Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: another motorcycle question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is a 96 with 14K and upgrades. I am going to ask 2200 seems to be about right.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:10 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey for 2K that seems like a good deal...Would either of you have your bike in ~2-3 months? They are good starter bikes ,right? Shipping expensive?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will probably still have mine, but if I move I will make every effort to sell it prior to moving.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're as good as any other fully faired bike.... They were the 'supersport' 600 till the YZF 600 (just like the YZF was the high end till the R6). Fairings are expensive no matter what bike you choose when it gets dropped. :\ For some reason I don't like the FZR600s (I can't nail the reason... must have been one or two I rode that were really crappy. Strictly personal)

And sipping through Forward Air is about $300.. the cheapest I know of, but it has to go from major airprort to major airport (they provide the crate, you need to supply the tie-downs)
Old 02-28-2004, 12:32 AM
Aleks951
Instructor

I've been riding since '89 (couldn't afford a 951 back then) and I've been through many bikes since I started. All of my bikes have been sportbikes except for a V-Max I had once. Even though the R6 is a "newer" bike, I have heard from many people that the FZR600 is a more fun bike to ride. It is nimble, light, and more than enough power for beginners and experienced riders.

I've had Kawis, Hondas, Suzukis and Yamahas and I've had best luck with my Yamahas. As long as you have a mature throttle hand to keep you out of trouble you should be fine with the power.

However, since I was in an accident last year (oil on road) and I just had 4 screws removed from my leg & ankle today, I'll be spending more time with my Porsche and probably less on my Yamaha. When the weather gets better...who knows, but my FZ1 doesn't have turbo-boost!

Best of luck and enjoy how inexpensive it is to go fast on a bike!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brian should get paid for the advice he gives
Old 02-28-2004, 09:11 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I was wondering where brian was, I knew there was a lot of good advice on this board... I'll jsut have to wait for the next deal to come along... This time i'll have cash in hand... that'll help

thanks
Mark
Old 02-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heh.. I was deep in the bush of Alaska for a week... Looking at a job for my fiance (how cool is it that my fiance wants to move to the middle of nowhere so she can do some hunting, fishing, camping and general outdoors living! ~ I'll trade a P-car for that.). Anyway, here are some links to all the previous MC conversations we've had on here where some great info has been given. I really ought to go through everything and write up a general FAQ type page for the newbie type riders:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=motorcycle

These were just the 3 I dug up in a quick search that I felt had more good info that worked for everyone than specific info for whoever started the original thread. Oh, and the bike you were looking at was bought by an aquaintence of mine that lives down here in GA. It'll be his 3rd EX250 (not sure what happened to the first one, but he's been parting out the 2nd one.. I have a LOT of hard bits from that bike on mine now). If you want to give me a zip code in your area, I'll do some looking and point out some bikes I feel might be good to start on that are somewhat local.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:42 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Tell your buddy i said thanks, he broke my heart, the guy was gonna end it early till the last person bid... oh well, my zip is 48074 and there is a bike down your way that i thought you might be interested cause its gonna go cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEBWA%3AIT

I would have been interested but it was too far away.

Mark
Old 02-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW, the bike is still available but email him quickly. The guy I know went up and looked at the bike and decided not to buy it. It needs work (here's his quote about the bike):

I drove all the way to friggin' Michiganonly to find a few more problems than I expected. It's not a bad buy, but I wasn't expecting so much work. The gas tank is rusted inside terribly. The carbs have all things out of whack, and the cooling system is bone dry and slightly leaky. It's rusted pretty badly on the exhaust and other bits, but it could all be cleaned; just not by me.

Leon, or any of you other fellas that wanted the bike,feel free. I told the seller how interested you guys were. You may receive email from him. Also, he's throwing in chain lube and cleaner and what not. He's nice guy, I just didn't want to end up spending $400 more dollars when I could just buy a running bike for the same price. This bike was purchased with the intent of teaching my best mate, Zach, to ride.

We'll see, but the bike is still up for grabs.

So jump on this if you want. The tank can be cleaned, carbs readjusted (I'll gladly walk you through that), and coolant system fixed. It sounds about like the condition that my bike was in when I got it. I'll be out no more than $200 for repairs (and that's including $120 for new tires) and some of my time. Just wanted ot let you know!

Quick Reply: OT: another motorcycle question