Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 turbo paint job in my garage

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 924 turbo paint job in my garage

Just started so not to many pics yet but I will update with lots of them as I get going. nothing to crazy just a gloss black. car is in really good shape as far as the body goes. interior is a little worn but its a track car so that's ok.

Any thoughts, suggestions, critiques? I have painted quite a few cars in my garage and so far.. I cant complain This one is not mine, painting it for another Porsche owner.. I think hes a member on here as well. I painted my 911 in this same fashion last year.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:32 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

cant seem to get the pics to load... i'll keep trying

Old 11-29-2018, 12:12 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks good.

I have got some of the best jobs I ever have done, outside the paint booth.

I see you have a sealed up exhaust fan but can't see your intake, if you just made a panel that would take two central A/C filter cartridges, that would do just fine.

I always wet the floor, you might have done this and it's just dried up[ by the time you took the pics but the turbulence from your gun, especially pointing downward will kick up floor dust.

A second tip, since this seems to be metallic, you should spray your doors and fenders in the upright position because you have no other choice but to spray the rear 1/4 panel that way.
The metallics don't lay the same horizontal to vertical so when you mount the door, you might see a difference in shade (way light acts on metallic orientation) between the door and the 1/4 panel.

Solids like white, black, don't matter.

T
Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Looks good.

I have got some of the best jobs I ever have done, outside the paint booth.

I see you have a sealed up exhaust fan but can't see your intake, if you just made a panel that would take two central A/C filter cartridges, that would do just fine.

I always wet the floor, you might have done this and it's just dried up[ by the time you took the pics but the turbulence from your gun, especially pointing downward will kick up floor dust.

A second tip, since this seems to be metallic, you should spray your doors and fenders in the upright position because you have no other choice but to spray the rear 1/4 panel that way.
The metallics don't lay the same horizontal to vertical so when you mount the door, you might see a difference in shade (way light acts on metallic orientation) between the door and the 1/4 panel.

Solids like white, black, don't matter.

T
T great thoughts and thank you for sharing. I haven't hung my curtains yet as I took them down after I finished my car last winter. its going to be just black, not metallic.

I don't wet the floor but my reasons are I think justified. I do create a lot of draft to battle dust and I'm a wet sand guy so dust and particulates get sanded out. I like the surface finish better with sanding everything between coats. plus when I have used wet floors the few times I get fish eye I never know if its the water or silica in the air hose or what not and I found I just get less of that stuff when I don't wet the floors. but I know LOTS who do so no criticism from me on that one.

last winter I also finally broke down and purchased a nicer gun. that was probably the biggest grin I got from painting cars lol a good gun makes a huge difference.

the green car attached is the last paint job I did.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:26 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Love the green!

Subscribed -
Old 11-29-2018, 02:43 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Love the green!

Subscribed -
thanks.

if anyone wants to see the build of the green car this is the link below. it involved steel wide body, custom made side skirts, custom made roof scoop, after market and modified frt/rr bumper, coil overs, elephant racing bushing, eps control arms, custom exhaust, upholstered interior to match green... and more and more and more. I did all the work myself in my garage. so ya this is kind of a plug for anyone who might want some work done to there cars lol I love cars and after 23 yrs sitting behind a desk and being a weekend warrior mechanic... as I get older I want to do more with cars. life is so stressful as it is and for me.. cars is the best past time there is

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...wide-body.html
Old 11-29-2018, 03:35 PM
951and944S
Race Car

LOL, my father in law ran a body shop for 30 years.

He used to tell me, "there are painters and there are buffers".

But yeah, I wet sand and buff everything I spray too.

I don't like texture in my finish at all either.

That green is very close if not the same as one of the 3 colors on my son's 944 race car...Extreme Green is what BASF/LimCo call it.

T
Old 11-29-2018, 04:17 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Just the first paragraph from the linked story and I like you already...

Me and my son were just like that.

If you don't already, let him try sometimes when he is watching, whatever you are doing at the time.

I was never afraid to let my son try to do what I was doing and he was never afraid to give it a shot.

This builds self esteem and also makes his skills set very wide where he won't be afraid to try anything as a career in life.

I am lucky to have all the memories and I have tons of pics of both of us doing projects.

Nowadays, he races and I just build the cars and support him.

T
Old 11-29-2018, 11:00 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts

Only suggestion I'll make is if your going to be doing more painting work, this may be a good time to consider an upgrade to an explosion proof fan. Makes me shiver a bit to think of atomized solvents being drawn through an open electric motor. If a sealed fan unit isn't in the cards, perhaps reversing the draft direction (fan blowing in would draw clean air and create positive pressure in the "booth"), or at least create a conical diverter in front of the motor to move solids away from center.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:45 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

LOL, my father in law ran a body shop for 30 years.

He used to tell me, "there are painters and there are buffers".

But yeah, I wet sand and buff everything I spray too.

I don't like texture in my finish at all either.

That green is very close if not the same as one of the 3 colors on my son's 944 race car...Extreme Green is what BASF/LimCo call it.

T
That green is "green envy" and very close to chevy's "synergy green" I have my paint mixed at the local napa parts store and its Nason paint. I like it, been using it for years and I've always had good results with it. Ya I'm not sure if I'm a painter or a buffer lol

Just the first paragraph from the linked story and I like you already...

Me and my son were just like that.

If you don't already, let him try sometimes when he is watching, whatever you are doing at the time.

I was never afraid to let my son try to do what I was doing and he was never afraid to give it a shot.

This builds self esteem and also makes his skills set very wide where he won't be afraid to try anything as a career in life.

I am lucky to have all the memories and I have tons of pics of both of us doing projects.

Nowadays, he races and I just build the cars and support him.

T
I couldn't agree more. I have one of those awesome high strung, bounce off the walls attention of a flea boys... its a challenge and I love it lol I have a goal for my son..I want him to be like me lol I RARELY pay someone to do stuff for me and I want him to be equipped with knowledge and know how to handle life when it comes at him as he gets older. he's 8 now and we are best friends.. if anyone doesn't have a son.. go out and make one... their awesome

Originally Posted by Gage
Only suggestion I'll make is if your going to be doing more painting work, this may be a good time to consider an upgrade to an explosion proof fan. Makes me shiver a bit to think of atomized solvents being drawn through an open electric motor. If a sealed fan unit isn't in the cards, perhaps reversing the draft direction (fan blowing in would draw clean air and create positive pressure in the "booth"), or at least create a conical diverter in front of the motor to move solids away from center.
sheesh... take the fun right out of it dude lol I do have two windows and two fans with a good cross draft. I hang a curtain around the paint area as well. so far I have had to roast any marshmellows but you do make a good point... although ...a small fire would insure an insurance claim that would get me a new garage. I like your thinking, thanks lol

Old 11-30-2018, 12:29 PM
30vQuattro
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello! owner of the car here Very excited about the end job!
Old 11-30-2018, 04:36 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 30vQuattro
Hello! owner of the car here Very excited about the end job!

hey guys don’t pick out any of my flaws ... the owner is now watching this thread lol
Old 12-02-2018, 10:28 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, long post with a lot of boring info lol so in my threads I like to detail a lot of the small things just because i know when i first got into cars i hated how people left out all the details that would have allowed me to follow and replicate for my car. so i try to be thorough. I know i also open myself up to the nit pickers who want to tell me how i'm doing it all wrong but thats ok. there are so many ways to get things done and know for me and my cars... i'm happy with my results so no worries if someone doesn't like the way i'm doing something lets just keep it friendly.. we are a small breed in todays world with electric cars and phones becoming the new hobbies and no one daring to work in there garage anymore so we are family gotta help each other out. shucks i remember being 22 and hated how it took me forever to figure out what "WOT" meant when i was trying to tune the first motor i rebuilt lol. anyway...

so the first few pics are of the doors, mirrors and headlight covers. i just wanted to show how they looked after sanding on the primer. they came out very clean and straight and i think the black will look very clean on them. i like to use a self etching primer for my first coat and if needed i will use a sandable/filler primer. these luckily other than three small dings in the doors filled with bondo came out great.

After the doors is the front bumper.... lol if anyone wants to donate a front bumper to the owner I will be much obliged lolol its ruff.. i mean real ruff lol i tried to capture all the pits and scrapes in the pics but it doesn't do it justice. i have my work cut out for me on the bumper. so far i have about 2 hours of sanding into and my first coat of filler primer along with some bondo over the small stuff that i would trust bondo on a plastic bumper with. its coming along and it will look primo when finished but its a job for sure. also going to need to make some bracket out of some 0.060 sheet metal along the grill supports so its low profile to the eye but strong enough to keep them back together. i'll post pics of those as i make them. should be starting with some black paint by the middle to end of the week.

thanks for watching guys
Brian

Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Take caution on the mirrors as they have a rubberized coating under the paint so if you strip them, prime/repaint, they will chip easily from rocks.

2) You say you like etching primer as 1st coat, then "if needed, sandable/filler primer" then bondo door dings.
One more caution, body filler should never go over etching primer.
From Transtar etching primer data sheet -
Recommendations:• Do not use under polyester body filler.

T
Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Take caution on the mirrors as they have a rubberized coating under the paint so if you strip them, prime/repaint, they will chip easily from rocks.

2) You say you like etching primer as 1st coat, then "if needed, sandable/filler primer" then bondo door dings.
One more caution, body filler should never go over etching primer.
From Transtar etching primer data sheet -
Recommendations:• Do not use under polyester body filler.

T
T.. thank very much for the input. I will read up on the stuff im using. I love forums lol

Quick Reply: 924 turbo paint job in my garage