Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 85.2 Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 07:42 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

This weekend I had a little free time so I decided to replace the balance shaft seals and the front crankshaft seal. The last step before I reinstall the water pump and timing covers and get belts on. Figured I should replace the seals while I'm in there because now is the time. Well, I got the balance shaft front housings off and I replaced the front seal on each and installed new onion skin seals while I was at it as well. I had them in stock so may as well do the job right. I did all of this only to find that I forgot to order the o-rings for the balance shaft housings and that the crank seal that I ordered was wrong. I ordered everything I needed right then and there and ordered an extra set of balance shaft housing o-rings as well.

Should be in this weekend and I'm hoping to have the car driving then as well. Then I can concentrate on the suspension and steering and get that in perfect working order. I found some play on the right inner tie rod so I'll just order new ones for both sides, likely inner and outers and just do it all. I need to measure my front sway bar as it needs bushings and the car is an M456 car which could have the 23mm or the ilusive 25mm sway bar. Pretty sure its the 23mm bar but its best to measure.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:42 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

I finished up the timing and balance belt/water pump/ front engine reseal Saturday night and yesterday afternoon I took the car for a drive. The engine ran excellent and the car drove pretty well. I know it needs one inner tie rod and front sway bar bushings so I'll get a set of using and an inner and outer tie rod set on order. Overall I'm happy with it, though there's one minor oil leak at the cam box that I will address when the parts come in. For now though, I'm happy to have the car running and driving!

Name:  mkT1Snm.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  961.7 KB

Name:  5ba6UAP.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  914.8 KB

Name:  f9NdjIN.jpg
Size:  973.6 KB

Name:  tducZgL.jpg
Size:  752.6 KB

Name:  dE0xh0j.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  933.7 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by mazdaverx7:
fwb42 (09-21-2020), Micah (10-23-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

All of my parts are in and I should have the engine apart and back together by next weekend. I'll see about grabbing more picture's along the way. Would have been done already if it weren't for my brief hospital stay. Apparently I have stage 3 kidney failure. Not going to let it get me down. Got some lifestyle changes to make and am on medication so I'm gonna do my best to be around for a long time yet! Hoping the untreated high blood pressure they found is the sole cause of loss of kidney function. I've been off work for almost a week and I go back this morning. If I can make it through the work week and follow up doctors appointments, there's a chance I can also have this back together and cam box leak free!
Old 10-18-2020, 01:15 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Dave, sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital. Did they diagnose your condition in time to mitigate/reverse long-term effects? Regardless, speedy recovery.

How is your motor coming along? Did you get a chance to re-mate your cam box with its head over the past week?

Speaking of work, you have been and currently are in law enforcement, correct? Are you still on active duty?
The following users liked this post:
mazdaverx7 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 05:08 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Mel, as of now we are unsure of any progress. Kidney function is down to about 30% total. I have good days and bad. I'm seeking a second opinion and a different kidney doctor. The one I have seems to lack any empathy and is not helpful when I wish to discuss my condition and options.

As for the 944, I haven't made any progress on it. I've been feeling weak and tired but have vowed to work on it this week or weekend as I'm off work. Hoping to have it apart and back together this weekend. Ordered more stuff for the car as well. I'm a glutton for punishment with this car. I just love it so much.

I am still active in law enforcement. I work for a good agency but only on a part time basis currently. I lost my full time police job back in 2015 and have been part time since. For full time employment I work for Toyota as a technician. Once the right full time agency comes along I will leave back to full time law enforcement as thats where my heart is.
mel_t_vin (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 02:46 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Second opinion...that sounds like a damn good idea.

Glutton for punishment...aren't we [944 owners] all.

Hopefully, this next doctor has the knowledge/experience to mitigate further complications and reverse long-term effects...so you can get back to doing what you love, sooner rather than later. Thank you for your service.
mazdaverx7 (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 07:54 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your support!! I'm also hoping a second opinion will help me better understand what's going on and how I can treat it or what I can expect.

I enjoy being a glutton for punishment with these cars. I thought about buying another early car just because. But I have to finish some of my other projects before bringing another one home haha. Especially my 85.2. It deserves the attention its getting and I have neglected it for far too long unfortunately.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:52 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

I have a pile of boxes containing new parts for the 944 in the garage. Really going all out when everything arrives ill grab some pictures and post them. Really excited to continue getting this car where it needs to be!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:05 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

In the mean time however, I did confirm that I have the original adjustable shocks and struts for my M456 suspension. These wear out and are discarded, and are near impossible to find. So, with that said, I think I will bite the bullet and will eventually send them to Koni to be rebuilt and restored. I expect to pay at least $1000 for their services. While inwas in there, I took some pics to share! Also, I need to find the tool to adjust the front struts. An Allen key would likely work but it would be nice to have the original tool.

Original adjustable rear shocks:

Name:  kQZQYuh.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  715.4 KB

Original adjustable front struts:

Name:  QVo0sZX.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  949.2 KB

Name:  kE0L5v5.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  892.3 KB
mel_t_vin (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:57 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Nice...although they will undoubtedly be much happier once rebuilt.

Have you had any success in obtaining a second opinion? Any promising guidance?
Old 11-18-2020, 07:58 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Mel, I went yesterday for my second opinion. Its been tough to get in. This doctor is very thorough and ordered a ton of blood work yesterday which was painless and I have to go back for an echocardiogram of my heart to make sure its operating properly and that there isn't a build up of scar tissue. Next I go for a kidney ultrasound. This will check blood flow to the kidneys to make sure that's all good. The doctor isn't sure whats causing the kidney failure as she says that I am other wise healthy and being only 39 years old, she wants to make sure that we aren't missing something that could otherwise be reversed. The tests are a pain as they are on different days and I have to take off work but in the end I'll be greatful for her thoroughness to rule out any other potential factors for kidney failure.
mel_t_vin (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 03:09 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Check. Measure twice...cut once.
mazdaverx7 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 07:59 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Thats a good analogy!! Basically exactly what I'm doing. I figure I can only afford one cut, so let's measure correctly.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:04 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Just ordered an led headlight kit from Kyle at Only944 and a new hatch seal as well. The amount of new parts I have to go on the car is astounding haha. I'll post some pictures today after work! Really excited to continue working on this car!!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:13 AM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
Just ordered an led headlight kit from Kyle at Only944 and a new hatch seal as well. The amount of new parts I have to go on the car is astounding haha. I'll post some pictures today after work! Really excited to continue working on this car!!
I will definitely be interested in hearing your impressions of the headlight kit; it’s in my future!

Quick Reply: My 85.2 Refresh