Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018 | 12:45 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r3cr0
I finally got a chance to get under my car last night, there’s a fair amount around the cv joint area. I think the noise I am hearing is unrelated to that though. Here is an audio clip of the noise.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ix...YBDzaXF27wSqeZ
That link is secured.
Old 07-24-2018 | 03:06 PM
r3cr0
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
That link is secured.
Fixed. Forgot to change sharing permissions
Old 07-24-2018 | 07:28 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

You know, you might want to tell us the year and model of the car. All noise aside, if you found those pieces you showed in the original pictures and they came from your car, it shouldn't be able to move under its own power, unless you have limited slip, in which case it might move but with a tremendous racket. Regardless, it should be pretty obvious visually if one of your CV joints has burst. You know there are 4 of them to inspect? Inner/outer times 2 sides.
Old 07-24-2018 | 08:27 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with Harvey on this; if you shattered a CV joint, the car should be pretty much dead in the water.

On the other hand, that bearing in the photo you sent sure looks like it came from a CV joint, so maybe it isn't from your car? I don't know of any other bearings that size in a 944.
Old 07-24-2018 | 08:39 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tempest411
Do you think it's one of those Russian trolls looking to undermine our democracy?

No. I was just suspecting a standard troll.

Originally Posted by r3cr0
This username isn’t a random combination of numbers and letters yet it appears to be, it has a meaning to me. I recently got my car and it broke the day I was leaving for vacation which happened to be a 1000 miles away from my house.
My apologies.

There have been a number of these popping up over the few years I've been on here.

"Hit & Run" posting, asking questions that are fairly clear to those of us that have been reasonably deep into our cars.

Never to be heard from again.
I suspect that it's owners of a 'certain type' of car that have a reputation of looking down at those of us with front engined cars.

Back to your problem:

The pic you posted is of the ball from the CV joint. As Scott (Otto) noted, there isn't anywhere else that uses a ball that size (at least not that I can think of).
A broken CV joint would leave the car sitting, unable to move.

You can change out an axle without pulling the hub or wheel. You just need to get it up in the air. And a triple square of the right size (can't think of it offhand).
Old 07-24-2018 | 09:07 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
I suspect that it's owners of a 'certain type' of car that have a reputation of looking down at those of us with front engined cars.
Not the dreaded 911 drivers? My suspicion is they've managed to mellow with age. As far as I know the last 911 was sold right around 1989 and for a few years they were jealous of the 944 Turbos and S2s that were occasionally whipping their butts on the track I remember those days sort of fondly. I bought a 928 back then and got the full on rage treatment right up front in my face...

But I don't really think they're problems anymore. The new "911"s aren't really 911s either and I would hope their owners have made their own sort of peace with that.

Sorry. That was off-topic but you started it...
Old 07-25-2018 | 09:49 AM
r3cr0
5th Gear

Originally Posted by harveyf
You know, you might want to tell us the year and model of the car. All noise aside, if you found those pieces you showed in the original pictures and they came from your car, it shouldn't be able to move under its own power, unless you have limited slip, in which case it might move but with a tremendous racket. Regardless, it should be pretty obvious visually if one of your CV joints has burst. You know there are 4 of them to inspect? Inner/outer times 2 sides.

It is a 1984 944
Old 07-25-2018 | 10:29 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

OK, it's a 1984. That helps. I own a 85 and just sold an 84. My comments remain as posted. If those parts came from that car, then something should be very obvious visually and you are looking at replacing a CV joint. If that noise on the recording is when you are letting out the clutch, it is the loose end of the half shaft flaying around inside the broken CV housing.

Quick Reply: 944 problem