is a learning curve we get to endure when we get to answer the same questions yet again, but this same group of new enthusiasts are bring fresh ideas and new approaches to our cars, and a lot of that translates into better products and faster cars. You complain about tail lights?? Gee, since when did polishing aluminum and stainless steel make a Porsche faster? Isn't that how you got your start?

I was going to stay out of this, and I probably should have... but your comments struck me as arrogant, mean spirited and just plain wrong. I was there during the "good ol days". Trust me, things are a lot better now.

Regards,
Old 02-28-2004, 02:14 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

*sigh*

All the more reason to keep mine stock I guess. . .

I'm sorry, but if you want to be paid for / compensated like an automotive engineer, go be an automotive engineer - don't make a few HIGHLY specialized aftermarket modifications for a VERY limited prospective customer base and expect the millions to just come flowing in!

I'm sure my opinion will be dismissed by many because I'm totally new here. I'm not even a member and don't know yet if I'm going to join or not, but (semi-outsider perspective) this whole thing seems awfully childish. I'm sorry to be blunt, but I think someone has to address the 900-pound elephant in the room and say it: "for Chrissake man - GROW UP!!!" Just my $0.02 - okay for people to disagree, which I'm sure they will. I even invite it - disagreement is what keeps life interesting. I'm not looking to start a flame war, but just voice an opinion and I welcome those that are different. . .

Look, I don't mean to trivialize what you do or have done - I'm sure you've made some great and well-engineered things and it's got to be frustrating as hell to pour so much of yourself into something, perform all the work and use all of your experience in order to make something and have (seemingly) nobody care. I know this feeling well. But the harsh reality is that "it ain't any better anyplace else". That's life.

I work as an architect and bust my *** day in and day out putting in VERY long hours and dealing with all kinds of ridiculous issues in order to (hopefully) create spaces that are aesthetically beautiful, functional, safe, comply with all kinds of codes, deal with all the bureaucratic hell associated with the planning / building / construction process and meet the needs of my clients but (frustratingly) more often than not they either don't give a damn or don't even notice the details and effort that I labor over so passionately. 90% of the time the conversations are about "why are your fees so expensive" or "how come you only show 4.27 parking spaces per 1000 square feet instead of 4.28" or similar idiotic, dismissable pap. So look, I feel for you - I really do. But it isn't going to change. Do what you love and what you're good at, do it BECAUSE you love it and BECAUSE you're good at it, and let that be your primary reward. The other things have a way of falling into place. It might not be money falling from the sky in large heavy sacks, but it will be enough and what's even better is the knowledge that YOU EARNED IT! Even if it's not what you expected or hoped for - you have something tangible that you can point to and say "I made that" and have some HONEST money (even a little) to show for it. Even if some people milk you or take advantage of you along the way, is that knowledge not worth ANYTHING?!?!?!

I'd take an honest $1,000 that I know I earned over a dishonest $1,000,000 any day. No bull.

Now relax, take a few deep breaths, and think of all the GOOD times you've had with this interest of yours / ours. Lighten up.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:19 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

John,

Sorry to see things not turn out well for you here.

Like I said in the other thread, congrats on your write-up in Excellence the other month on the 968. I hope this generated positive feedback and interest in your business.

I also hope that things turn out OK with your situation with Jonas. Based on the little I know as an outsider, it seems that you are in the right in that situation.

One point not highlighted here is that a vendor who simply resells parts has an easier job than someone selling complete engines. Lots of things can go wrong.

I don't know if there was a way that could be worked out with Dave. I read somewhere that most 944's in the US were delivered to California. Perhaps your engine business could be focused on cars you can do the engine install/removal in your own shop. At least it seems like the Pioneer Centres here isn't interested in the older cars, and Black Forest has more business than they can handle.

My money is tied up with other things now. But I hope that when the time comes for me to put major $$$ into the Porsche, there more vendors than Performance Products and the P-car Dealership to work with.

Well, best of luck with everything.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Just a few words before I go...