Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cone air filter installation Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004 | 08:19 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Default Cone air filter installation Qs

two questions. (not being rude, but dont get into whether the cone is worth it or not, im just doing it ot see how it works myself, thanks)

first of all, if you put this filter in, you remove the airfilter box, i assume. I did this and installed the adapter and put the filter on.. But what do you do with this tube that was to the air box? just leave it hanging?

and also, what has anyone done to mount this filter. because without the airbox, it seems to just rest on top of the alternator and that isnt safe with the pulley and such right there. what has anyone else done to mount it so it suspends over that spot..

thanks for the help in advance
Old 02-21-2004 | 09:20 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

You might need a breather filter. Its like a mini air filter that latches on to that unit. I wonder if there are any pictures floating around...i cant recall a 944 with one...i can go grab a pic of my GTI though. Thats what i have on it.
Old 02-21-2004 | 09:30 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

if you could that woudl be great, thanks.. anyone else have any ideas? what exactly does that air hose go to anyway? looks like it goes tot the timing belt cover,,, cooling?
Old 02-21-2004 | 09:35 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

anyone have pictures of it in their 944
Old 02-21-2004 | 09:40 PM
Geo
Race Director

It's just a vent that recycles oily gases into the intake stream for emissions purposes.
Old 02-21-2004 | 09:41 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

The air hose goes to the top of the timing belt cover and can be eliminated. Porsche did so in later years anyway and there is a part number for the cap that replaces the hose.

I fabricated a bracket to hold my cone filter adaptor (MSDS) out of aluminum bar stock. I think it probably cost about $5.00 in parts to fab this bracket, which connects to the original mounting position for the stock airbox and runs under the adaptor and then mounts to the intake plenum when the oil dipstick tube mounts. i don't have any pictures handy but can take some Monday night for you. 9XAuto sell something like it for about $65.00
Old 02-21-2004 | 09:44 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ok, then i guess its not a for a breather. Ive seen that set up in a few cars. ( i cant still post the pic if you want, let me know)

What does that hose do then being attatched to the belt cover???
Old 02-21-2004 | 09:47 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not really sure what the point of it was. Maybe flow air into the belt cover to cool the timing belt? Suck air out of the timing belt cover to do something or other?
Old 02-21-2004 | 11:52 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I have read a few things saying that the vent is for ventalation to the timing cover. Also have read that its to help remove condensation from the cover. Like Manning said, Porsche deleted the hose on the later cars, you can remove it and i believe plug the hole in the timing cover. You will have to make a bracket to hold up the AFM and filter off the alternator, if you let it sit you could cause damage to the AFM with all that vibration. And also like Manning said, you can easily fabricate a bracket to just hold everything up, i made one out of a peice of 1 inch by 7 inch metal (very thin, but sturdy enough to hold it up). I drilled two holes into it so it would mount at the same spot as the original airbox bracket (the one that goes up over the headlight bar).

9XAuto makes a nice bracket and filter adapter, but its pretty expensive at $200 without shipping. The nice thing about it is the fact it has a bracket, and a nozzle on the end of the adapter for that hose.
Old 02-22-2004 | 03:12 AM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I made a simple bracket out of strip of steel bar stock. Aluminum would be better and lighter, but it was at hand. It's got a 90 deg twist. so it bolts into the two holes on the back of the AFM , and then the base of the engine hoist point. I used a star point washer to keep the bottom from tilting forward, and I've got a metal heat shield that wraps around the cone filter between it and the engine.
Old 02-22-2004 | 09:57 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Why do you want one of those stupid things on your car anyway? All it's going to do is suck in hot oily air rather than cool air! Rice mod, imho.
Old 02-22-2004 | 10:17 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

(not being rude, but dont get into whether the cone is worth it or not, im just doing it ot see how it works myself, thanks)

BB.
Old 02-22-2004 | 10:41 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I know, I know - I just couldn't ignore the obvious question. . .
Old 02-22-2004 | 11:17 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

well how about this for a reason. (even though it obviously wasnt my original) when i opened the airbox to take it apart.. there was no air filter in it.. great huh?

btw, how much damage do you think this could have done? does teh AFM filter anything to keep it from the engine? ugh
Old 02-22-2004 | 11:25 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by yieldsign2
btw, how much damage do you think this could have done? does teh AFM filter anything to keep it from the engine? ugh
Not really, there is the "barn door" in the throttle body that controls the flow of air, but other than that its a straight shot into the engine! When you found the filter missing why didnt you just throw in a factory style?

Good Luck!
Erich

Quick Reply: Cone air filter installation Qs