Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder head needed quick!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 08:24 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cylinder head needed quick!

I implore you Rennlisters, can anyone help? I have a tick in my valvetrain that I suspect to be a bent valve and need a replacement to make it to RadWood Boston in just over two weeks! Not enough time to get the head worked and back on.

If you have an 8V NA cylinder head that is ready to go please get in touch. I am in upstate NY.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:19 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

paging @Chris White and @Van ….a NY guy needs a fresh 8-valve head...got one handy?
Old 09-26-2019, 11:38 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry man, if I had a spare I'd send her up to you. Just saw this on CL, not terribly far away from you, maybe a decent option if no one else close has one? Good luck buddy.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
paging @Chris White and @Van ….a NY guy needs a fresh 8-valve head...got one handy?
I have some used ones. Should be rebuilt before using!
Many 16v if you want one!! and a freshly rebuilt 2.7 head.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a few used heads kicking around. All are "status unknown".
What you should do first is a leakdown test and then a compression to verify you have a bent valve. Usually valves only bend one way... broken timing belt. If you just have a ticking noise, it might only be a lifter.

Do those tests, then send me a PM with the results.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I have a few used heads kicking around. All are "status unknown".
What you should do first is a leakdown test and then a compression to verify you have a bent valve. Usually valves only bend one way... broken timing belt. If you just have a ticking noise, it might only be a lifter.

Do those tests, then send me a PM with the results.
as usual Van is right, 'sticky' lifters is very common. Bent valves are not usually just a noise, they usually bend in pairs at least and result in a very badly running engine if at all.

BTW - has this engine been sitting for a while? It can take a heat cycle or two to get the lifters back in to shape.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:52 PM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris White
as usual Van is right, 'sticky' lifters is very common. Bent valves are not usually just a noise, they usually bend in pairs at least and result in a very badly running engine if at all.

BTW - has this engine been sitting for a while? It can take a heat cycle or two to get the lifters back in to shape.
That's where I'm very confused! I suspected lifters, so I moved the ones from cylinder 1 over (which had no previous noise) to the offending cylinder 4 and the noise did not change.

The engine runs good and feels fine despite the incessant ticking. compression test revealed cylinders 1-3 at 155psi and cylinder 4 at 135psi. I would expect a bent valve would be worse than that, and like you mention, on 1 and 4? No broken timing belts but I did have it jump a tooth once after tensioning too loose.

I'm too nervous to run the engine for long periods of time, I plan on measuring the height of the valve stems to compare to the other cylinders. Any other advice is more than welcome!

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

FWIW many years ago I about went nuts trying to find a lifter noise in my Crane cam equipped 396 Chevrolet. Much to my chagrin it turned out I had blown header gasket which made a very metallic ticking sound. It had my gear head buddies thinking a bad lifter too. YMMV
Old 09-27-2019, 08:10 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhowell371
FWIW many years ago I about went nuts trying to find a lifter noise in my Crane cam equipped 396 Chevrolet. Much to my chagrin it turned out I had blown header gasket which made a very metallic ticking sound. It had my gear head buddies thinking a bad lifter too. YMMV
Good thought, I was hoping for an exhaust leak because that's what it sounds like in the car, but replaced all of the exhaust gaskets and found no evidence of leaks. Had the car running on a lift last week and everything was tight.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:05 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

The other source of ticking could come from the clutch/pressure plate assembly.

Use a screw driver with your ear or better a engine stethoscope to determine the source of the ticking noise.
Check each cylinder, balance shaft, etc

Quick Reply: Cylinder head needed quick!