Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Turbo Cup Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 11:01 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 944 Turbo Cup Tire Size

Hi all,
Last week I was fortunate enough to land a set of four wonderfully straight and refinished 944 Turbo Cup Magnesium wheels on bringatrailer.com. For any of you with cup cars, can you provide the correct tire size for 16x8 and 16x9 wheels?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/po...ium-wheel-set/

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2018, 12:34 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

DOT tires or slicks?

A spec sheet I have for Euro Cups states 225/50 frt, 245/45 rear for street tires, and 245/45 frt, 255/40 rear for racing slicks. I don't recall coming across a 255/40/16 tire ever, and slicks typically do not use that sizing convention.

These days, 245/45s all around is what I did and would run on 8 and 9 x 16 mag PD's.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:20 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 183 Posts

Hi guys.

As Jim posted those are the correct sizes. I use 245 front and 265 rear on my - 89 Cup. They are Kumho Ecsta V70 R spec tires. Only ones I have found wider than 245.

//Peder

Old 07-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks for insight! Definitely for street use but only under dry conditions.

Thoughts?

Old 07-26-2018, 01:27 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Whose 245s are you running? Street or track? Not much choice in 245x16 these days.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:33 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
Hi all,
Last week I was fortunate enough to land a set of four wonderfully straight and refinished 944 Turbo Cup Magnesium wheels on bringatrailer.com. For any of you with cup cars, can you provide the correct tire size for 16x8 and 16x9 wheels?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/po...ium-wheel-set/

Thanks!
Congrats!

I saw on BAT that you are using them on an 86. Are you putting spacers on there or did you update the suspension to late offset?

Also, forgive me for saying this, but just a word of caution.as I have done a lot of work with Magnesium alloy in the past (bicycle industry) to the point where we ended up scrapping it as a potential frame material. It can be very brittle and does not like hard shocks/impacts. Often the damage can't be seen before the failure is catastrophic. I'm not certain I would want to run them on a street car. They'd be great for a replica car in a museum or private collection though.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:53 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Congrats!

I saw on BAT that you are using them on an 86. Are you putting spacers on there or did you update the suspension to late offset?

Also, forgive me for saying this, but just a word of caution.as I have done a lot of work with Magnesium alloy in the past (bicycle industry) to the point where we ended up scrapping it as a potential frame material. It can be very brittle and does not like hard shocks/impacts. Often the damage can't be seen before the failure is catastrophic. I'm not certain I would want to run them on a street car. They'd be great for a replica car in a museum or private collection though.
Still have an early offset setup - the seller assured me they would fit an 86 without spacers but if that's not the case I do have H&R spacers I can use. Given the value of the wheels and that they are now in mint condition, I'd likely only use them for shows and special occasions. Definitely don't want to be ruining such a rare find

Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Still have an early offset setup - the seller assured me they would fit an 86 without spacers but if that's not the case I do have H&R spacers I can use. Given the value of the wheels and that they are now in mint condition, I'd likely only use them for shows and special occasions. Definitely don't want to be ruining such a rare find
At ET 57 and ET 52.3 you are going to need spacers for certain.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Looks like they are set to arrive next Tuesday. I'll post pics when they arrive. Sadly, it looks like when the original owner had them reconditioned, the back of the wheel was also painted - where the wheel meets the hub. This is a real pain as once applied to the car, the lug bolts have a tendency to back out unless it's metal against metal (magnesium in this case). The paint also heats up which can make removing the wheel difficult. I've seen this on another set of reconditioned wheels I owned and had to have paint ground off by the refinisher - not something that can easily be accomplished in this case with Magnesium.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

I'm happy to play around with spacer sizing but does anyone know off hand the ideal spacer size front and rear between early and late offset 944's (ET 52.3 to ET57)?

Old 07-26-2018, 04:52 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

I'm happy to play around with spacer sizing but does anyone know off hand the ideal spacer size front and rear between early and late offset 944's (ET 52.3 to ET57)?
An old thread from 2009 that I was involved in that discussed this subject:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-question.html
Old 07-26-2018, 06:57 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 183 Posts

Congrats!

The Magnesium Cup wheels are very durable and to my knowledge have no issues like you describe. I know quite a few Cup car owners apart from myself and none has had any issues with these wheels. I would not hesitate to use them on street or track other than their rarity.
Perhaps Jim can chime in with his experience from north american owners?
​​
//Peder
Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very surprised these late offset wheels will be fitted to an early offset car.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:38 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ried
Very surprised these late offset wheels will be fitted to an early offset car.
Curious why? Unfortunately they never made the magnesium phone dials for early offset so spacers should do the trick.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:16 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
The Magnesium Cup wheels are very durable and to my knowledge have no issues like you describe. I know quite a few Cup car owners apart from myself and none has had any issues with these wheels. I would not hesitate to use them on street or track other than their rarity.
Perhaps Jim can chime in with his experience from north american owners?
​​
//Peder
Sorry for the late reply:

I used a set of the mag phone dials for track/racing use for several years, and never had an issue with them. Not common today, but some years ago I knew of at least a few cars that were racing on them consistently and I don't remember hearing of any failures.

They are a mag alloy, not pure mag. I think they are reasonably durable. By comparison, I have cracked BBS E26 cast mag centers.

Nothing I said is to imply they are bullet proof, and with any wheels this old, you don't know the history - how much hard loading (track) use they have seen, how many curbs they have hit, how many walls they have hit, etc. So there is always potential for failure, so be sure to check them thoroughly, and use them with some consideration of their material of construction, age, and current and future collector value.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Cup Tire Size