Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pass on a 944 S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 03:58 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had those slotted manhole covers on my 86.5 928 too. I don't know why but I like them.

I'm loving this thread....lotsa great info on the 16V'ers.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:32 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Sewer lids being the forged wheels on the 88 951S and 89 951, not the D90s that looked similar....
Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
...What I don't much like about them is they don't seem to cool the brakes well. I have them on my '85 928 and they're fine on the street but not so much on the track.
@Tom R. I think you are confusing the forged Club Sprort (CS) wheels with forged Sewer Lids. It was the CS wheels that were fitted to the 951S optioned cars and it’s the CS that look similar to the cast D90’s.

@Otto Mechanic What you can do with your Sewer Lids to make them run cooler is have them converted to CS wheels. If you look at the back of Sewer Lids the factory already marked out “cut outs” so a shop could easily machine the extra metal.
The following users liked this post:
makros (06-20-2021)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
@Tom R. I think you are confusing the forged Club Sprort (CS) wheels with forged Sewer Lids. It was the CS wheels that were fitted to the 951S optioned cars and it’s the CS that look similar to the cast D90’s.

@Otto Mechanic What you can do with your Sewer Lids to make them run cooler is have them converted to CS wheels. If you look at the back of Sewer Lids the factory already marked out “cut outs” so a shop could easily machine the extra metal.
So from the outside they look the same? At quick glance they look like a D90, but with the engraving around the outside of the hole. Which ones did Fuchs make?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:34 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Original FUCHS wheel which first came on the scene on early 911/912s

Manhole, sewer lids, trashcan lids, seven slots, the German name is 'Gullydeckel',
they are also made by FUCHS and are forged al. alloy like the first image

'89 turbo wearing the forged alloy Club Sports made by FUCHS
makros (06-20-2021)
Old 03-03-2019, 12:39 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

the last two images above are different offsets and widths but made by FUCHS in a heat treated, pressure forged manufacturing process for lightness and strength.

the D90 is a cast wheel with different lips and I believe are made by Ronal in Germany.
( the only set of wheels I don't own for these cars, so cannot verify on the maker )

the FUCHS on the Ruby red 'sunroof delete lightweight' in middle image are also 16s like the ones on the turbo in Sapphire, but differ in width and offset. It is true they do not allow as much air passing to cool brakes in long track sessions, but are extremely strong wheels. They carry the Porsche parts numbers, the Fox head mark of all FUCHS wheels, and show a definite line on the back of the slots where the cutouts would be on the ClubSports, just as mentioned above by MAGK44. Earlier dated wheels do not.

The other thing about the forged FUCHS vs. the D90s, is the finish. D90s are painted, the FUCHS whether original manholes, pie plates, lids, etc., all have an anodized finish in silver or platinum. Weissach 928s had a color unique to the anodizing and sometimes do show up on the market. In the used realm, keep a close eye on sizing, as there are many offsets and apps from 911 to 928 to 944S to 951.

And I believe the Club Sports wheels were only offered on 951s of '88.2 and '89 model year, and 928 GTS and S4 variants. None were offered on the 911, because offsets were changed from the G model 911 cars which DID utilize some offerings of the Gullydeckel as an option.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 03-03-2019 at 01:01 PM.
makros (06-20-2021)
Old 03-03-2019, 02:23 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

So from the outside they look the same? At quick glance they look like a D90, but with the engraving around the outside of the hole. Which ones did Fuchs make?
Yes the cast D90’s and forged Club Sports look the same at a glance, on closer inspection the engraving confirms the Club Sports.

The forged Trash Lids also have the engraving but they look totally different to Club Sports however, like I said above, you can convert them quite easily to Club Sports.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes the cast D90’s and forged Club Sports look the same at a glance, on closer inspection the engraving confirms the Club Sports.

The forged Trash Lids also have the engraving but they look totally different to Club Sports however, like I said above, you can convert them quite easily to Club Sports.
Mike -

Thanks for the description, I had no idea those wheels could be converted. I have a complete set of 4 on my parts car I could send out. I'm pretty sure mine are anodized instead of powder coated. I'd need to find someone to not only machine them to the CS shape but also do the outside engraving since it looks to me like cutting them to the CS spec will also cut out the manhole engraving. Then the wheels would need to be anodized again?

Any referrals?

Regards,
Old 03-03-2019, 05:57 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Mike -

Thanks for the description, I had no idea those wheels could be converted. I have a complete set of 4 on my parts car I could send out. I'm pretty sure mine are anodized instead of powder coated. I'd need to find someone to not only machine them to the CS shape but also do the outside engraving since it looks to me like cutting them to the CS spec will also cut out the manhole engraving. Then the wheels would need to be anodized again?

Any referrals?

Regards,
It should be an easy job on a milling machine for any machine shop and btw the manhole cover engraving remains and is the same as the CS engraving.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had the CS on my 89 951, D90s on my 3 S2s, and for some reason didn't see the obvious difference to the sewer lids. Round v square opening. Cant be more obvious than that. I've been in M Roadster useless info for too long.

I have a set of 7" D90s to get rid of now that the 944S is gone. They were painted, and like I said above they don't work on the track with stock NA brakes.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:52 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Otto-

Since it appears you are on the West Coast,
you have seen or heard of Weidman Wheel Refinishing in northern CA have you not ?

He comes highly recommended in the wheel restoration and refinishing business, but has a long waiting list and is quite expensive.

Al Reed in Southern CA is another great refinisher out your way. He and Harvey Weidman have both done wheels for me and I would highly recommend either
makros (06-20-2021)
Old 03-04-2019, 02:59 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

It should be an easy job on a milling machine for any machine shop and btw the manhole cover engraving remains and is the same as the CS engraving.
Mike -

Forgive me, I'm dyslexic; I forgot the eyebrow engraving is on the outside of the cutout, not the inside.

Thanks for the tip. I expect I'll do this.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:03 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Otto-

Since it appears you are on the West Coast,
you have seen or heard of Weidman Wheel Refinishing in northern CA have you not ?

He comes highly recommended in the wheel restoration and refinishing business, but has a long waiting list and is quite expensive.

Al Reed in Southern CA is another great refinisher out your way. He and Harvey Weidman have both done wheels for me and I would highly recommend either
Thanks, speed isn't of the essence but price is always a concern. I'll check both out.

Regards,
Scott.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:33 AM
azerite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What turbo parts are on a S? Not the brakes, not the sway bars, not the head, not even the wheels. Definitely not the steering wheel unless it is a S with the airbag option. They do have the same doors and hood.
What standard turbo parts are on the S2? 1988 sway bars, brakes, bumper, header, steering wheel, rear diffuser. Don't forget the spare tire. What standard S2 part is not on the turbo (at least not on the 88 turbo unless added as an option)? ABS
I meant that the parts had a stamp of 951, instead of the 944. When i did similar work on the first 944 i owned (parts stamped 944) that's why i said i was surprised. Now this may just mean that the S used 951 parts because they superseded the 944 equivalent of the time. but in essence what you wrote is what i was getting at, a 944s has the body of a 944, with common shared parts stamped 951. The S2, has the body of a turbo, with common shared parts of a 951.

The engine is obviously using parts from a 928 (the cam hold down brackets, the top end tensioners etc. BUT the gaskets are 951. I don't recall the rod bearings, i think those were 951 as well.

On the suspension, the control arms, bushings (sway bar and otherwise), caster blocks all 951. Sway bar was actually larger than the turbo from 86, i don't know part number, but i had a back and forth with the parts folks because i thought it was standard 944, and turned out to be larger. Clutch was also for a 951/s2, i took out the rubber centered one, granted it was already replaced once (i think the previous owner had it done, wish i knew.)

basically i came to the conclusion that the S is a great value. It is more robust than an 8v 944 given the 951 parts used, but cheaper than a 951/s2 because of the body style?

On the rear, same thing. Yes the brakes are from a 944, but the trans has hardened parts akin to a 951, with different gear ratios.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

FYI, there is a 944S currently up for bid on Bring a Trailer (no affiliation)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-porsche-944s-14/

Looks to be a nice lower mileage car.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Spokayman
FYI, there is a 944S currently up for bid on Bring a Trailer (no affiliation)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-porsche-944s-14/

Looks to be a nice lower mileage car.
Good luck. If I bring another red 944 home I will be sleeping in the garage. It looks like a keeper. Too nice to track. Plus tracking it with those wheels wont work. If you win it and want a set of phone dials to clean up I have a straight set. Ugly paint but straight.

Quick Reply: Pass on a 944 S?