Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternatives for starter bushing tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 12:11 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 154 Posts
Default alternatives for starter bushing tool

I have removed the starter on my 968, but don't have the P239 bushing removal tool. Are there any alternatives to get the old bushing out? Also, how far in does the new bushing get driven? ***update*** got bushing out with socket and extension to drive it out after getting plate off the front side. New issue is how to line up new bushing to drive it in?

Last edited by DSMblue; 09-21-2019 at 02:42 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 539 Posts

Sorry to be so ignorant about this, but is the starter system so massively different between the 968 and the 944 S2? I had to remove the starter a couple of times when I replaced the rear main seal and I don't remember anything like this. I assumed that the engine mostly carried over in design between the two cars.

I can't help with your problem, I'm just genuinely curious about the differences in the engines. I thought that the big differences were in the engine head and air intake geometry.

Good luck, no matter what.

Cheers
Old 09-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

The 968 6-speed starter is different due to the dual-mass flywheel and deeper bellhousing.

https://www.porsche968uk.co.uk/techn...t-problems.htm

I have not replaced this bushing but I'd just soak it in oil, freeze it, and tappy-tap-tap it in with a wooden or plastic dowel. If need be add a little chamfer on the housing with a handheld drill bit or deburring tool (I think this is already done for you). Tap it flush. The wooden tool in the article looks sensible but I'd probably not bother making that. Taking the bushing out of the freezer and blasting it with liquid propane should make it amenable.

Heat and cold as appropriate when installing bearings and bushings makes things way way easier.
-Joel.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:55 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
The 968 6-speed starter is different due to the dual-mass flywheel and deeper bellhousing.

https://www.porsche968uk.co.uk/techn...t-problems.htm

I have not replaced this bushing but I'd just soak it in oil, freeze it, and tappy-tap-tap it in with a wooden or plastic dowel. If need be add a little chamfer on the housing with a handheld drill bit or deburring tool (I think this is already done for you). Tap it flush. The wooden tool in the article looks sensible but I'd probably not bother making that. Taking the bushing out of the freezer and blasting it with liquid propane should make it amenable.

Heat and cold as appropriate when installing bearings and bushings makes things way way easier.
-Joel.
Joel,

thanks for the tip on freezing. The big issue (which I hope freezing solves) is being able to get it started in the bore. Once it's started, it's no problem getting it tapped in.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 539 Posts

Thanks for the education on the flywheel difference. I had never read about the flywheel differences between the models. Now if I only understood the practical difference between a standard and dual mass flywheel... (I don't mean this as a way to highjack the thread, honestly.)

Back on point, how cold do people typically go? Regular freezer temps, or get some dry ice and really go to town? Or is that overly cold and you start to worry about things being too brittle?
Old 09-22-2019, 02:03 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

I am trying the regular freezer. Will let everyone know how it goes as soon as I get time available.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Default Installed and operational!

Got the bushing in by using a couple of drops of super glue on the end of a socket and stuck the bushing to it. Got it started in the bore and worked well. Lots of clean up on wire clamps and everything went back together fine. Squealed a bit on initial start up, but I will attribute that to the rebuilt starter seating with the new bushing. Subsequent starts were quiet and uneventful.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM
zoo
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Side question, where did you get the bushing itself?
Old 09-23-2019, 12:49 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zoo
Side question, where did you get the bushing itself?
Bushing came with the rebuilt starter. The bushing is also available from Porsche, part number is 999.531.017.10, cost is $6.64 from Sunset.
The following users liked this post:
zoo (09-23-2019)

Quick Reply: alternatives for starter bushing tool