Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Definitive Power To Manual Rack Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019 | 08:50 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I'd have to say the "definitive" power to manual rack conversion thread is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ring-rack.html

It does include references to Martin's solution along with just about every other option. If you haven't had a chance yet, I strongly recommend it. It goes into great detail on all of the alternatives but it's about 65 pages long so plan to spend some time on it.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 02-28-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-28-2019 | 09:07 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

PS: It may be worth mentioning here that according to OddJob (Jim), our resident homologation expert, both the 944 Turbo Cup cars and the 944 S2 Club Sports were equipped and successfully raced using the "de-powered" ZF racks in favor of the factory ZF manual racks due to the slightly quicker steering ratios, which incidentally increased low speed steering effort slightly relative to the ZF manual.

I have a ZF manual rack I haven't installed in my 944 S2 CS tribute for this reason and may be interested in selling it. I'm very pleased with the de-powered rack and so haven't experimented with the manual rack. It's difficult to source the intermediate shafts and correct tie rod ends for the manual racks.

My experience is that the steering is heavy but manageable with the de-powered ZF racks at speeds under 5mph. Above that the steering effort is no different from the power version but much more precise, with a noticeable improvement in road feel and feedback.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 02-28-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added Link to OddJob reference
Old 02-28-2019 | 10:21 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
1. I wrote “definitive” because it was the culmination of all that I had gleened from the various threads I’ve read about this issue. As there is no authority on this or any other 944 matter save for a Porsche engineer (oh, and apparently you), and as none of those threads offered a straight forward answer to the question, I chose that title thinking no one but the pathologically pedantic will actually interpret literally.

Not wanting to be involved in fallout from a flame war, I'll suggest something anyway.

There is an authority on this and it is Porsche Engineering; de-powering the power rack is the preferred and tested solution. The question becomes, how was the rack de-powered by Porsche Engineering? I haven't answered that one yet and I haven't come across a person who's taken out the Porsche solution and documented it with photos and a description, so we're really left guessing. The solution I mentioned is documented in the thread I quoted, but none of us know if that was Porsche's solution without a photo documented "take apart" guide. I'd dearly love to see one of those?

It would be very nice if someone who owns a Turbo Cup or S2 Club Sport did that, but I haven't seen it myself.

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 02-28-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2019 | 09:52 PM
Curtis Palmer
5th Gear

I'm like many on this forum who have de-powered my steering rack about 4 years ago, it was one of the best things I've done to the car! Everyone has their own opinion, but I have no problem maneuvering the car in a parking lot. It just takes a little forethought and leverage. Best of all, it's one more thing I don't have to remove when working on the engine.
Old 03-02-2019 | 08:38 AM
Dwizle
Racer

Originally Posted by MAGK944

First, this wasn’t a personal attack, I don’t know where you got that from, maybe you think anyone who disagrees with what you have to say is attacking you personally, if that’s the case grow a pair.

Second, this is s public forum, if you start a thread here you don’t have the luxury of deciding who’s posts you’d like on your thread and who’s you’d rather not, simply because you don’t like what they are saying or because they irk your sensitive nature.

Third, this is a discussion, I strongly disagree with your conclusion of what is a “difinitive” solution for manual steering for our cars. Others here may decide what I said doesn’t matter, they may make other observations, that’s how discussions work. I’m not going to cry about it either way.

Finally, It’s a critical safety item, the solution you found for it was designed by someone nobody really knows in the transaxle world supplying a product with very little if any real world testing. If this was Racers Edge, Lindsey Racing, or one of the many smaller operations here who we know and trust I’d be singing their praises warranty or not, however that is not the case.

Old 03-02-2019 | 02:24 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by Dwizle

You can "bow down" and "rock on" all you want, but in the private messages he and I exchanged, he proved himself to be nothing but a coward, a loquacious, big mouth tough guy behind a keyboard who, when offered the opportunity to identify himself (as I did to him) and say to my face what he wrote safe behind the anonymity of his computer screen, turned into a taciturn sissy (TSB - typical squid behavior. That and buggery). I'll update this thread periodically to let everyone know whether this widow-maker of a mod has killed me yet and say a prayer for you naive fools who dare to run your cars in anything but the exact same spec as the day they left Neckarsulm. Remember everyone: Before you put anything on your car, get your lawyer to read the warranty first.

Last edited by AkechiMotors; 03-02-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2019 | 08:14 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I'll update this thread periodically to let everyone know whether this widow-maker of a mod has killed me yet and say a prayer for you naive fools who dare to run your cars in anything but the exact same spec as the day they left Neckarsulm.
You're really painting us with a pretty broad brush here, we aren't "naive fools". For my part, I'm trying to build a replica of the 1991 944 S2 Club Sport that took 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the IMSA Firehawk series. I'm not trying to build the most competitive car, I'm trying to be historically accurate with the build. I'd just like to feel a car built to those specs.

So go easy on those of us searching for solutions to the power/manual conversion?

Old 03-02-2019 | 08:22 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
You're really painting us with a pretty broad brush here, we aren't "naive fools". For my part, I'm trying to build a replica of the 1991 944 S2 Club Sport that took 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the IMSA Firehawk series. I'm not trying to build the most competitive car, I'm trying to be historically accurate with the build. I'd just like to feel a car built to those specs.

So go easy on those of us searching for solutions to the power/manual conversion?
You missed my sarcasm - I was referring to the hyperbolic, histrionic rant a few posts up by the coward who won’t tell me his name after publically impugning my integrity and attacking another man’s business while making the claim that putting anything on a car that is indemnified against public road use (which is just about every modification sold) is taking your life into your hands. Me? I’m all for whatever you want to do to your car, and I’m not going to call you a fool or a shill for doing so, unlike the cowardly jackass above.
Old 03-04-2019 | 03:09 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

You missed my sarcasm - I was referring to the hyperbolic, histrionic rant a few posts up by the coward who won’t tell me his name after publically impugning my integrity and attacking another man’s business while making the claim that putting anything on a car that is indemnified against public road use (which is just about every modification sold) is taking your life into your hands. Me? I’m all for whatever you want to do to your car, and I’m not going to call you a fool or a shill for doing so, unlike the cowardly jackass above.
Well, I can't say I know your name either but I'm unwilling to call you a coward or refer to your writings as a "rant". It's OK to express an opinion about commercial products and I have to say I share some concerns; I did investigate the solution you present and while it seemed, at least superficially, to be reasonable, I didn't choose it myself for the reasons given. Many of us do take other factors into consideration and it really is an engineering decision as Mike pointed out.

I'm not trying to take sides, but it would be nice to keep the discussion civil. Or we could all post cat pictures. I've seen that done before.

Regards,
Old 03-04-2019 | 03:32 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

PS: My apologies, it was Mike who used the "/RANT" tag and so deserves the rejoinder of "rant", however you may want to examine this whole idea of not understanding sarcasm and self-deprecating humor It's also probably important to note that we're all volunteers here (maybe a few of the mods might collect a stippend of some sort from IB but I don't really know).

Anyway, just a thought. Mike has been a valuable source of wisdom and experience on this board for a very long time. I sincerely doubt he deserves being labeled a nameless coward and I, for one, think it would be a true demonstration of upstanding character if you were to apologize for that. We probably shouldn't discuss buggery or squid behavior.

I honestly suspect it was your use of the description "definitive" that may have created some resistance; this is a very well studied subject and one that has been discussed in great detail on other threads. It's very difficult for anyone versed on the topic to consider the original post "definitive" in any way a researcher might use the word. I don't at all intend to slight Martin's effort; as a 944 owner that would be just shooting myself in the foot. I applaud the efforts of folks who support our cars and would do nothing to discourage them. But it's complicated and even the best solutions have sharp corners...

Regards,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 03-04-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2019 | 04:23 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Well, I can't say I know your name either but I'm unwilling to call you a coward or refer to your writings as a "rant". It's OK to express an opinion about commercial products and I have to say I share some concerns; I did investigate the solution you present and while it seemed, at least superficially, to be reasonable, I didn't choose it myself for the reasons given. Many of us do take other factors into consideration and it really is an engineering decision as Mike pointed out.

I'm not trying to take sides, but it would be nice to keep the discussion civil. Or we could all post cat pictures. I've seen that done before.

Regards,
He referred to his OWN post as a rant. Is that ok? To just wade into a thread and start ranting at someone? Now please explain why you think Martin's kit is dangerous, and since this is an engineering discussion, do so using engineering principles and data. The extremely experienced, well-known and regarded shop owner who builds 944 race cars and did the install was impressed with the kit and considered it one of the simplest, most complete ways to convert to a manual rack he'd ever come across.

PS: My apologies, it was Mike who used the "/RANT" tag and so deserves the rejoinder of "rant", however you may want to examine this whole idea of not understanding sarcasm and self-deprecating humor It's also probably important to note that we're all volunteers here (maybe a few of the mods might collect a stippend of some sort from IB but I don't really know).

Anyway, just a thought. Mike has been a valuable source of wisdom and experience on this board for a very long time. I sincerely doubt he deserves being labeled a nameless coward and I, for one, think it would be a true demonstration of upstanding character if you were to apologize for that. We probably shouldn't discuss buggery or squid behavior.

I honestly suspect it was your use of the description "definitive" that may have created some resistance; this is a very well studied subject and one that has been discussed in great detail on other threads. It's very difficult for anyone versed on the topic to consider the original post "definitive" in any way a researcher might use the word. I don't at all intend to slight Martin's effort; as a 944 owner that would be just shooting myself in the foot. I applaud the efforts of folks who support our cars and would do nothing to discourage them. But it's complicated and even the best solutions have sharp corners...

Regards,
Apologize? He's the one who began "ranting" - his own words - at me and suggested that I was either a fool or a shill. And he is a coward - I told him my name and gave him the chance to provide me with his so that he could have the opportunity to speak to me in person in the manner he wrote to me behind the anonymity of his keyboard. His response? Radio silence - suddenly the verbose, sententious ***** shut his fat ****ing mouth. So no, I'm not going to apologize to him for his attack on my character - guess I'm just funny like that. As for squids and buggery, what can I say? It's just what they do. So **** you, "Mike" - I know you're still reading this thread, you coward. Next time, moderate your ****ing tone instead ranting in someone's thread while calling them stupid and insinuating they're some sort of conspirator.

Last edited by AkechiMotors; 03-04-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2019 | 05:08 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Requesting moderation and lock of this thread.
Old 03-04-2019 | 05:11 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Requesting moderation of this thread.
Good, because I already did in post #8, and in a private message to the mod. No joy - maybe you can get someone to do something about it, because I can't.

Like I said, I wanted to - and did - take this private, but you guys keep replying, so I'll keep responding.

Last edited by AkechiMotors; 03-04-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2019 | 06:06 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Akechi -

"Requesting moderation and lock of this thread." is the correct quote.

Thank you for your willingness to participate voluntarily.

Regards,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 03-04-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2019 | 09:02 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Quick Reply: The Definitive Power To Manual Rack Conversion Thread