Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my 1983 944. . .and I have a couple questions (for now).

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM
kyletheviking
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my 1983 944. . .and I have a couple questions (for now).

How it currently sits, exactly like I bout it. I'm really excited about this, wanted a manual for a while, and had this pop up on my radar for a pretty decent price with around 110k miles.

It has the manual steering rack. One question I have about that is, I've never driven a manual rack before, it feels like it has more play that it should, or is that normal?

Second question. . .these are my climate control settings...how do I stop my feet from roasting?! I'm getting decent temp air out the normal mid vents, but the foot well and windshield vents are pretty warm! Thanks!

Old 06-13-2019, 07:36 AM
ktel
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your heater control valve to make sure it works as expected. Then have your climate controls checked since some centre console messing around is obvious. Also check that everything, including heat shields and rubber gaskets is fine in your firewall.
I notice little to no play in my manual rack, I guess there is something wrong with your tie rods and related stuff. And PLEASE remove these overfenders, they look out of place!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:26 PM
JackHB
Intermediate

Hey congratulations on the car! Looks like a solid body and good miles, I have to agree with ktel up there though, to each his own, I'm not a fan of the fender things either, Once you see a modded Datsun 240z you can't get it out of your head! The 944 was built with some killer fenders anyways, Check out the evolution of the 924 to the 944.

Here's an article that will help you know what each of the controls functions are. Also there is some context with troubleshooting any problems you may have with your Climate Control system.

Also at least one of the switches you are missing near the top of the shifters spot is the Sunroof switch, and the other one I forgot haha, I think it's a scrolling switch for something, maybe someone else can chime in on that or you may already know lol.

Welcome to the 944 Club
Old 06-13-2019, 02:50 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Other missing switch is likely to be for fader from front to rear speakers associated with factory stereo.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:07 PM
kyletheviking
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ktel
Check your heater control valve to make sure it works as expected. Then have your climate controls checked since some centre console messing around is obvious. Also check that everything, including heat shields and rubber gaskets is fine in your firewall.
I notice little to no play in my manual rack, I guess there is something wrong with your tie rods and related stuff. And PLEASE remove these overfenders, they look out of place!
Originally Posted by JackHB
Hey congratulations on the car! Looks like a solid body and good miles, I have to agree with ktel up there though, to each his own, I'm not a fan of the fender things either, Once you see a modded Datsun 240z you can't get it out of your head! The 944 was built with some killer fenders anyways, Check out the evolution of the 924 to the 944.

Here's an article that will help you know what each of the controls functions are. Also there is some context with troubleshooting any problems you may have with your Climate Control system.

Also at least one of the switches you are missing near the top of the shifters spot is the Sunroof switch, and the other one I forgot haha, I think it's a scrolling switch for something, maybe someone else can chime in on that or you may already know lol.

Welcome to the 944 Club

Thanks for the replies. I'm kinda partial to the over fenders, but you're right, to each their own. (I'm also long term planning an LS Swap with meatier tires, so there's that.)

I'll have to check out the HCV. It's a targa-style top, so it would have just been a switch plug probably.

Another question I have is, in front of the center compartment, right near the shifter, there are small switches (most of mine are just plugs), the first one is a switch, but I have absolutely no idea what it does, and the icon is worn off. Any ideas?

Old 06-13-2019, 11:32 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have a rear wiper ?
the switch may be for that.

The other switch could be for headlight washer squirters, but it does not appear you have those ( or you maybe have a different front bumper on the car. )

As for the front switches by the shifter, your car ( '82 - '83 built models ) had only a manual sunroof, so no need there for the electric lift switch for the roof. It appears you may have an '84 center console replacement.

Something is not right with your console as the top is black and the bottom is the correct brown if it is a brown interior car. The very early '82-'83 cars also had a different brake light in the lower right than the '84-'85.1 years.

I will have to say it is a very nice looking early car, and the really clean, early ones are becoming somewhat sought after due to their simplicity, lightness, unique features ( more than 50 differences from the '84 car ), and manual steering.

Please reconsider your thoughts towards the small block chevy conversion; if you want a v-8, buy one that has already been built. Just don't ruin another early 944. There is something to be said for their purity and greatness the way Porsche built them. They are a 'momentum' car and a real delight to learn to drive well on a track. Ever watch Minis race ? Flat out, throttle to the floor. Normally aspirated 944s are much the same way. They are bagloads of fun

I don't know what you paid for your car, but the first ones had a base price of 18,000 when new. My '82 built 944 was one of the first imported into America and was used as a publicity and photo shoot car by Porsche in Colorado. It has FUCHS alloys, black sport seats, h.d. bars, LSD, and a few other good options. It retailed well into the lower 20s. Do the conversion of what that amount is worth in today's value and then ask yourself if adding in at least another 10,000 into doing the conversion will be worth the devaluation of your car's future interest to yourself or others. There are a lot of these 'stalled' conversions in folk's backyards; plans which never came to fruition.

Think this thru carefully ...... read all you can on this site and other Porsche forums. Volumes have been written about swaps and the complexities and costs involved.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Do you have a rear wiper ?
the switch may be for that.

The other switch could be for headlight washer squirters, but it does not appear you have those ( or you maybe have a different front bumper on the car. )

As for the front switches by the shifter, your car ( '82 - '83 built models ) had only a manual sunroof, so no need there for the electric lift switch for the roof. It appears you may have an '84 center console replacement.

Something is not right with your console as the top is black and the bottom is the correct brown if it is a brown interior car. The very early '82-'83 cars also had a different brake light in the lower right than the '84-'85.1 years.

I will have to say it is a very nice looking early car, and the really clean, early ones are becoming somewhat sought after due to their simplicity, lightness, unique features ( more than 50 differences from the '84 car ), and manual steering.

Please reconsider your thoughts towards the small block chevy conversion; if you want a v-8, buy one that has already been built. Just don't ruin another early 944. There is something to be said for their purity and greatness the way Porsche built them. They are a 'momentum' car and a real delight to learn to drive well on a track. Ever watch Minis race ? Flat out, throttle to the floor. Normally aspirated 944s are much the same way. They are bagloads of fun

I don't know what you paid for your car, but the first ones had a base price of 18,000 when new. My '82 built 944 was one of the first imported into America and was used as a publicity and photo shoot car by Porsche in Colorado. It has FUCHS alloys, black sport seats, h.d. bars, LSD, and a few other good options. It retailed well into the lower 20s. Do the conversion of what that amount is worth in today's value and then ask yourself if adding in at least another 10,000 into doing the conversion will be worth the devaluation of your car's future interest to yourself or others. There are a lot of these 'stalled' conversions in folk's backyards; plans which never came to fruition.

Think this thru carefully ...... read all you can on this site and other Porsche forums. Volumes have been written about swaps and the complexities and costs involved.
+1......i would keep it pure, but if OP wants more HP, then I would contact Lindsey Racing and consult with Mike on having them supply an engine with MAF ECU that makes 200 HP. The downside to this is new clutch, probably rebuilt torque tube, and maybe transact refresh.

Estimate costs with installation is greater than $10K and the value of the car increases about $0K.

Keeping it pure and maintaining properly is the best value and fun to drive. Spend your $$$ in prudent suspension upgrades which makes the handling even better.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

An LS swap is more than just dropping that pickup truck engine into it. It also requires a different transmission, specifically one from a 951. An NA trans behind a V8 won't last more than a minute. And then I believe you'll lose your power brakes. If you want an LS powered something, get a Camaro and fix that up.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:18 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

. My 83 has only one hole at the front. It's the factory speaker fader control.

2 rocker switches back behind the shifter boot, near the ashtray. One is mirror selection for the power mirrors, the other is the rear wiper.

My manual steering is pretty tight. If you have a lot of slop, something is loose. I'd start at the top and work my way down to see what's not right. U-joint in the shaft, rack itself, tie rod ends, ball joints (I think I'm likely missing something, but I'm tired).

As far as the idea of an LS swap goes, I'm a big 'your car, your choice' person. But unless you've done a 'Frankenstein Swap' of this sort before, you really don't appreciate the magnitude of the project. It's HUGE. And expensive. And the car will be worth less.
You'd be miles ahead buying one already done. However, they aren't all that easy to find. At least not ones that are done. And run well. Think about that for a minute or two.

Or just get a 928. Porsche pedigree with a V8. There's one in my neck of the woods that just got posted over on the 928 forum. Good mechanical condition, needs some cosmetic stuff, priced under $10k.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

I also have an '83. I've spent the last 5+ years on rebuilding it and am still not finished. Yours looks light-years ahead of what I have..Inner tie rods on these manual racks sometimes die, and also the outer tie rod ends.Check them both for slop. There are bellows kits available for the racks. So check out the rack mounts as well. Those might be loose and sloppy.. Congrats on the car..looks great! keep us posted!! Welcome to R-List! Also if this is going to be a "keeper" you might want to check out a parts CD, as well as the workshop manual.. Parts manual is referred here as the PET..(Porsche Ersatz Teile) Porsche replacement parts. The workshop manual is the WSM on here.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 PM
kyletheviking
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tempest411
An LS swap is more than just dropping that pickup truck engine into it. It also requires a different transmission, specifically one from a 951. An NA trans behind a V8 won't last more than a minute. And then I believe you'll lose your power brakes. If you want an LS powered something, get a Camaro and fix that up.
I have done a lot of reading on this already, and still have a lot more to do. It's not an immediate plan by any means. It's a long term, drive the pure 944 til something bad (while still doing all the maintenance), and collecting LS Swap parts in the mean time.

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
. My 83 has only one hole at the front. It's the factory speaker fader control.

2 rocker switches back behind the shifter boot, near the ashtray. One is mirror selection for the power mirrors, the other is the rear wiper.

My manual steering is pretty tight. If you have a lot of slop, something is loose. I'd start at the top and work my way down to see what's not right. U-joint in the shaft, rack itself, tie rod ends, ball joints (I think I'm likely missing something, but I'm tired).

As far as the idea of an LS swap goes, I'm a big 'your car, your choice' person. But unless you've done a 'Frankenstein Swap' of this sort before, you really don't appreciate the magnitude of the project. It's HUGE. And expensive. And the car will be worth less.
You'd be miles ahead buying one already done. However, they aren't all that easy to find. At least not ones that are done. And run well. Think about that for a minute or two.

Or just get a 928. Porsche pedigree with a V8. There's one in my neck of the woods that just got posted over on the 928 forum. Good mechanical condition, needs some cosmetic stuff, priced under $10k.
I don't have a rear wiper...I was wondering how you adjusted the other mirror! xD
I'll look into that, someone else also mentioned tie rod ends, which I'll check out as well.
While I haven't done a franken swap like that, I do have some friends who have. . .like an LS Swapped Jeep and a monster of a 2002.

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
I also have an '83. I've spent the last 5+ years on rebuilding it and am still not finished. Yours looks light-years ahead of what I have..Inner tie rods on these manual racks sometimes die, and also the outer tie rod ends.Check them both for slop. There are bellows kits available for the racks. So check out the rack mounts as well. Those might be loose and sloppy.. Congrats on the car..looks great! keep us posted!! Welcome to R-List! Also if this is going to be a "keeper" you might want to check out a parts CD, as well as the workshop manual.. Parts manual is referred here as the PET..(Porsche Ersatz Teile) Porsche replacement parts. The workshop manual is the WSM on here.
Thanks! I just actually pulled the old broken hood release, and will be running the new one tomorrow (assuming it's not raining). Right now I've gotta crawl on the ground and reach up into the engine bay to release the hood. . .not ideal
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the problem with too much heat in the foot wells you have to get a flashlight, get on your knees outside the car, remove any plastic covers on the sides of the console toward the front and see if there are stripped or missing white clips that attach to the rods that open and close the heater flaps. They are notorious for getting stripped or just falling off. The threaded rods spin and the white clips attach them to the flaps to open and close them. Your's are stuck with the heat flaps open in the footwells. Also, for the hell of it check under the carpets and see if the thermal layer is under the carpet. A lot of heat comes through the console via missing thermal sleeves for the shifter and missing thermal barrier under the carpet on the hump that runs down the center of the car. In the summer it can be unbearable. My first 944 was a 1983 built in 1982, so the AC had run out of freon and even having fresh outside air on the coolest setting will suck in hot air from the engine bay. So definitely get the AC charged. I never got mine re=charged and it was miserable to drive in the summer in bumper to bumper traffic even with the sunroof in the up tilted position and the windows down. I would get covered in sweat.

Quick Reply: Just bought my 1983 944. . .and I have a couple questions (for now).