Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Current Market Value

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 03:35 AM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Current Market Value

I have had my 86 951 advertised on Rennlist (5 days), Auto Trader (10 days) and it has been on Ebay for 2 days. I am asking $6900 on Rennlist/Trader and have a starting bid of $4,944 on Ebay. I know that it hasn't been advertised long but I have had one email (from Rennlist), Thats it. No calls from the Autotrader and no emails from Ebay. I have my VW Corrado on Ebay and have received 4 emails and one offer to end the auction early for $4000 (buy it now is $4900) and it has been on for less then a day.

I can understand the lack of response from Rennlist because 1. Not that many people are looking for cars. 2. I would say John Welshofer's 86 Turbo for sale in Texas with TONS of work recently done at $7900 is a better deal. But not one Email from Ebay?? When I sold my old 1984 944 in rough condition on Ebay I probably had 10 emails the first day. I sold the 84 for $1900. I sold my 1987 944 on Auto trader and probably had one call a day the first week. I was asking $4900 for that car and it was a N/A (1 year ago). I sold the 87 for $3500 and that car was probably a 4 out 10 for condition.

The only reason I put the car up for sale is after reading about everyone else's modified 951's on the list I am pumped up to do that. I don't think it makes sense to modify a 86 with 144k no LSD and no ABS. I want Tony G's 951 but I will probably won't have enough money for a year. Hey with the way my sale is going maybe he will have it in a year

Any Thoughts?

FYI-The Ebay item is 2460471373
Old 02-16-2004, 11:32 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

You should add more information about the car. List what it has been done and what will need to be done if applicable. I never make an 10 day auction for anything I just do the 5 days. I should my 1988 924S for 3980$ on ebay right before xmas. I did a lot of work on it. New pump,rebuilt head,belts,gaskets,seals. The car had everything interior almost perfect. The kid I bought it off but the car the year before for 5700$. A used car dealer bought my car and probably sell it around 5500$ on his lot. If I had the time I could have got around that amount. Also his Porsche tech went around the car and said nothing was needed. I did all the work on the car and some guy that has 20 years or so said it perfect nothing for them to fix. Can't wait until I get that job at Eibell Performance.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:35 PM
Douglas_T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the market isn't huge for this type car to begin with...Its a OLD car now...However use as many resources as you can if you motivated to sell...I like www.carbuyer.com Its free with several search options...
Include as much info as possible with as many pics as possible.
That being said I LOVE the 944 Turbo's.
Good luck/skill
Old 02-16-2004, 12:53 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't worry you will get plenty of offers for your car from the autotrader, so far I have had about six offers to buy my 87 turbo for twice what I am asking for it That scam is still very active through auto trader.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:03 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

I've been shopping for a turbo and saw yours listed. The color scheme isn't to my taste, so it wasn't up for consideration, but the pictures really are unhelpful. A dark colored car shot during a pretty heavy rain? The pictures could be hiding a multitude of sins.

Also, I'm not fond of the phrases "Probably just a fuse, likely just a relay/ground" in a description. When the seller says stuff like that (and you're far from the only person using such phrases) I wonder why he didn't fix it if it's really that simple. I also wonder that if a seller is not fixing the small easy stuff, is he looking after the harder, more expensive maintenance?

Along those same lines: any 944/951 auction should include, at a minimum, when the timing belts, balance shaft belts, and water pump were last changed and if there are any leaks or not (oil, power steering, water getting into the interior). You likely know the weaknesses the FAQs say to look out for; let the buyer know the status of these. Really, anything you've done in the past year is a good idea. It saves answering the same questions over and over, if nothing else.

On the up-side, the car is clean, something I'm amazed to see many people neglect. I've seen some beautifully polished turds sell on eBay for good money (usually from dealerships), while nice cars languish unsold because the seller couldn't be bothered with getting out the Dustbuster, a can of Turtlewax, and some towels.

Just my thoughts. I agree this car should garner more interest - it's original and includes lots of bits missing from most cars. I agree with seb928S that the auction should have been shorter - a 10-day auction lets people lose interests before it closes. I missed 2 cars recently because I'd bid on them and forgotten the auctions were running. I'd have kept a closer eye on them had they been 3 or 5 day auctions.

Emanuel
Old 02-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things:

1) Color combo is less than desirable and is surely holding down the price, it is not a coincidence that the factory made a whole bunch of red/black cars and very few of any other color.

2) The temperature issue probably has put some people off. I would eliminate the "it could be statement". If you dont know, then you dont know. If the only two problems with it are the sunroof and the temp issue then I would just fix them. I would bet that both will be cheap and would gain more than the price of fixing them.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by epbrown01

I agree with seb928S that the auction should have been shorter - a 10-day auction lets people lose interests before it closes. I missed 2 cars recently because I'd bid on them and forgotten the auctions were running.
Emanuel
I don't know. Many people don't check e-bay that often and you might miss them with a five day auction.

And I doubt many people will forget they've bid on a Porsche, just because the auction runs a few days longer. I know if I was doing it I'd be checking every day--at least!

I think you're the exception.

And JCB, put in shortcut link,. it makes it easier for people to check it out! Just right click on the address in the bar window.

As for probably just a fuse, that's like saying the AC just needs a recharge.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:30 PM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

All Valid points!!!

The Grounds- I would need to take it to a mechanic. The problem is I live in a small town with no Porsche Techs. Should I take it to a average mechanic? I don't think they could screw up anything on just the grounds.

If I keep the car (80% chance I will) I will order the light/ground kit from Ice Shark and do it right.

The interesting thing is NOT ONE call from Autotrader. Not even scammers.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:32 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Peckster
I don't know. Many people don't check e-bay that often and you might miss them with a five day auction.

And I doubt many people will forget they've bid on a Porsche, just because the auction runs a few days longer. I know if I was doing it I'd be checking every day--at least!

I think you're the exception.

And JCB, put in shortcut link,. it makes it easier for people to check it out! Just right click on the address in the bar window.

As for probably just a fuse, that's like saying the AC just needs a recharge.
Maybe I am - when I'm shopping, I'm looking at numerous sources (I've got 5 Autotrader tabs up in Mozilla as I right this) and when I see a potential on eBay I put in a lowball bid and don't worry about it unless I've met the reserve. I pay a bit more attention then

Oh yeah, the auction is here

Emanuel
Old 02-16-2004, 03:35 PM
RobbyK
Pro

Location: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

I dont think the color is the prob, its not that bad its not like it is brown on brown or gold on brown. I think also the area he is selling is holding him back, so close to the cali region where the car market is over stocked with 944's. I could see him easly selling that car in the 6900-7000 area if it was in the north west or closer to the east coast.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:13 PM
icat
Race Car

Default Re: 951 Current Market Value

Originally posted by jcb928
The only reason I put the car up for sale is after reading about everyone else's modified 951's on the list I am pumped up to do that. I don't think it makes sense to modify a 86 with 144k no LSD and no ABS. I want Tony G's 951 but I will probably won't have enough money for a year. Hey with the way my sale is going maybe he will have it in a year

Any Thoughts?
If you're going to mod it, then why pay the extra for the later 951's. ABS isn't a big factor - works great for drivers who don't know how or when to brake - adds weight for everyone else. As for LSD - you dragging or racing? J/K, but seriously - is the Limited Slip Differential that important that you'd toss a known evil (your current ride) for an unknown?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:48 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the others....there isn't anything wrong with the 86 for keeping and modding it. LSD, well, if you want it that bad you could purchase and install an LSD tranny and sell yours or buy and install an LSD. Consider the costs of your selling the car and taking less than what you've spent on it to get it where it is now. Then think about the costs of buying another car in good condition that will still likely need some work, plus you'll have to pay taxes on the purchase and other little fees, PPI fees, etc. You could probably pay for the LSD from those things alone. ABS is not something I'm overly worried about, even in the rain I haven't had a problem in fast stops.

I agree...you have a car with known quantities to you, that you know at this point and have put time and money and effort into it. If you do a lot of upgrading, the costs of buying an S would be wasted by replacing what made the S different from the stock version, ie the turbo primarily. Your 86 also has the forged connecting rods which are stronger. If you want to run later wheels, you can upgrade your suspension to late offset as I've done (although my PO had late offset wheels on the car and it was that or spacers and I needed a ball joint done anyway).

My opinion would be to stick with what you have if you really like it. I have gray over wine (that's the official name for our interior color...mine is the same color as yours) and although I would like to find me a Porsche later on in red or black in a 911 Turbo variety, I'm very happy with the color scheme I have on this car.

Just my $9.51
Old 02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I think the car itself is fine. If the moonroof is hosed, it could be a $5 fix or $300 if you need it completely redone with a new motor. Engine temp tends to scare ppl off. The thought of an overheating car in the middle of summer on the 405 conjurs up nightmares. Could be something simple like a thermostat. Then again maybe not. Ive always been of the opinion that when selling a car, unless its a gigantic fix like new pump, belt, or rebuilding a tranny, the other stuff probably needs fixed and you can recover it when you sell. If a 944 desparately needs a water pump and timing belt and they have been done, Im not convinced doing so yourself will reflect well in the selling price. You might get .70 cents on the dollar at best for that one. All the other "little stuff" though means a lot if you can get them taken care of. pumps and belts fall under routine maintenance on these babies anyway. Remotoring the moonroof falls under the column "thing things broke and shouldnt be".
Old 02-16-2004, 09:07 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

ABS is nothing I love the early 951 the 86 without abs but I have LSD which is great. Plus I have the fuchs and the 86's have the forged connecting rods. If you just plan on selling and buying another with those items I would just invest in the LSD transmission. Plus you already know this car what it has and what is wrong with it plus if you have spent a lot on the repairs I would just keep it. Good luck with what you decide to do.

Quick Reply: 951 Current Market Value