Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody want to spend a day at the track??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:55 PM
AgingRacefully
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bryan--

i'm interested, I've done a number of events there with the cobra folks. Its a fun short track.

If you check into it I think they will tell you that they require that you hire an EMS crew; at least they do when the cobras run--might drive the price up enough to require more participants. Even with 20 or so there would be plenty of track time. Good luck on putting it together.

Rick
Old 02-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

AgingRacefully,

Actuall from what I have written down from talking with them in Nov., that price includes EMS. Now that is for a weekday. He said that rates might change some for 2004 but its $1000 a day during the week and $1600 for Fri, sat or Sun. EMS for 10 people is $450.

I'm going to try to call this week and get restrictions on drivers and cars and try to get concrete details so we can get this rolling.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:41 AM
vpk944
Intermediate

I would like to join in the fun as well. Also have a friend interested. Any day of the week would be fine with me (would have to be July or later -new family member coming first of June). IIRC, if you have corner workers you can put more cars on the track at once. Don't know if they have to be real corner workers or just drivers manning the stations.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to attend, I'll be graduating in May and have no clue where I will end up. So it's hard to say if I will be able to make it at this time. Plus 944 Fest and Parade will be right around then.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Bryan,
What are your plans for the track? Will this be a DE type event, or a time trial, or a race? (Note that most insurance companies will not cover an accident that occurs on a track during a race or timed event!) Do you have any track experience? Any experience organizing a track event? Are you aware of the logistics that need to be taken care of? Insurance/liability issues? Do you have a schedule of events while at the track time? (You want to maximize the amount of time on the track, given the great expense of the place!) Will the cars be teched? Will you have instructors to assist first time track drivers? Will there be classroom instruction to teach folks about 'the line?' Will the drivers be grouped by ability in different run groups? What if there is an accident? Who will pay for any damage to the track, should someone go off?

I'm not trying to sound like a nay-sayer, and I know your planning is only in it's beginnings, but these questions (and more) need to be answered before you proceed.

If you haven't done a DE event, I suggest you try one before you book the track. You will see that DE track events take a whole lot of planning in order for them to run efficiently.

Just my $0.42,
-Z-man.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by vpk944
IIRC, if you have corner workers you can put more cars on the track at once. Don't know if they have to be real corner workers or just drivers manning the stations.
Running a track event without corner workers would be insane! If you have none, you are really flying blind. Not a good thing to be doing at over 100 mph! How are you going to know to slow down around a corner when you don't have any indication that there's a spin?!?

Honestly, I think you guys should attend a DE event with your PCA region before you think about renting out a track. There are a lot of things you need to consider, and most DE's have all the bases covered.

Track events are NOT like a street driven get together or rally. It's serious stuff out there.
-Z.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

I just want to say some positive things about this track.

The SE-R Club of America held it's annual convention DE there on November 1 last year. We tend to go for smaller tracks because so many of our participants tend to be track newbies, so they can learn the track and start having some real fun that day instead of spending the day learning the track.

I thought this track was so simple it would be boring. Nicht so! It's deceptive. In fact, the second to last corner can be downright dangerous unless you have some real line discipline! It's really easy to get sucked into turning in early and with a lot of speed and running out of road. But if you get it right, the run down the front straight is a hoot. And the back straight is a hoot as well.

Anyway, this is a great track for a one day event. Easy enough for beginners to learn quickly and challenging enough for experienced drivers to have to pay attention. I'd definitely run there again. In a heartbeat.

As for the event, the folks who run it provided us with corner workers and and meat wagon. The gentleman who more or less supervised (we pretty much run our own DEs) was great to work with. He had a 914 and took me around for the first instructor session (I was sharing the race car with one of my business partners - another instructor).

The facility is not world class by any stretch, but for a small facility, essentially in someone's field next to their house, it very comfortable. I've been to much worse.

If you are close enough to this track, especially if you're a track newbie, I'd recommend it. It doesn't have the boutique appeal of a major name track, but it should be a much more relaxed day, and if organized right, a lot of people should learn a lot that day - probably more than they would on a larger track.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:12 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Z-man,

I agree with everything you say, but I think this would be a safe track for 10 guys to have plenty of track time in a day.

Short track, no blind corners only one straight for a fast car to hit 110mph. only concrete wall is on front straight and plenty of run off every where else.

Put 2-3 cars at a time on the track for 20 min, others man a corner and rotate.

Now if there is more than 10 cars then I think it would become a problem.

Would not be good for a first timer, they should do a PCA DE.

So, I think in small numbers it is doable. IMHO
Old 02-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Geo
Race Director

We ran 10 car sessions there. There was still plenty of room for all. Never felt crowded.

BTW, a turbo car should be able to hit 100+ on 3 straights. The back straight is the fastest. The one following is mighty fast as well if you get that corner right. Also, if you get the last two corners right, a turbo car should be able to hit 100 at the end of the front straight I think.

It would be an excellent track for a first timer if reasonably experienced instructors are provided.

BTW, the worst lackof runoff (and it's deceptive) is in the last two corners. As I said, that last right hander can suck you in and leave you with no track in a big hurry. I even had to reel in some experienced DEers in those corners. If you go off, it could get very bad very quickly there .
Old 02-25-2004, 11:07 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geo ,

Some speeds depend on which direction you run the track and the driver , sounds like you ran clockwise ?

Last edited by David Floyd; 02-25-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys.

Thats the kind of stuff that I was looking for. Z-man the answer to your questions are no. This would be my first track event. What I have in mind is a DE type event. I am hoping that a few of the people interested have a good bit of DE experience but I haven't got that far yet.

I'm going to limit this event to 9 other people for saftey and planning
issues.

If anyone has anyother pointers please let me know. I want this to be as smooth and as fun as possible. Thanks again
Old 03-01-2004, 02:09 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by David Floyd
Geo ,

Some speeds depend on which direction you run the track and the driver , sounds like you ran clockwise ?
Indeed we did.

Did I mention those last two corners can really suck you in and get you in BIG trouble?

It bears repeating - especially if there are no instructors.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

I'm bumping this again. I have many details that I will post later tonight.
I still need 3 more people that want to come.

You will need a helmet (none to rent), car in good working order (this means safe also. tech is up to us), and must be over 16.

People Interested

ME Yes
Jabbadeznuts Yes
Savannah944 Yes
ToxicSlick Yes
AgingRacefully Yes
vpk944 Yes
vpk944's friend Yes

Total Yes People 7

Last edited by Bryans951; 03-03-2004 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Geo
Race Director

If you like, I can inquire with the SE-R folks. Some folks who ran the track on Nov 1 may be interested in running it again.

Before you think the SE-R will be a moving chicane, given equal drivers the SE-R is a match (very very close match) for the NA 944.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:29 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

I be the Scooby guys would like to go.

http://www.nasioc.com

Quick Reply: Anybody want to spend a day at the track??