Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Found" Al Holberts 951 Factory race car /AG's test mule

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 08:26 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff, Tifo. How DOES one convert a 944 to manual windows & locks? I'm presuming it could be done, if one were so inclined. Is cost a factor??

Dying to see those old photos, man. Keep the hits rollin'...
Old 01-17-2004, 08:37 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Taylor,

Well, of course as you know they did it at the factory.

But, if you got the parts from a 924 for the manual windows, it would be fairly straight forward. There has been some discussion about this lately, I know that Skip is working on a kit to do this conversion to sell thru Paragon Parts. The 944/951 door panels already have the hole for the crank already pre-cut in the back of the door panel, there is just the vinyl stretched over it. That part is already done for you.

Locks I am not certain about, I bet they are easier than the window conversion. Someone else here on the board that has done this may offer some insight.

I know that my car was ordered with no power locks and no cruise control, so most of the options were readily available, just not popular.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:46 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I figured, Tifo. I just wasn't sure how available and/or easy the swap was. Now, the $20 question is:

Dropping these luxuries nets how big a weight loss? I obviously know we're not talking a hundred pounds, but 5 here, 5 there adds up, right? Manning has done this to his 924. Also the sunroof, IIRC...

Tifo, on a total sidebar, have you seen 'Scary Movie 2'? That scene where Sean Wayans gets dragged under the bed by the clown a la 'Poletergeist' and then shows clownie a new game. Funny stuff.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:58 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Taylor,

You are right, it does all add up fast. Every little bit helps. Front seats are a big area to loose weight right away. My car is not a daily driver so I am doing the following:

Front racing seats (Forza's)
rear seat delete
AC delete
Fiberglass front and rear bumpers
Optima battery
Manual mirrors
"RS-style" door panels

All of this adds up to a decent amount of weight reduction from things I don't need anyway on the car.

For a better idea of weight reduction amounts, see here:

http://members.rennlist.org/dan10101...20savings4.xls

Hope that helps some!

Old 01-18-2004, 03:52 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info Tifo- BTW- that list has a lot of stuff on it, but, some of those weight do tend to vary- Ive weighed a lot of little parts on my car, but, I want mine to be a nice street car, so, am willing to make SOME sacrifices- like AC & power steering & I like a stereo (although no subs or large amps, etc)- I'm hoping to get some Momo street Racer seats soon- too much stuf to list- I'll try to compile a list of all the things I've done & plan to do soon & post it- I think my car will be <2900lbs before all is said & done- that's ~260lbs removed....
Old 01-18-2004, 05:45 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

re: manual windows - I believe we settled on $150'ish for the kit - search the archives, I posted the parts we'd include. Still need a g-pig to try it out - usually me, but very busy lately. Best to email if interested - not on the site yet.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone mention the no-sunroof option?
Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno-

I think it was mentioned, actually... But, I was wondering- this question has come up several times... Most people assume that non-SR cars are lighter than SR cars & I'm sure it's most always true- especially w/the ridiculously useless electric SR's of our cars... BUT- it was brought up by a few people here, awhile back, that SR cars had stronger roof support- I'm just repeating what was said as I know nothing about this, but- they said that the SR cars had structural braces that the non-SR cars did NOT- this, of course, would probably add even a few more lbs, BUT, the fibreglass material of the SR might be a hair lighter to kind of balance it out- not sure of course- thjose damn panels weigh 19lbs- well, that's what mine weighs- I want to go manual & get a 924 lid- I picked one up a few years back & there's no way it wasn't at LEAST 3lbs lighter- I also picked up a Saratoga that weighed ~15lbs too- WISH to God I had gotten in touch w/the owner- he probably would have sold me the whole car for udner $1k- it was a pretty poor example of a 924. Now, let's say you removed everything that has anything to do w/the electric SR & the lid too- then, welded in a piece of Carbon fibre to fill the hole- NOW you would have less weight than even a non-SR car & IF there is any truth to the extra structural crap in the SR cars, then, you would have a slightly stronger car too- sounds like the best deal to me for a race car, but... I picked up a carbon fibre lid once at Garrity's & it weighed LESS than 1 single pound- he said a finished one for the street would be ~3lbs- I was hoping for one w/a lot of sound deadening in it that did not exceed 5lbs- of course, having it be nicely sealed is of incredible importance to me... Danno- have you looked into making anything like this lately? What about the full carbon fibre dash you had talked about? Even better, at his point- what about some sort of carbon fibre panel or storage bin to replace the rear seat? I think it look ugly as sin to remove the seatback & leave the bottom intact- I want to remove the bottom soon- I like the 968 cab rear deck the most, but, it's as heavy as the seat w/seat-back included, so, no weight reduction there- I was considering just sticking some sound deadening on the metasl & then just carpeting straight over it, but, would like to find a way to panel it in making it more practical to carry groceries & such.... Anyway, just a thought- anyone considered trying to make somthing like this to replace the rear seat?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:57 PM
porschehead
Instructor

Default Got the pictures!

" WOW" Got the photos of the # 14 Rothmans car at Mosport, 8 of them.....
...THEY ARE AWESOME ! The guy is definantely a professional photographer to get crystal clear photos of a car passing by at over 100 MPH.

The car does have driving light mounts forward of the hood.
I will find out, but I think it ran 2 big round Hella's. Thats what it
showes on the front at Road Atlanta in 87.

Had them scanned today but had a problem with the disc. Will try to
get re scanned in next couple of days and post a couple.

Sean
Old 01-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to continue the hijack about weight loss, but...

Here are weights I came up with as measured on certified postal scales. Weights over 6 pounds are rounded to the half pound:

Window regulator, power with wiring harness (no switches) - 6 lbs

Window regulator, non power - 3 lbs 6.2 ozs

Power flag style mirror with glass - 3 lbs 6 ozs

Cup style non power mirror - 1 lb 2 ozs

Stock power fiberglass sunroof panel without hardware or interior liner - 15.5 lbs

Manual fiberglass roof panel from 924 without hardware or liner - 10.5 lbs

Sunroof interior liner - 3.8 lbs

Entire AC system including all lines, both cores (evap and condense) and controls - 50 lbs

Does that help at all.

EDIT Oh yeah, I forgot to add the weight for all the motor stuff that gets yanked out when you do the manual sunroof conversion. In total it adds up to 5 pounds, plus or minus a few ounces (I don't have those numbers right in front of me). That includes the motor, motor cover, worm gear and guide tubes.

Last edited by Manning; 01-20-2004 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: "Found" Al Holberts 951 Factory race car /AG's test mule