Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: another motorcycle question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:29 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: another motorcycle question

I have noticed a lot of valuable information on here pertaining to motorcycles, I am looking for something to learn on, It will only be used basically for weekends cause during the week i have to transport my son. I recently found a 1990 ninja 250, that ran till the guy took the carbs off for some unknown reason and never put it back together, so i'm probably getting it cheap. What i need to know is this a ok bike to learn on? I was told by someone who used to ride a lot that it will still come up on me pretty easy. oh and any reliability info would help also

Thanks for any info.

MArk
Old 02-23-2004, 01:33 AM
savannah944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I learned to ride I took a three day beginner course that I feel was extremely necessary. I learned and drove a 1975 Honda CB500T. I'm sure the 250 is a decently light bike. The main advice I can give, after being in a major accident that I'm lucky to of walked away from, is not to ride at night. Also, don't take anything for granted...ride like everyone on the road is blind and can't see you.

Have fun, motorcycles are a lot of fun!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know much about the reliability of that specific year / make / model, but in general the Japanese sport bikes tend to be very reliable - especially when they're well-cared for. A 250 will be a good first bike that won't get you into too much trouble. Good that it's older too because you'll have a chance to learn a few things mechanical too and won't be heartbroken if you end up dropping it in the learning process. I think you'd have a blast on it until you get your confidence / experience up to the point where you're ready for that bigger bike.

Only advice with any used bike / older bike is pay a LOT of attention to details in your maintenance checks - little things can make a big difference. Take the time to do a fairly thorough inspection of tire condition, chain condition, brakes, overall frame bolt tightness, suspension feel & play, clutch action, etc. (the stuff that could hurt you if it failed going down the road at 70).

Remember, rubber side down & happy riding!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:37 AM
marky522
Drifting

Thanks for the quick responses, the bike has new tires and chain with less than 100 miles. I will take the saftey course for the ins discount, i am only 20 and this is a toy for me so the wife says i have to pay for ins out of my side play money... I agree about acting like everyone else is blind, most people cant see me in a car much less a bike...

Thanks for the help,

MArk
Old 02-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

100% true. If you think drivers are idiots now - just wait. You'll know it with an absolute certainty. Just ride like you're invisible (you are) and keep your head and keep your cool. You'll love it!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:57 AM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why does everyone suggest starting on a small bike? I'm looking to get my first this year but I'll be getting a 929RR or 954RR. What is the general school of thought on starting small and working up?

TIA
Old 02-23-2004, 02:13 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Well, if you want to start big - go ahead, there's nothing that says you can't / shouldn't. I just know from experience that 99% of the dumb stuff you're going to do and mistakes are going to happen in your first year riding; probably 75% in the first 3 months. Smaller bikes are a lot more forgiving (generally) than large ones and they are sure easier to pick up and don't hurt as much when they land on you (partially kidding).
Old 02-23-2004, 02:34 AM
handscreate
Intermediate

To start off . . .
The EX250 is a great starter bike. Out of curiosity, how tall are you? and how much do you weigh? Both of these should be considered. If you are over 5'10" or a heavier person (180+), you might want to consider an EX500. You will not "grow out" of the bike as fast. Either one is a great starter bike, as are bikes like Suzuki GSF400 + 600, GSX 600 (not to be confused with GSXR), Honda CB250, VT/VLX 600, Yamaha Virago 535, YZF 600 (not to be confused with YZF-R6 or FZR). Ask the previous owner about the history. Has it been down? Can you see any frame damage, does it steer straight? Tires, chain and oil should be in good shape, with oil changes every 2000 miles or so. If you have any questions about riding, or the bike, or inspecting the bike, etc, please feel free to PM me, or email me and I will be more than happy to answer them.

And to answer the question about the smaller bike to start with . . .
You have more control on a smaller bike than you do a larger one. There is less power, enabling you to gain the confidence to learn to use the power than the bike has. On a 929/954 etc, as a new rider you will never get the full use out of that motorcycle. Bigger bikes are also heavier, and I guarantee that you WILL drop it, or crash it, and that extra weight now has to be picked up from the ground. Keep that in mind. On a smaller displacement bike, you have to ability to gain the working/riding knowledge that will make you a better rider. Also, that bigger bike, while it may look cool, and seem cool to all of your friends, is very impractical on the street, especially if it's your first bike. You will spend most of your time in 1st and 2nd, limiting your shifting skills. And if you do get into the higher gears, you are easy exceeding the legal speed limits, and as a new rider not only endangering yourself but others around you since you won't have the skills needed to execute proper maneuvers if needed.

I am sorry to go about this subject, but having worked in the motorcycle industry for about 5 years now, I can't help but try to talk people out of buying large displacement motorcycles for their first rides. With all that power, most people are really tempted to use it, and thats what causes accidents and deaths, and raises my insurance, and that of bikers like myself that have never been in an accident that wasn't caused by someone hitting us. (Also it gives bikers a bad name).

I made boat loads of money off of people who didn't take my advice, selling them all the parts and labor needed to put their new shinny 1L bikes back together after they crashed them with about 400 miles (or less) on the clock.

I used to own a motorcycle shop, and now work for a dealer, and I can't even tell you how many wrecked bikes I have seen in my day. And most of them were people who wanted to look cool on a bigger big, or their buddies had bigger bikes and they had to be able to "hang" with them.
In fact two weeks ago a guy bought a brand new Aprillia Mille R (high end sport bike, race replica approx. $16,000). Leaving the dealership two doors down from me, ripped open the throttle, got freaked out when he saw a car starting to pull out of a drive way, grabbed the throttle, opening it even more, and hit the rear end of a pick-up truck at what the police were estimating was approx. 70mph. He was in 2nd gear. End result . . . his brand new motorcycle was totaled, he lost 2 fingers, broke his femur (that really thick bone in your leg) in 2 places, broke his wrist, his jaw, and a few ribs. I think he did more damage to himself, but I can't remember.

He opted not have full coverage insurance, just minimum liability which here in Cali. is 15/30/15. Not even enough to cover the ambulance ride and emergency room.

And that is just one of the hundreds of accidents I have witnessed in my years in this industry.

If you have any further questions, or want to talk more in depth about anything motorcycles (or car related), please feel free to PM me or to email me.

shameless plug, if anyone here needs parts for their bikes I would be more than happy to hook-up rennlisters on OEM and aftermarket parts, accessories, apparel, tires, etc.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The ex250 is a great bike to learn on. I taught my roommates to ride on that bike about 13 years ago and when he got better, he bought a cbr600f2. The 250 handles very well and in the hands of someone who knows how to ride, can spank most any bike of any size ridden by a beginner. I completely agree with handscreate in his last post. Throughout the 15 years of going to the auctions, I have bought and parted out many bikes from people who died on them. Most of them were beginners on bikes that were way too fast for them to handle. My brother is a surgeon and they consider motorcycle riders great donors for organs because most riders who die in an accident were young and in shape. Buy the ex250 if its really cheap unless you know how to work with carburators since they are not too expensive in good condition and labor is expensive if you have to pay. Good luck and be careful.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:57 AM
marky522
Drifting

WOW!!! That is a lot of information... Thanks guys. I totally understand starting out on a small bike, If i have the power there i would more than likely use it. This fourum is great... But its a safe assumption well see at least one more response... I plan on working on it myself just like i do everything,. i'm hoping worst case cenario i have to find used carbs, Keeep the wealth of info coming...

Mark
Old 02-23-2004, 08:59 AM
marky522
Drifting

Oh yeah, about insureance, what should i expect to pay on that bike I want to try and find a limited mileage plan, its not gonna see a lot of miles... i am 20 married w/a son and only 1 ticekt on my record of 6 over.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Bike insurance is nothing - I'd figure a couple hundred bucks for the year & full coverage, probably under $100 for basic liability.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Oh, and AVOID the major insurance companies - they're a rip-off (in my experience). Go with a company that specializes in insurance for bikes, watercraft, etc. The policy for full coverage on my '99 750 Katana is about $350 (that's in SoCal, so it's way more expensive than I'm sure you'd pay) with such a company. With some of the major companies and identical policy ended up being quoted to me as over $2,500 annually.

Insurance companies are in the business of ripping people off blind - don't get taken.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:16 PM
kinda5150
Racer

you will outgrow that 250 pretty quickly. you will get used to the bike pretty quick so i would go with something a bit bigger like the ex500 or even an older katana 600. that was my first bike and it is very forgiving. trust me, don't spend a lot because you will drop it, lay it down, or take it off road. insurance may be much higher than you think, i'd check before buying. of course the smaller the bike, the less the insurance. i def couldn't see buying a friggin 929rr for a first bike, that's just insane. i am a seasoned rider and i wouldn't even ride that thing. if you've never ridden a bike with that kind of power......then certainly don't buy one. you don't know the meaning of fast til you get a sport bike that was basically designed to race.....o-60 in 2 seconds is hauling ***. it is an addictive sort of speed!!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Under 750CC is small bike and the insurance is cheap. If you cant find liability only for less than 200 bucks a year something is wrong or you live in a place with a load of bike theft, full coverage is likely more than the cost of the bike in a years time.

The Katana 600, FZR 600, and the like are good learners bikes (I still find my FZR a fun ride, even if it is not the fastest), it might be a good idea to get a bike without full fairings so that when you drop it it doesnt cost you that much (fairings can be very expensive). The EX250 is a fun little bike and you might find that in a year you need bigger (I wouldnt take too many highway trips on it they are not that fast).

Some good info though, ride like everyone around you doesnt see you even if you are sure they do (most of them dont), be especially careful in parking lots and at stop lights/signs, wear white at night and lots of reflective material is a good idea, buy a good leather jacket, etc.

Brian McCoy is in Alaska right now, when he gets back you might ask him about protective wear. He knows alot about bikes as well.

Lastly, buying a 900+CC bike as your first bike is asking for trouble. The first time is lifts the front wheel and you dont let it down straight you will know why. It is like buying a 996 GT3R when you dont even have your drivers license. You will not get the full potential from the bike and might not even enjoy it. FWIW - the larger bikes tend not to handle as well as the smaller ones and they feel bigger (any rider knows what I mean). I remember the GSX-R750 smokin' the larger liter bikes on the race track, it just handled that much better and didnt give up much in the way of max HP.

Quick Reply: OT: another motorcycle question