Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you drive 944 with the instrument panel removed???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:06 AM
MattSlay
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can you drive 944 with the instrument panel removed???

I have removed the instrument panel from my 944 so that I can replace the light bulbs on the back of all the gauges and dials. I figure this will take me a few days to get it completed and back in the dash, so I'm curious if I could still drive the car during that time? I mean, will it run properly and everything with the instrument panel removed? I know I won't be able to see the speed, RPM, and other indicators, but I'm wondering if it would prohibit the car from actually cranking and driving properly?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:13 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 273 Posts

Yes. Of course, you could always try it and see...
Old 07-16-2019, 09:14 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Yes, yes, no.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:10 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

Sure you can drive it. And when the cop stops you for speeding, and asks you how fast you were going, you can say "I don't know!" without being a wise guy.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that I said that I was done with Rennlist a while back due to obnoxiousness here on this forum. But I also would hate for the OP to be stranded with a dead battery from bad advice giving on Rennlist.
The alternator may not charge due to a lack of the exciter circuit with the instrument cluster removed from the car. You can however manually excite the alternator with a test light from battery positive to alternator D+ terminals if you need to drive it.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:54 PM
MattSlay
Instructor

@marc abrams - Thanks for taking the time to give this valuable info...
Old 07-18-2019, 02:47 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Your quite welcome Matt.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by marc abrams
I know that I said that I was done with Rennlist a while back due to obnoxiousness here on this forum. But I also would hate for the OP to be stranded with a dead battery from bad advice giving on Rennlist.
The alternator may not charge due to a lack of the exciter circuit with the instrument cluster removed from the car. You can however manually excite the alternator with a test light from battery positive to alternator D+ terminals if you need to drive it.
@marc abrams You may not be aware that the stock alternator on our cars has an internal voltage regulator that does a good job of self-exciting the alternator. It does fine without the exciter wire especially if it’s just for a few days like the op stated, I drove mine around for over a week without the instrument panel without issue. Saying that, the charge light does somewhat contribute to the regulation so I wouldn’t do it long term as you may damage the regulator. One other point, if you have the Nissan alternator, I have on my track car, it does need that exciter wire. I tried it without and it just wouldn’t regulate at all.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:31 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You don't mention the model year of your car but if it is equipped with ABS or AIRBAGS then do not operate or start the engine without the IP.

Both of these systems will set fault lights when you re-install the IP becuase they monitor the condition of the warning light(s) in the IP.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 AM
MattSlay
Instructor

It’s a 1990S2 with Air Bags.

rhis is good advise. I will be sure not to start the car then, because I do not want to deal with resetting the air bag warning light.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
You don't mention the model year of your car but if it is equipped with ABS or AIRBAGS then do not operate or start the engine without the IP.

Both of these systems will set fault lights when you re-install the IP becuase they monitor the condition of the warning light(s) in the IP.
Good point, I only tried it on MY86 cars so ymmv.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:10 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAGK944
@marc abrams You may not be aware that the stock alternator on our cars has an internal voltage regulator that does a good job of self-exciting the alternator. It does fine without the exciter wire especially if it’s just for a few days like the op stated, I drove mine around for over a week without the instrument panel without issue. Saying that, the charge light does somewhat contribute to the regulation so I wouldn’t do it long term as you may damage the regulator. One other point, if you have the Nissan alternator, I have on my track car, it does need that exciter wire. I tried it without and it just wouldn’t regulate at all.
Being stuck on the side of the road sucks. I really hated to post here but I do have a conscience if the OP got stuck and I knew something that could have prevented him from being stuck. Everything you just stated is incorrect. In my post I said "may not charge" and not "won't charge". Self exciting or the so called "one wire" alternators have been around for a long time in class 8 trucks and other heavy equipment. What makes a alternator self exciting? The internal voltage regulator. Around 1995-2000 voltage regulator manufacturers whether OEM or aftermarket, quietly made a change to the self exciting design. Infact the alternator you buy at your local Auto-Zone for your 1975 Impala is the same alternator you see in the Jegs catalogue as a "one wire alternator". So it can be hit or miss whether or not an alternator with self excite or not. How do I know all this, I worked in a auto electric shop part time rebuilding starters, alternators, and other stuff too along with my full time truck/heavy equipment mechanic job.
Once the alternator is putting out, you can remove the exciter circuit. It will not damage the alternator or voltage regulator or affect charging.
Some alternators require a separate 12 volt feed for voltage regulation. This is mostly on Ford's and GM alternators.
If you do a little research you will find that Porsche had TSB on the 928's not charging because of the charge light bulb.
And that's our science lesson for today kids.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:22 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by marc abrams
...Everything you just stated is incorrect....
Dude you need to chill, I was simply relating my experience and there is nothing “incorrect” about me stating that I drove around without an instrument panel in my 86 without any issues, it’s simply a fact, however ymmv.

Thanks for the lesson
Old 07-19-2019, 12:00 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

To MATTSLAY:

I would strongly suggest that you disconnect the battery before starting work (not for safety reasons, but airbag/ABS reset), and put a tag or note on the steering wheel not to start the car.

Very very cheap insurance!

BTDT!

Quick Reply: Can you drive 944 with the instrument panel removed???