Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody want to spend a day at the track??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, if I were closer, I'd go back there to test or whatever.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Bryans951

and must be over 16.

well screw you to

Old 03-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Campeck
well screw you to

Must be over 16 for that as well.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:58 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
Must be over 16 for that as well.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Lot of screwing going on. I would like to go but I don't know my plans for the summer so I can't tell you if I can go.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

OK. I keep saying I'll put details up so here it goes.

First off this is the first time that I've tried to do anything like this so bare with me.

After talking to the track I've decided to limit this to 10 people (see above for reason). The cost to 10 people to do what the track calls a "tune and test" is going to be right at $145 per person. This is for a day during the week (Mon-Thurs). This is going to be for 2 or 3 cars on the track at a time. Normally there is enough room from one car to the next that no corner workers are used. If this is a problem with some of you we can work on that. This price includes EMS (optional) and liability insurance. This is also for one person per car. No instructors in the car on track. I'm not sure what the background is of the people that have already signed up. If we have some experienced people that have instructed before and they don't mind riding along and instructing then we can do that for another $40 per person. Every person will need a helmet and the track does NOT have any.

Now comes the tricky part. The track requires at least 30 days notice and a 50% deposit. This will require that I get a semi-nonrefundable deposit a month before hand. Or something like that. We can work that out later. I just don't want a bunch of people backing out and then I get stuck renting the track for the whole day by myself (if I could afford it how cool would that be?).

As for tech inspection, the track does not have anyone staffed to do it. So that means that it is up to me or us to make sure the cars are safe. I don't see that as being a problem.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and must be over 16.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Campeck
well screw you to

Well, being that you don't look female in your picture....no thanks. Plus your too young for me.

Sorry, back on to the topic. That is track rules not mine. Another kick in the *** is that no spectators are allowed and no one under 16 is allowed at all. The prices are for drivers. There is no limit for crew.

Oh, the date. I think that the end of July is a good time. This will not interfere with the Fest and the track is usually slow during this time of year so there should be no problem getting a day.

That it. Fire away.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Z-man
Race Director

...Normally there is enough room from one car to the next that no corner workers are used. If this is a problem with some of you we can work on that. . .
. . . No instructors in the car on track. . .
. . .As for tech inspection, the track does not have anyone staffed to do it. So that means that it is up to me or us to make sure the cars are safe. I don't see that as being a problem. . .
Just a couple of comments:
1. If there is more than 1 car on the track at a time, you'd better have some corner workers. If a car spins out in a corner, a car 'with enough room' will be upon that car before you know it! At 60mph, a car travels 88 feet per second! Look at it this way: at an autocross, where all corners are clearly visible, and there are only 2 to 3 cars on course at once driving a lot slower than at track speeds, there are flaggers working. Why? In the heat of the moment, a driver may not see a problem ahead, especially if said driver is new at performance driving! I for one, would NEVER drive on a track without corner workers: they are YOUR EYES on the track! With their radio communications, they can warn drivers well in advance of a problem.

2. First time drivers on the track WITHOUT ANY INSTRUCTION is a recipie for disaster! Instructors will be able to show students the proper line, braking points, techniques involved in driving on a racetrack. Wihtout such instruction, how does one tell if they are doing it right? How will a new driver know if he is going too fast for a corner? How will a new driver know what to do if the car goes out of control? Even as an 'intermediate level' driver, I would not go out on an unfamiliar track without an instructor.

3. Tech inspections for my PCA region involve a pre-event tech where all cars are put on a lift and checked thoroughly. Without putting a car on a lift, it is impossible ot tell what condition the suspension components are in! A sloppy (or non-exsistent) tech spells disaster on the track. You know what happens with your CV joint bolts unscrew? COMPLETE LOSS OF CONTROL! You'd be surprised how many cars we've teched that come through with finger loose CV joint bolts. Besides, do you even know what to check for in a car about ready to go on the track? I would NEVER put my car on a track without having it properly inspected first.

4. Don't forget the 'testosterone' or 'red mist' factor. Get a few guys out on the track, and they are likely to prove they are faster than anyone else. This happens at DE's, so it's even more likely to happen in a loosely organized event as you propose.

Bryan, I know that your proposed 'track day' seems like a dream come true. But don't let it become a nightmare. Before you truly commit to this, go and check out how your local PCA region runs a DE. Or better yet, as I stated, sign up for one! You will soon see that such an event isn't as simply as you think.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but I can't keep quiet about this. Your idea of a track day is NOT SAFE: you are cutting corners (no flaggers, no instruction), you don't have any track experience yourself, and there are many factors that you haven't considered simply because you don't know what you're getting into.

Please reconsider your plans. While your enthusiasm and dedication are commendable, it is better that you get some experience before you go out there on your own. Trust me, it is a better and more cost-effective approach.

Regards,
-Zoltan, NNJR PCA DE Track tech co-chair.

Quick Reply: Anybody want to spend a day at the track??