Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a really bad itch...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 12:05 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a really bad itch...

... and it's not a fungus, I don't think. Long and short is... I had a 1984 Porsche 944 that I bought for $1,600 about a decade ago. I blew about $7,500 on parts and restored the car myself, only to sell it for $2,080 to someone in Ohio. I loved the car, and while I didn't "NEED" to sell it... my wife was pregnant (it just happened), and I unloaded a bunch of cars as I wanted to refocus my life and priorities. We sold almost all our cool cars, bought two SUVs, and put the VW Bus and my Pontiac Fiero in storage. I sold everything else. Of all the cars I've sold... the 81 Trans Am, the 73 Olds Cutlass, Beetle, Pontiac Solstice, blah blah... the only one that I miss is the Porsche 944...

So, in that vein... I'm *dying* for another one. Life has been really good to me (as it always has) and I think I can squeeze a Porsche 944 into my life again after the Summer. The problem is, I was never really a fan of that 2.5L 4-cyl. I'm certainly in awe of the balancing shafts that rotate counter-clockwise to the rotation of the crank to upset the negative torque effects. But in the end, the car was barely quicker than my automatic 3-speed Pontiac Fiero when it was stock. I'm seriously considering an engine swap. Before I get lambasted, I'm not a heathen... I would undoubtedly purchase a project car that already had a trashed motor where someone screwed up with the cricket tool. Now, I know the LSX motors are a common swap, but I... (and I can't believe I'm saying this), believe that much power is a bit too much for the intent of the car. My ideal swap would be something along the lines of a 3.6L V6 60 degree motor from GM, a Series-3 motor. Not the 90 degree GM V8 motor with the two pistons lopped off... but the 4th generation 60 degree motor that was common in the Pontiac G6, Cadillac CTS, or even the newer Chevrolet Camaros.

Any thoughts?

On a side note... I found in the junkyard many years ago... a "Middle East" version of the Porsche 944 bumper. It looks almost exactly like the European smaller bumper-pad design with the integrated fog lamps, but the bumper is made out of aluminum with actual bumper pads, rather than the fiberglass European one. Sooo awesome. And of course, the car would need to be Guards Red. Mine was black inside and black outside. I'd be cool with a Guards Red exterior and either black inside or tan leather inside.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

ive looked into the 60 deg GM V6 too - very good options and potential, they should fit length and widthwise easily, height is the problem.
because of the narrower V angle the engines are 3-4" taller than an LS, which already brushes the hood at the front.

if you can drop the engine somehow/bump the hood/shorten the intake manifold you should be OK.

...or check the 951 forum for the Ohio crew working on the VW 2.5 I-5 swap.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Check with Van, he has a VW 1.8 L, I think turbo, engine project
Old 06-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Jaffar
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am currently doing this swap with a LY7 version of the GM HF motor. Using a Holden Rodeo oil pan the fit under the bonnet is very close. I am not a big fan of placing a spacer between the chassis rails and the cross member. Other than this issue the swap is quite easy. Motors are easy to get hold of in Australia and quite a few low cost upgrade parts.

Quick Reply: I have a really bad itch...