Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my blue 1994 968 cabrio (rough)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Selling my blue 1994 968 cabrio (rough)

Hi all,
I'm hoping to get some insights on how to proceed with my selling my 1994 968 6-speed manual. Selling is pretty complicated unless I just sell it for cheap to a parter-outer but I do not want to do that (depending on the definition of "cheap").
I think it'd be a viable inexpensive driver for someone, that's why I am posting here and not in the 968 forum. When I bought it I liked the color so much I thought I'd one day go through it and make a decent 50-footer driver out of it. My black 968 is far from perfect and I do not mind that at all. However I think I'll just stick with the black car and I am unlikely to ever find the time to get the blue 1994 up to acceptable.

It's a 1994 with the upgraded connecting rods from the factory, and was the mule for the development of 928 Motorsports supercharger kit. I just sold the supercharger and shipped it to Australia and it'll go back to stock, with some scars from the kit having been installed. The car had a salvage title in the past but does not have one now, that change is from before I bought the car in late 2009. It's got 114K miles on it. Lots of minor/medium paint issues, not very nice interior, some panel gaps and very shoddy LF impact repair under the ill-fitting LF fender. Top is decent. Runs good. I believe it's Iris Blue Metallic, L39N/L39U data sticker in the trunk is missing. Last four digits of the VIN are 0561

Options:
1 - I'd sell it as-is for [redacted old 2019 price] although I'm not sure that's realistic. $3500 would be a hard no. The motor is probably worth $3000.
Someone might want it to swap over the driveline or make an engine swap mule out of (something I considered) or as a running/driving project car long term.

2 - Do the timing belt, water pump, FoES, cam chain and variocam ramps. I have many of the parts for this and it probably needs it.
2a - Also spend a day improving panel fit, replace the broken interior parts, put covers on the seats, that sort of thing. Make it an acceptable driver for the enthusiast on a budget. $6500 at that point? Maybe not quite.

3 - Part it out myself, I do not really have time for this but a few major elements of the car could be sold to get close to that $5000 figure. This would not be something I could work on for at least a few months.

Pics below. In real life it looks worse than pictured. Reasonable advice and opinions welcome.
Thanks, -Joel.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 03-13-2021 at 10:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jfrahm:
mazdaverx7 (08-31-2019), tifosiman (09-12-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

checking with a friend if he might be interested in splitting this with me.

would you trust this car to drive 1200 miles under its own power?
Old 08-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Joel if it was a coupe I would be leaving my Longmont office right now to cut a check. There is an autox tomorrow at front range airport. I will put the word out. Give me a week with PCA and I think we can keep it local. Too bad we got rid of the S last year. That had the suspension and would have made a nice transplant.

Also, there is a guy who lives in Centennial off University Bl. Practically next door to St. Marys Academy. He has a plethora of 944s and a 968 or two. He advertises on craigslist occasionally. He doesnt chop the cars. He may be interested. Email him about one of the cars he has for sale. Usually says something like payments ok, pick up car when paid. Phil i think. Nice guy too. We looked at one a year or two ago and got the tour. Need fans? He has em.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

>would you trust this car to drive 1200 miles under its own power?

I'd trust it after checking the timing belt and cam chain, changing the oil and test-driving. It needs the fans installed and a few other things from the SC de-install addressed. If you want it we'll work something out.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom if someone wanted to make a track rat out of it I have a 951S suspension also (not installed on this car) other than one rear Koni shock. Try not to get anyone too excited, this is not a nice car. It's a nice color though. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

PM Sent
Old 08-30-2019, 03:21 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

If I didn't just get my coupe, I'd be driving out to pick this up. As it is, I've got too many in the driveway. If you or anyone else decides to part it out, put me in line for the torque tube.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Honestly it sounds like people are more excited about this car than I think is fair. Can I clear up any misconceptions?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:09 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

It looks like it has a lot of potential. I think people, to include myself, see the potential trial the car has. Is it perfect? No. But at that price point we wouldnt expect it to be. It's a great color and an amazing platform that does not deserve to be parted out. The car deserves to have some money put into it and enjoyed for many years to come. If it were a coupe I would make you an offer on the car. But I'm just not a convertible guy so much. It's a beautiful car and I would love to own it, especially at that price, but I would prefer a coupe. How's the interior?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:12 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been doing some research and think $5K is not a bad price for the car. I doubt it's a crazy good deal at that price, but maybe I underestimate the market and the added value of a desirable color. It'd be great if someone on this list was interested. Not so great if they had unrealistic expectations of what they were getting, flew out and were disappointed in person.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:05 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 729 Likes on 514 Posts

I'm with what you heard up above. I'm not a convertible guy but I hate to see these cars get parted out. There's just not too many 968s around and I think they're pretty special cars. I get why you want out of this one and if I had infinite money and garage space I'd take this off your hands in a heartbeat, regardless of the issues you've described. Hopefully someone is able to ask around to find a good home for this car.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the info and the PMs. I took some time to check out the belts and variocam system. Everything looks great! Well the old plugs are dirty but I expected that. New NGKs went in.
The timing belt is very lightly worn, still has printing visible on the back. It's not recent so some people would replace it due to age but I have not had a problem with age on belts made this century. The balance belt is likewise in great shape. It was off by a tooth but at least the sprockets were set up correctly. It was also too tight but I sorted that out.

The variocam ramps are deep brown but that is expected as they are porous and soak up oil. However the groove is shallow, less than 0.5mm. Cam chain measures no significant stretch, not a measurable amount compared to new. I happen to have a new chain in my parts pile.

I'll post some engine pics when I get them sorted out. People have asked for interior pics also, I will take some after some minor cleaning. The interior is pretty shabby.
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (09-06-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 03-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm getting back on this project, hopefully to sell in April or May. If someone wants me to skip the work I have planned before then maybe we can work out a deal. I can also pull the Cup IIs and sell the car with some random wheels.
Thinking I'll ask $8K in the spring, doing some research on pricing.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:39 PM
Ufnavy06
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I'm getting back on this project, hopefully to sell in April or May. If someone wants me to skip the work I have planned before then maybe we can work out a deal. I can also pull the Cup IIs and sell the car with some random wheels.
Thinking I'll ask $8K in the spring, doing some research on pricing.
What condition are the Cup IIs in?

Quick Reply: Selling my blue 1994 968 cabrio (rough)