Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's OFFICIAL! 944Fest at Fisheys!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004 | 02:23 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
UD.. great ideas with the publicity. Let's make the focus clear, we are after the actual OWNERS of the waterpumpers to come join us. I really have NO interest in inviting the public, even if they pay, to oogle our toys. I don't want any radio station to say "come out and see these awesome shiny German cars"..That's not the deal. The Fish family isn't expecting 1000 people..just 50 or so cars and the folks who love them. (1 guest in a car is fine, even encouraged)
That was crystal clear from the get go. Any publicity I can round up is for an accounting of the events only. Any print story that boosted event publicity wouldnt run until the event was over anyhow. As far as PCA stuff, Im sure there are a LOT of PCA people who read their newsletter each month that drive 944s, would love to attend, yet have no idea it's even in the works.

Thats why I mentioned in another thread someone start a "party" list of those who are definitely attending, those who probably will, and those who arent sure, so theres a handle on how many cars/ppl will be showing up. There may be a cap at the size you are shooting for this thing (i.e. 50 cars). Id hate to see you get overwhelmed. That would in some ways be worse than too few cars!

On a totally unrelated note, Im not completely against the idea of everybody chipping in $15-20 or something on a "per car" basis to help flip the bill for some of this. I know some are already chipping in, in their own way, but I also dont think Fishey/Dan should have to front most of the cost either if possible. 50 cars x $20 is $1000. Not a fortune, but some change to help offset your expenses and make it less painful. Nobody should have to go broke.
Old 01-26-2004 | 02:30 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
UD.. great ideas with the publicity. Let's make the focus clear, we are after the actual OWNERS of the waterpumpers to come join us. I really have NO interest in inviting the public, even if they pay, to oogle our toys. I don't want any radio station to say "come out and see these awesome shiny German cars"..That's not the deal. The Fish family isn't expecting 1000 people..just 50 or so cars and the folks who love them. (1 guest in a car is fine, even encouraged) I'll buy grub and drink for 50/75 folks, no problem.. but when it gets to the point you need tickets to claim your lunch or an arm band for the keg, something went askew and I'll be needing to rent the fairgrounds next time. Tunes will be handled by a select DJ, and whether it comes out of a car system or a PC/stereo, it will be just to help the mood. I'm not of fan of music so loud you can't talk.. My publicity goal is to invite all of the waterboys within a reasonable drive..and as we see "reasonable" is a very relative thing!

Jen.. I wasn't going to announce HE was coming..(yet) I for one am still in disbelief. For Him to travel that far and get greasy, well.. that just wouldn't be right. He'll probably be too busy signing autographs. If He wants to wrench, join the gang! Are you planning on joining us too?
(The caps on all the He's and Him's was no mistake)

Dan, so does this mean that the nine dozen isnt allowed to come out and play with its 4 banger breathern? (of course if im allowed it would be just like last year i would come as a supporter of the movement, with car sitting on sideline, not being in any official photos etc...).

if not i guess that means i will just have more time to plan the the 912 registry midwest regional events (some people are born to power, and others recieve a long distance phone call in the middle of the night, while their in the middle of trying to restore a set of headlights and have it thrust upon them!)

but ill still be really bumed if im not allowd to go.

Last edited by hoffman912; 01-26-2004 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2004 | 03:18 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay I missed last year. I have yet to here of anyone coming from texas! I really wanna go ...maybe we could get some sort of small group together.....matt H where are you??? you are right next door wanna make the trip together. I wouldn't have a problem chipping in money to help out. I am also in favor of t shirt's of some sort. I can bring the mini dv camcorder to take video and take digital pictures. It's going to be a long drive for me but, I think I really would like to go. Come on all ya'll texas water boys!!! where you at??
Old 01-26-2004 | 04:22 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Sach951
Hey Cory I'll be joining up with you if I can make it...

Be safe,
Sach
If you can make it, you're welcome to come! I need to go to bed... too much study-study tonight :-(

Later,
Cory

I'll start a caravan thread later and we'll work all the routes and times out like I did last year. Hopefully the Wisconsin guys won't stand us up this year again ;-)
Old 01-26-2004 | 06:44 AM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Yes, Scott, a set list!!!! Glad to hear you're considering coming back!!!!

We may have a few more guitars this year, too. Chris924s, and I think even 944Pete mentioned coming out of retirement for this. I guess we could go with a few PM's for a set list compilation. As I recall, I think Cory might want to hear us massacre some more ZZ Top tunes.
Old 01-26-2004 | 10:59 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally posted by hoffman912
Dan, so does this mean that the nine dozen isnt allowed to come out and play with its 4 banger breathern?
Hoffman, of course you can come chase on on the cruise, and just like last year on the photo shoot. You are welcome at the event.

Here's my issue: This all started with a dozen guys with 944s getting together to take pics, talk shop and enjoy what we have in common. There are dozens of Porsche car meets all year, and all of them the waterboys are treated like forgotten stepchildren. A lot of pushers can appreciate our machines, and some can not.. but we always get second billing. Not at my event. This is a shindig for the stepchild.. If I wanted to morph it into a big "all Porsche" car show, I'd quit putting any money into it, and hand it over to the PCA because that is what they do best. I've avoided PCA "sanctioning" because I don't think they'd like the way I treat the 911s.. My offer is "come all ye neglected, and I'll buy you lunch". PCA Pushers would be mad, rightfully so, if their club paid $$ for an event and they weren't included. I don't like to exclude anyone, but when I lead the cruise and look in my rear view, the identical mirrors and fenders is what really makes it unique. Just like 30 911s in a row does. You are an exception, you spend a lot of time in the 944 boards.. probably because the pusher-6 folks snub you too. That and we've got a great gang there. Fish's 911 is family.. and John is royalty.. outside that, I'm not encouraging any other 911s to come. Yea, I expect a few to car pool with their 944 pals, and that's OK.. But I really am not "pushing" them to come, and they probably shouldn't expect to be in the show. If you recall, when I gave away prizes at '03, only license plates from waterboys were thrown into the hopper (sorry, I'm sure you noticed). You will be eligible for the tools, of course!

UD.. when it gets out of hand, I'll put an admission charge on it. I'd like to thank those who make the trip to join us by buying them grub and drink. Last year I spent about 600 or 700 $, but got back almost $400 in donations, so it really isn't an issue. As I said, expect to get hit up for donations.. (Cuz collected without me knowing) If you didn't bring food, prizes or beverages, toss what you can afford into the jar. Those who can afford it will be glad to chip in, those who can't I'm fine if they don't. (I remember what it was like to live on min wage)

Old 01-26-2004 | 11:11 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Likewise, I've no issue with a fixed amount to "get in the door" and then additionally topping off the donation jar...

Couldn't make it last year; this year I've already booked it!
Old 01-26-2004 | 11:37 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

OK, this is really selfish, but maybe we can make the amount of $$ to come variable somehow, this would have to be based on the honor system, or maybe not...
Maybe we could knock a bit off for the people who have come long distances - not a lot, but a noticable.
As an example only:
if everyone puts up $20, anyone travelling more than 1000miles should maybe only need to put up $10, and people that came more than 500 put up $15.
Or maybe there could be some peer sponsoring.
For example, since both my wife and I plan to attend, I would gladly put up twice the normal single attendee rate, and then maybe add $10 or whatever for someone who came from even further away - like I was sponsoring them, but without caring who it was.

Are these ideas nuts?
Old 01-26-2004 | 12:11 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Ben Z.
Awesome, Winslow! I'll try to meet up w/ you IL folks if that's cool!
It looks like you can come across 80 and then down 39. I live about 10 miles from the 80/39 intersection
Old 01-26-2004 | 01:48 PM
groa944
Instructor

Swag. Much closer to me this time, not that the trip up to Dan's place was bad.

I'll have to get my butt moving and get some work done on my 944. The Audis take up way too much of my time anymore. The poor 944 sits in the garage constantly.
Old 01-26-2004 | 01:50 PM
Boricua944
Pro

how long from augusta Ga to ohio
Old 01-26-2004 | 04:09 PM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Boricua944
how long from augusta Ga to ohio
Per mapquest.com - 575.44 miles; 9 hrs, 59 mins.
Old 01-26-2004 | 04:13 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by stahlblau
since no one else wants to I will:
That looks great!
I have the Porsche font but what font is the '944'?
Old 01-26-2004 | 04:28 PM
volv4life
Pro

excellent.. now i dont have to make it lol as i couldnt find the 944 font anywhere... "borrowed a badge image and was going to use that" stahlblau, you wouldnt happen to have the carerra font handy would you ? or anyonefor that matter.. i have a pretty good idea of a potential design
Old 01-26-2004 | 05:27 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

T-SHIRTS: I was thinking "944FEST" in the 944 logo INSIDE the p-car crest replacing the POR$CHE lettering... instead old "Stuttgart" and the horse in the center badge logo, maybe "rennlist" and another animal ?? .. different enough to not get in trouble by PCNA, but close enough so the common glance wouldnt generate a second look. I'm working on some of this stuff at home, getting the 944 lettering to curve properly without distorting is a PITA...

CAN I USE the "Rennlist" name and logo for this project- (t-shirt printing) with the proper authorization? Please John!!

MUSIC: As far as a "set" is concerned- I'm up for about anything. I'm strongly considering purchasing an acoustic bass for this year's "entertainment". I wont have a full car this year so more room for other essentials..
I've been working on a few acoustic things - and Pete MUST come out of retirement.. please, no leather pants. We need some bongo's...

Scott-- you really have to come this year. KC Wrenching Society- bring 'em on!

Hell, it was so good last year I MOVED here!

Would anyone from Iowa, or passing thru Des Moines, IA want to pick up a passenger? If so PM me.

Quick Reply: It's OFFICIAL! 944Fest at Fisheys!