Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so I get this Emal from a place I've bought from...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004 | 07:08 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Ok, so I get this Emal from a place I've bought from...

I have ordered from this company before with no major problems. I have heard others say that they have had problems. I'm not getting into the debate and I'm not listing their name. It's kinda funny tho. Here it is....

Every day we are asked the same question about 944 modifications. You can perform most modification listed below, without expensive professional help.

Here is our take on this problem

We assume your engine is in proper working condition, it has no major problems and is regularly maintained.

We also assume your oil pressure is from 3.5-5 when driving and not less than 3 when idling. Anything less than these numbers indicates crankshaft barring wear.

What would make your 944 run faster?

Change all fuel injectors to NEW and not rebuilt.
Change the Oxygen sensor to a NEW one
Change the fuel pressure regulator and fuel dampner. If your engine oil smells like fuel, it is further proof of malfunction.
Make sure your fuel filter is new
Buy a high performance ignition coil and plug wires (do not install funky looking plugs. OEM works the best) Beru silver "Silverstone" plugs are the best choice.
Change gear lube oil in your manual transmission to SWEPCO high grade racing blue oil
Change your paper filter box to an open K&N system with header’s heat shield installed
Install a Throttle response wheel to your throttle body
Install a new injector boot as well as new rubber hoses running to the manifold. Old rubber is usually hard and brittle. Microscopic cracks leaking air will lean out your mixture creating "underload" reducing engine’s pick up power.
Remove the AirFlow meter. Holding it in your hands, move your ear to the plastic top . While listening, move inner vain door by pressing inward. If you hear faint scraping or squeaking noise, replace the unit. Yours is no longer sending correct information to your DME unit. The inner potentiometer has been scraped away.
Hard to start, rough idle? Examine or replace your reference sensors. There are magnetic pegs on the flywheel passing by the ref. sen., sending piston position to the DME unit. When magnetic conduction is weak, the ref. censor sends no data to the DME. In turn, DME will refuse to send the signal to the coil, thus resulting in “no start”. In most cases the system fault is the result of the pollution. Small metal particles from the clutch and the flywheel are culprit, accumulating around the magnetic pegs reducing the signal. Consider changing these sensors and cleaning the side of the flywheel.

Above changes will significantly improve your engine performance. Without these changes you cannot continue with further modifications. All listed parts must be replaced. Do not assume they are ok. If they are original, they must go.

Further modifications

Replace Air Flow meter with a straight through system. (without the inner door) This modification will disqualify you from PCA racing events.
For 944 NA install MSDS 3" header which must be pained with ceramic coating. (A MUST)
Combine above headers with Fabspeed’s 3" exhaust (NO CAT)
Install Weltmister or Authority performance chip in to your DME unit.
It is advisable to perform proposed changes before the "chip" is installed. The chip can be customized to reflect installed improvements such as less restrictive exhaust and mass air intake.
944T Consider Authority’s double chip system for great HP improvement. NOTE: an electronic BOOST CONTROLLER will significantly reduce the life of your engine. You just have to except your "turbo lag". Unlike 911 T engines, the 944 4-cyl engine is too small for "aggressive boost" in most cases.
Install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and larger fuel injectors (55 Lb per hr.) and increase pressure from 30 to 50 PSI.
Consider increasing your speed by reducing the vehicle’s weight. Replace rear hatch glass with a similar "Lexan" lightweight hatch. Replace your metal side fenders and hood with fiberglass ones.
Extreme modification would be considered installing a NITROS kit in to 944na. In fact it works very well. However, the down side, it will become "street illegal" in many States, unless you are good enough to hide your hardware. Also, 10 LB bottle is enough for 3 minutes of boost. An increase of 170 HP. We think it is enough. However, the NITROUS could be set up to work in a TUBO mode by increasing gradually with RPM. Small bursts of energy for quick passing on the open road can keep your bottle filed for a month.
.As far as a SUPER CHARGER, we believe selling your 944 na and adding $4000 for a would be a "supercharger" will buy you a nice original 944 TURBO.

Most of the above modifications are reasonably priced and available on our web site, including NITROUS kit, K&N air intake systems and many more custom accessories Currently we offer 10% off Weltmister Performance Chips.
Old 02-27-2004 | 07:11 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

WOW, I only read the first half before I posted. The last half is the best!

Dammit, my motor is too small for more boost and I'll Significantly reduce my engine's life if I install an electronic boost controller. I guess I should have bought a 911, lol.
Old 02-27-2004 | 07:26 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Ok, so I get this Emal from a place I've bought from...

Originally posted by nine-44
NOTE: an electronic BOOST CONTROLLER will significantly reduce the life of your engine. You just have to except your "turbo lag". Unlike 911 T engines, the 944 4-cyl engine is too small for "aggressive boost" in most cases.
OK, I'll bite...How does using an EBC "significantly" reduce engine life?
Old 02-27-2004 | 07:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Mike you have been paged on the turbo board.

Andy - we all deserve to know who sent that.
Old 02-27-2004 | 07:51 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Did you email them about something to initiate this? Or was this email totally out of the blue? I found it pretty entertaining....

Erich
Old 02-27-2004 | 10:04 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

dont try to supercharge, just buy a turbo.....

you should be like us....conformists.
Old 02-27-2004 | 10:38 PM
Aleks951
Instructor

Heh, heh...I was reading that on posted on their site a few days ago. I haven't purchased anything from them but I wonder if they just blasted that info out to all of their customers to try and spur a little business.
Old 02-27-2004 | 11:27 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

So who is it? What's the big secret?
Old 02-28-2004 | 12:12 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, not to try to slander them, 9Xauto.com. I did have a good experience with them so I'm not trying to trash them. I ordered them about a year and a half ago, maybe more than that, no contact since. About as "out of the blue" as they get. I wouldn't order from them again, too many rumors and my call to them. LOL, I called to make sure they got my order... A guy with an accent(kinda middle-eastern sounding) answers and just says hello. I asked if this was 9X, he said yeah and paused. I figured he'd ask if he could help me or something. Nope, I initiated the rest of the conversation. It sounded like I woke him up too, about 2:00PM in NY when I called. Good buisiness, bad manners. I got my order and was happy in a timely fasion.
Old 02-28-2004 | 11:05 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

That is also posted up on their website in the 944 section. Ive visited a few times, but ive never really been inclined to order. With all this tuner talk lately, i will say SFR is great and if you are looking for something, check them out! Great stuff, great shipping, great customer relations.
Old 02-28-2004 | 11:17 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I have to put in a good word for Performance Developments as well. They did a great job getting my part here in time and even with covering how to install it and what not to do with it. Very helpful. Talk to Neil and it might take him a minute to get back to you.

His accent is pretty think (I think it is South African) so he can be hard to understand if you dont have a good ear for that.
Old 02-28-2004 | 12:29 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe I'll check out 9xauto.com next time I'm in NY, it isn't too far away.

As far as who I'm satisfied with, the guys at PowerHaus have been an absolute pleasure to deal with, they've pretty much bent over backwards to make sure I'm satisfied and have no problems with thier products. Danno and myswiss have been great as well.
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:40 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dangit - I wanted to take credit for that one... wonder if I could use it?

Quick Reply: Ok, so I get this Emal from a place I've bought from...